I'm back! (recruit tool 2.0 beta inside) Topic

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but I haven't really played this game seriously for like 2.5 years.  I finally picked up a team and I'm looking to get serious again with this new engine.  

And since I'm getting serious again, I'm getting pumped about my tools again.  I've got a nice update coming on the recruiting tool.  Some of these updates are literally years in the making!  It's not done quite yet, but I'm excited so here's a beta (we all love betas right?  )

http://gdreports.com/tools/yatzr/yatzr_recruit_tool_2.0eta.jar

Feedback is very welcome.
Here's a quick rundown of the changes:

Added connection options (Options->Connectivity) - enter your username and password here...they'll be saved for all actions (yay!)
-Option to connect to www.wisjournal.com instead of www.whatifsports.com
-Option to connect via a proxy

Added loading screen when first starting up the tool, so you don't sit there and wonder if you double clicked it just right.

Added Analysis button that shows a brief analysis of your recruiting pool. Discussion on "vision score" to come.

Added Team Info button to show an analysis of your team as it is now as well as what positions you are recruiting. You can enter a number in the wanted boxes and the number will be saved immediately (hence the slowness of entering the number).

Added "Backups" search box. This will search for unsigned players that are considering a school that has filled up their scholarships. In my experience, these players will typically become undecided on the next cycle.

You can now launch the Recruit Action Scheduler from here under the Data menu. Doing this makes it so you don't have to enter your username, pass, and team id into the recruit action scheduler.

And maybe something else I forgot about?

2/9/2014 9:30 PM (edited)
By the way...does anyone have an equation for how much an AC Scout costs?  I'm too lazy to figure it out myself.  I'm expecting something like
<180 miles :: cost = x*miles + y
<360 miles :: cost = x*miles + y
etc
1/8/2014 11:26 PM
cool, nice to see you back

added a lot of value to the game much like bhazelwood

1/8/2014 11:39 PM
Yatzr - first great to have you back updating things.  Here are some quick thoughts:

Analysis - like it.  Definitely a nice to have feature.
Backups - love this part as I have to do this manually these days.  Hopefully this works well ;-)
Team Info - pretty awesome.  Would be nice if you also listed running tallies of S 1 column numbers as well just to keep track of what Im after.

Recruit Action Scheduler - would be awesome if this one could be integrated into the tool to allow full Mass Recruiting with HC calls/visits/etc.  Will have more on this later.
1/9/2014 12:15 AM
The "vision score" is based on this thread.  I use an equation for OL (not the exact one in that thread, but one like it) to rate the OL and then show the highest rated one within your vision.  I use OL cause there's always more of them than any other position.  The resulting number is the approximate cutoff that WIS uses to determine which OL you can see and which ones you can't see.  The number by itself is pretty meaningless.  It's usefulness comes when comparing your number season to season or between schools.  You should even be able to load up old season files into this version of the tool and check this number.

1/9/2014 9:43 AM
yatzr:  I have not yet looked at the tool, but I'm totally amazed at just the description.  YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!

We all love you and cannot play this game without your tools.
1/9/2014 9:51 AM
I get an error everytime I try to update recruits..it gets to search #30 and quits trying giving an error.
1/9/2014 11:52 AM
I'm somewhat like Noah.  I have been able to successfully update, but 2 out of 3 times I get an error and its really, really slow vs the previous version (16 threads).  The error is actually a timeout error.
1/9/2014 12:29 PM
Oh yeah, another change I made that I forgot to mention.  It no longer silently fails when grabbing recruits.  It used to be that if one thread failed on a search, the rest of the threads would chug on and finish.  Then you'd end up with missing recruits or recruits with all 0's for attributes.  I changed it so now if one thread fails, they all stop.  If the tool is failing for you now, it's likely it was failing before as well, and you were ending up with missing data.  It also used to be that if a thread failed a search, it would retry the same search 10 times before giving up.  I upped that to 20 which is probably causing the slowness you're seeing.

Try using fewer threads and make sure you don't have something else on your network hogging up bandwidth.  Also feel free to sitemail me errors from your error logs.  If the timeouts are too common, I can try messing with the timeout settings.

1/9/2014 12:51 PM
These formulas, when rounded, should  be within $1 for all distances. If they are off, let me know because I may have mistyped something.
Assistant Coach Scout:
<180 miles: 124.28+.203*miles
<360 miles:  198.33 + .204*miles
<1400 miles: 459.83+ .124*miles
>1400 miles: 700

Head Coach Scout:
<180 miles: 224.48 + .3*miles
<360 miles: 299.43 + .3*miles
<1400 miles: 559.63 + .175*miles
>1400 miles: 1000

Assistant Coach Visit:
<180 miles: 399.28+.203*miles
<360 miles: 473.33 + .204*miles
<1400 miles: 801.96 + .125*miles
>1400 miles: 1069.96 + .175*miles (maxes out at $1500 at some point around 2500 miles)

Head Coach Visit:
<180 miles: 499.48 + .3*miles
<360 miles: 574.43 + .3*miles
<1400 miles: 1101.96 + .125*miles
>1400 miles: 1168.35 + .3*miles (maxes out at $2250 at some point around 2500 miles)

Campus Visit:
<180 miles: 799.47 + .126*miles
<360 miles: 999.64 + .124*miles
<1400 miles: 1199.63+ .175*miles
>1400 miles: 1598.35 + .3*miles

1/9/2014 1:04 PM
Thanks rwilcox5!  Those will help me out immensely!
1/9/2014 1:58 PM
Yatzr - in the backups algorithm, could you modify it to not just show the ones from teams that are all signed and about to go free, but also those from teams that have signed all but one scholarship?  Even making this a toggle to enable as needed would be useful.  This way I could watch recruits for a while as D1 schools battle it out and I can try to scoop up their scraps down in D1AA. ;-)
1/9/2014 3:40 PM
Love the new features.  Thanks for adding those.

Quick question: I clicked on the mileage of a certain player and a new screen popped up that showed a comparison of the distances between the schools closest to that guy.  I closed that box and attempted to do it again for another player... but it didn't work.  How we do get the program to re-open that mileage comparison window?
1/9/2014 9:54 PM
Posted by missouridawg on 1/9/2014 9:54:00 PM (view original):
Love the new features.  Thanks for adding those.

Quick question: I clicked on the mileage of a certain player and a new screen popped up that showed a comparison of the distances between the schools closest to that guy.  I closed that box and attempted to do it again for another player... but it didn't work.  How we do get the program to re-open that mileage comparison window?
Did the window not pop up again, or was it blank?  If it was blank, it's possible the tool didn't know the town for that recruit.  If it wouldn't pop open again...then I'm not quite sure what could've happened.
1/9/2014 11:08 PM
Posted by jtd79 on 1/9/2014 3:40:00 PM (view original):
Yatzr - in the backups algorithm, could you modify it to not just show the ones from teams that are all signed and about to go free, but also those from teams that have signed all but one scholarship?  Even making this a toggle to enable as needed would be useful.  This way I could watch recruits for a while as D1 schools battle it out and I can try to scoop up their scraps down in D1AA. ;-)
I'll have to think about this one a bit.  It's just as reasonable to show recruits when there's a bunch of them considering a school with only 2 scholarships left.  Where should the cutoff be?  Right now I'm thinking of showing them if there's 6+ considering a school with 3 scholarship left, 4+ considering a school with 2 scholarships left, or 2+ if there's a school considering a school with 1 scholarship left.  Basically show recruits with a 50% or less chance of being signed.
1/9/2014 11:13 PM
123456 Next ▸
I'm back! (recruit tool 2.0 beta inside) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.