2015 baseball HOF ballot. Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 2/7/2014 11:21:00 AM (view original):
Well, you seem to be compartmentalizing my argument.  

1.  I think he played long enough and I think he had a nice run of "peak years."    HOF eligible.
2.  He was a pretty good hitter but, unfortunately, he didn't play the field.   That's a mark in the bad column.
3.  He was a 3-4-5 hitter but, IMO, he walked a great deal.   Was he pitched around?  Unlikely with A-Rod and Griffey in the line-up.  Bad, IMO.
4.  It's not like when he swung, he made connection.   He struck out once every 6 AB.   Bad.
5.  We're speculating but we seem to agree he became a DH to lessen the risk of injury.  Bad.

All in all, he was a pretty good hitter.  Maybe even really good.   But he wasn't dominant at the plate during his peak and he didn't play the field.   That's just no HOF material to me.
A lot of great hitters strike out.  It's an out.  The idea of "making a productive out" is kinda overblown, IMO.  Striking out also means it's not a DP.

Maybe he didn't constantly get strikes because he was a HOF quality hitter.  Also, ARod played his first full season when Edgar was 33.

I agree with the DH concerns.
2/7/2014 12:10 PM
Also, FWIW, he was intentionally walked 113 times.
2/7/2014 12:12 PM
Regarding #4, other hitters with K rates similar to Edgar's:

Barry Bonds
Willie Mays
Derek Jeter
Craig Biggio
Johnny Bench
Carlton Fisk
Roger Maris
Frank Thomas
Orlando Cepeda
Kirby Puckett
2/7/2014 12:36 PM
Not only does Jeter not walk much, when he swings, he often misses.  Overrated.
2/7/2014 12:45 PM

I mentioned #4 in relation to #3.   I think he walked because he choose not to swing not because he always hit the ball when he swung.   I agree not making an out is a good thing but, as I said, I view the "job" of the 3/4/5 guys differently than I do the 1/2 or even the 8/9.   "Pass it to the next guy" isn't what I want on the minds of my 3/4/5 batters. 

Martinez's peak years fell well within the careers of A-Rod/Griffey.   Let's not pretend they didn't. 

Finally, we're not discussing Jeter's HOF-qualifications.  He's still active.  Let's stay on topic.

2/7/2014 12:54 PM
I better clarify this:  "I think he walked because he choose not to swing not because he always hit the ball when he swung" because, quite frankly, it's about as clear as mud.

Some guys don't walk because they seldom swing and miss.   It's difficult to walk if you take two balls and put the third in play because you're a contact guy. 
2/7/2014 12:59 PM
"Pass it to the next guy" must have been on Mantle's mind as well.  I don't care who's in your lineup, when you walk 13% of the time, you obviously aren't swinging enough.
2/7/2014 1:00 PM
EM had most of his atbats batting 4th, 2nd most batting 3rd.  If he walked, that meant that Griffey or ARod was up next, right?  Highly productive plate appearance.  And when he didn't walk, he was much more likely to do damage with the ball than the vast majority.
2/7/2014 1:05 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/7/2014 12:54:00 PM (view original):

I mentioned #4 in relation to #3.   I think he walked because he choose not to swing not because he always hit the ball when he swung.   I agree not making an out is a good thing but, as I said, I view the "job" of the 3/4/5 guys differently than I do the 1/2 or even the 8/9.   "Pass it to the next guy" isn't what I want on the minds of my 3/4/5 batters. 

Martinez's peak years fell well within the careers of A-Rod/Griffey.   Let's not pretend they didn't. 

Finally, we're not discussing Jeter's HOF-qualifications.  He's still active.  Let's stay on topic.

Retarded. The job of all hitters is to not make outs. The alternative to a walk is usually not a hit, it's usually an out. Walking less makes hitters less valuable, even in the 3/4/5 slot.

2/7/2014 1:06 PM
I've ignored you "Martinez/Mantle" comparisons because that's retarded.   Do you really expect me to address your dumbassery?

Edgar Martinez's mom once said "Edgar is good but please don't compare him to Mantle.  That would be retarded."
2/7/2014 1:06 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/7/2014 1:06:00 PM (view original):

Retarded. The job of all hitters is to no make outs. The alternative to a walk is usually not a hit, it's usually an out. Walking less makes hitters less valuable, even in the 3/4/5 slot.

I think he's mostly trolling, but it's not completely retarded, I get what he's saying.  That guy who hits .260/.370/.400 is probably someone I want batting 2nd, not 5th, when more guys are likely on base.  But that wasn't Edgar.
2/7/2014 1:07 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/7/2014 1:08:00 PM (view original):

Retarded. The job of all hitters is to not make outs. The alternative to a walk is usually not a hit, it's usually an out. Walking less makes hitters less valuable, even in the 3/4/5 slot.

The idea is to score runs.   First and third, two outs.   Do you want Edgar Martinez swinging or passing it on to Mike Blauser?
2/7/2014 1:08 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/7/2014 1:06:00 PM (view original):
I've ignored you "Martinez/Mantle" comparisons because that's retarded.   Do you really expect me to address your dumbassery?

Edgar Martinez's mom once said "Edgar is good but please don't compare him to Mantle.  That would be retarded."
I'm using your retarded argument against you.  Mantle walked 13% of the time.  Edgar walked 10% of the time.  Mantle struck out more often than Edgar.  Edgar got more hits than Mantle.  I want my middle of the order guy getting hits, not walking and striking out with guys on base.  Mantle's in the "HOF of walking."
2/7/2014 1:09 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/7/2014 1:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 2/7/2014 1:08:00 PM (view original):

The idea is to score runs.   First and third, two outs.   Do you want Edgar Martinez swinging or passing it on to Mike Blauser?
Again, it's probably A-Rod or Griffey.
2/7/2014 1:10 PM
And, yeah, I'm not sure Mike Blauser played for Seattle or if I even have the name right.   But they had a handful of ****** 3B that couldn't hit.
2/7/2014 1:10 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...56 Next ▸
2015 baseball HOF ballot. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.