D3, Season 71 Topic

The wind was very loud last night and it kept waking me up so I'm very tired.  How's that for an interesting stat of the day?

Last Night
#2 Texas Lutheran 83   Worcester St. 63
Texas Lutheran shook of their supposed GotN jinx and opened up an 8 point halftime lead.  The home team fought back to close the gap but the Bulldogs of TL were able to hold off the charge and effectively put the game out of reach about halfway through the second half.  Texas Lutheran and ajlillie moved up a spot in the rankings after the road win and Worcester St and kneehouse now find themselves in the others receiving votes section.

Also considered: #14 Ursinus edged #24 Whittier 92-86, #9 Piedmont stayed perfect with a road win over UMass Dartmouth 64-51, #13 John Carroll prevailed in a double overtime thriller against Colorado 91-86, #23 Hamline took care of Wittenberg at home 79-61, and Millsaps got past Howard Payne 76-64.

Sim blowout watch: The blowout watch enjoyed a quite evening at home, eating ice cream and watching historical documentaries.

GotN
#13 John Carroll (7-1)(whit6r) at #15 Louisiana (8-0)(discodave)
A nice Ohio and University conference matchup tonight as these two coaches look to break the 2-2 tie in the all-time series.  The home-team Wildcats are favored by 1 over the visiting Blue Streaks.

Also considered: #4 Ozarks at #20 W. New England, #11 Emory at #7 Hardin-Simmons, #17 Ramapo at Medgar Evers, #21 Lynchburg at Wisconsin La Crosse, and #23 Hamline at Austin

Sim blowout watch: SUNY Oneonta is a 34 point road dog as they travel to visit #19 Stillman.
1/27/2014 1:00 PM
I feel your pain psuedo, wind was bad for me too.
1/27/2014 4:57 PM
me too.  Got about 3 hours of sleep.  Draggin tail today
1/27/2014 5:02 PM
SotD: In the Milsaps vs. J&W game, there were 10 lead changes and 13 ties. The largest lead for Milsaps was 3, and the largest lead for J&W was 8. This should have been the GotN. There was also a combined 32 TO's compared to only 16 assists.
1/28/2014 9:32 AM
We have a new #1 team as J-Dub suffered their first loss of the season last night and we're down to sixteen undefeated teams.

Last Night
#21 John Carroll 61   #11 Louisiana 91
Wow... um.... yeah, how about we just move along.  Nothing to see here.

Also considered: #4 Ozarks pulled away late for a 76-72 road win over W. New England, #7 Emory used a big second half to take out #10 Hardin-Simmons 90-78, #16 Ramapo dominated the overtime to win at Medgar Evers 76-67, #17 Lynchburg got past Wisconsin La Crosse 80-69, and #19 Hamline survived an overtime scare from Austin 97-95.

Sim blowout watch: SUNY Oneonta was able to cover against #20 Stillman 72-94.

GotN
#5 S. Vermont (9-0)(fungunn10) at #7 Emory (8-1)(phalla)
We have four games between ranked teams tonight and all four look really solid.  I'm going with this battle of GNE at University, one of the several GNE-University challenge games this year.  S. Vermont will be looking to get the GNE back on track after Millsaps "kept it respectable" against Johnson and Wales last night.  phalla won the only previous meeting between these two coaches and the odds-makers have it as an even pick.

Also considered: #15 Rivier at #2 Trinity, #13 Piedmont at #3 Johnson and Wales, and #10 Hardin-Simmons at #16 Ramapo

Sim blowout watch: All you guys must be scheduling harder since we have another night with no crazy simmed spreads.  The blowout watch isn't worried though, it'll have plenty of chances come conference seasons.
1/28/2014 12:58 PM
Chalk it up to the winds?
1/28/2014 2:51 PM
Posted by theriddler on 1/27/2014 2:57:00 AM (view original):
I've got your SotDtDTMRaaBiJROamftB  ("Stat of the Day that Didn't Take Much Research at all Because it Jumped Right Out at me from the Boxscore") right here:

The overtime score for my Vassar squad's road game against Monmouth was 19-0 (in my favor, fortunately).  Anybody else ever seen an OT shutout of that magnitude in HD?
hahaha, now that's funny yo. I did 6 years in the corps, so I'm extremely partial to longwinded acronyms.
1/28/2014 4:06 PM
Gordon actually has a good team.
1/29/2014 7:36 AM
SotD: Ozarks was averaging 80 points per game and Emmanuel gave up 60 points per game. This lead to Ozarks scoring only 40 points, yet they made all of their 3-pointers. The University - Great NE challenge ended in a 5-5 tie. We can make the tiebreaker game my victory over Emmanuel. :)
1/29/2014 10:26 AM
Another new #1 team today as apparently the voters were more impressed with Trinity's win than Texas Lutheran's win.  The voters are a fickle bunch sometimes.  Fifteen teams made it through the non-conference schedule undefeated, six of which are simmed.  On the other side fourteen teams are yet to get their first win.

