Which is the better rebounding team? Topic

Assume the following is the average REB rating at each position. Which team will be better at rebounding? (Assume everything else - ATH, STA, IQ's - is the same for both teams' players.)

Team 1:
C: 85 REB rating
PF: 70 REB
SF: 30 REB
SG: 10 REB
PG: 0 REB

Team 2:
C: 70 REB rating
PF: 60 REB
SF: 55 REB
SG: 50 REB
PG: 20 REB

1/8/2014 4:23 PM
I would guess team 2, as the 55 and 50 guys will pull in approximately 5 a piece. But, that's just a guess.
1/8/2014 4:25 PM
It would be close, I would probably lean towards team 1.
1/8/2014 5:01 PM
I think I would lean towards team 2.  But I tend to have teams like team 1 and it feels like we get out-rebounded more than I'd expect by teams like team 2, so I'm probably a little biased.
1/8/2014 5:43 PM
Yeah killbatman, I usually have teams like 1 as well, but I asked because this year I'm going to be more like 2. I was preparing for a dropoff in rebounding but wanted to check what others have seen.
1/8/2014 6:46 PM
This could be totally wrong, but someone once explained to me that a TEAMS average rebounding is what determines how well the team rebounds and that the individual ratings are just for how likely each player on the team is to get once of those rebounds.  (And the same for passing and assists)  So in your case, even though team 1's big men have better ratings, team 2's big men will probably put up similar stats because they are on a team with better rebounding ratings.  
I hope I explained myself well.  It could be I'm totally wrong, and if so, let me know.
1/8/2014 7:45 PM
You're wrong.  Rebounding is done on a team basis, with rebounds later allocated to individual players.  However, there are positional modifiers weighting the importance of each position to the team rebounding.  In other words, when a rebound is determined, it compares each team's aggregate rebounding score.  But that aggregate score isn't just the sum of the rebounding ratings of the players on the floor.  It isn't even just the sum of the players' overall rebounding abilities (primarily some combination of REB and ATH, weighted heavily towards REB).  It's something like 1*CTREB + 1*PFTREB + .5*SFTREB + .2PGTREB + .2SGTREB, where TREB is some total rebounding metric.  Those numbers aren't precise, and I have decent numbers, but I won't give them away in extreme detail.  As simple estimates those aren't horrible.
1/8/2014 9:15 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/8/2014 9:15:00 PM (view original):
You're wrong.  Rebounding is done on a team basis, with rebounds later allocated to individual players.  However, there are positional modifiers weighting the importance of each position to the team rebounding.  In other words, when a rebound is determined, it compares each team's aggregate rebounding score.  But that aggregate score isn't just the sum of the rebounding ratings of the players on the floor.  It isn't even just the sum of the players' overall rebounding abilities (primarily some combination of REB and ATH, weighted heavily towards REB).  It's something like 1*CTREB + 1*PFTREB + .5*SFTREB + .2PGTREB + .2SGTREB, where TREB is some total rebounding metric.  Those numbers aren't precise, and I have decent numbers, but I won't give them away in extreme detail.  As simple estimates those aren't horrible.
So I'm not sure I understand 100% what your saying.  But it sounds like you agree withe me.  Cuz basically what your saying is, that the better rebounding ratings your guards have the more likely your center is to get a rebound.
1/8/2014 11:01 PM

Except, dahs, don't I remember something about a change that makes positional mismatches more important? 

Here it is.

2-16-2011 update notes ...

Added an individual player matchup component to rebounding, so that a mismatch will produce better numbers from the player with the advantage. This will in turn create a little more separation between the truly good rebounding teams and poor rebounding teams.

1/9/2014 11:07 AM
Posted by dan2044 on 1/8/2014 11:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/8/2014 9:15:00 PM (view original):
So I'm not sure I understand 100% what your saying.  But it sounds like you agree withe me.  Cuz basically what your saying is, that the better rebounding ratings your guards have the more likely your center is to get a rebound.

Not exactly, but almost.  In his example/equation:  A guard with 100 rebounding rating is worth 20 rebounding rating on Center (because it's weighted differently due to position).  Yes the guard rating does impact the overall team rebounding rating, but not as much as you may think because of his position in the starting line up (his actual position given by WIS doesn't matter really, especially since there is not position penatly). 

So if you take a guard with 50 rebounding and factor in the position he is playing on the court - it's really just worth 10.... which is not likely to make that much of a difference over the course of a whole season.

Keep in mind, he's not saying the those are the exact modifiers.... that's top secret.

Now, if you played the guard in the center position... I assume his effectiveness would improve because the modifier would not apply?? 

1/9/2014 11:27 AM (edited)
i have couple sf's in the mid 40's on my team they are pulling down 4.1, and 4.3 rpg.
1/9/2014 4:39 PM
which i could move them to the sg or pf slots on occasion they become valuable
1/9/2014 4:40 PM
why would someone have good information and not be willing to share it?  I have never understood people who want to win on an unfair playing field but I guess different people is what makes the world go 'round. 
1/9/2014 9:05 PM
Posted by tbird9423 on 1/9/2014 9:05:00 PM (view original):
why would someone have good information and not be willing to share it?  I have never understood people who want to win on an unfair playing field but I guess different people is what makes the world go 'round. 
Nothing unfair about figuring something out via your own work and observations and not sharing it.
1/9/2014 10:19 PM
I think team #2 and not even close
1/9/2014 10:50 PM
12 Next ▸
Which is the better rebounding team? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.