Last Night
#4 S. Vermont 67   #10 Emory 63
This one was tied at 29 at the break after a closely fought first half.  The visitors were able in the second half to slowly build up a lead and maintain it.  With just under a minute left in the game S. Vermont had a 7 point lead and had to feel pretty good, Emory however had other plans.  Three straight Emory possessions resulting in points and a couple missed free throws later the home team sent the crowd into a frenzy by burying a 3ptr to cut the lead to just 1 with seventeen seconds to play.  S. Vermont was able to regain the composure to sink their next two free throws and two Emory 3ptrs that would've tied the game rattled out.  One more free throw sealed it and the Emory fans went home disappointed.  S. Vermont and fungunn moved up one spot in the rankings with the win and finished the non-conference at a perfect 10-0.  Emory and phalla were dealt their second loss slipped to the edge of the top ten.

Also considered: New #1 Trinity got the big home win over #25 Rivier 65-55, #3 Johnson and Wales downed #21 Piedmont 75-67, and #12 Ramapo also got to 10-0 with a 94-89 home win over #14 Hardin-Simmons.

Sim blowout watch: The sim blowout watch spent another relaxing evening at home by itself, catching up on recorded How I Met Your Mother episodes.

Enjoy the off night tonight everyone, conference seasons start up tomorrow night.
1/29/2014 12:04 PM
Conference play begins tonight, everyone have fun and be nice to your neighbors.

GotN
#22 Millsaps (7-3)(brianxavier) at #7 Ozarks (9-1)(westcoast22)
We start off the conference slate, not surprisingly, with a trip to the University.  We start off with a cross-divisional matchup between ranked teams with top 15 RPI ratings.  Ho-hum, just another day in the University.  brian has a big lead in the all-time series but westcoast has his team favored by 2 at home.

Also considered: #4 S. Vermont at #25 Rivier, Hendrix at #9 Louisiana, Earlham at #17 Wittenberg, and Southwestern at #19 Stillman

Sim blowout watch: The blowout watch is so happy to see the appearance of conference games.  To kick us off, CMHMS is getting 56 points as they visit #15 Whittier.  It seriously took me about five minutes of internet searching to figure out what the hell CMHMS is.  Apparently Claremont McKenna, Harvey Mudd, and Scripps colleges all compete in athletics together.  That's confusing.

ITaLRbHAGotN
Muskingum (7-3)(tlyne) at Maryville (10-0)(nachopuzzle)
The Ohio conference picked up some new members this past off-season and here we have two of them facing off for the first time to open up this season's edition of "It Took a Little Research but Here's Another Game of the Night".  And it should be a good one as the Fighting Muskies pay a visit to the Scots of Maryville.  Whoa, it's yet another Scots mascot, although these aren't necessarily the "Fighting" kind from Wooster.  Maybe they're lovers instead of fighters.  We'll find out tonight, Maryville is an 11 point favorite.
1/30/2014 11:35 AM
We were the "Drunken Scots", but the Scottish Anti-Defamation League (SADL) saddled us with a lawsuit. So, we took a vote and what we finally came to an agreement on was The "Smart but Emotionally Aloof" Scots.

Shortly after, we also agreed that we should probably stop reading teenage vampire fiction.

1/30/2014 2:39 PM (edited)
That is simply a fantastic post.  Love it.
1/30/2014 1:09 PM
Posted by pseudochamp on 1/30/2014 1:09:00 PM (view original):
That is simply a fantastic post.  Love it.
Thanks for the lTaLRbHAGotN shout-out, couldn't have been more happy that we made the cut, I honestly have a soft spot for overreaching acronyms.

Hopefully it will give my boys some motivation for tonight's game...at the afternoon shoot around we looked a little "closed-off" and "distant".

1/30/2014 1:36 PM
 : )
1/30/2014 2:20 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...17 Next ▸
D3, Season 71 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.