Why does everyone always defend Peyton Manning? Topic

I don't understand it. Can someone explain it to me? I think he gets to much credit and here are some of my reasons why:
  • All his audible stuff at the line is made such a big deal of, but no one talks about it when he loses?
  • He's 11-12 in the postseason and has the most postseason losses ever!
  • He's lost many playoff games the Colts and Broncos (last year and SB) were favored in
  • People blame the mistakes on his receivers. For example, Troy Aikman said the receiver should've come back on that 2nd pick last night. How could he have?!?! He made a bad decision instead of taking a sack.
  • He is a stat accumulator. Great fantasy football QB. Not so in the playoffs when it matters.
  • My friend had this gem "However this game turns out it's not mannings fault. Dude has over 33 reception which broke the Super Bowl record haha". If you compare YPA last night Russell Wilson had 8.24 YPA compared to Mannings 5.7. All he did was throw 3 yard screens. They didn't even get a first down until the 2nd quarter!!
  • The #1 offense of all time goes into the superbowl and only scores 8 points.
Tell me that people don't or that they do please, because I just don't understand

2/3/2014 10:03 PM
  • All his audible stuff at the line is made such a big deal of, but no one talks about it when he loses?  I think people notice when he loses.
  • He's 11-12 in the postseason and has the most postseason losses ever!  He's led his team to a lot of playoffs.  How did the Colts do during the season he missed?
  • He's lost many playoff games the Colts and Broncos (last year and SB) were favored in  Denver's defense and special teams allowed a number of points last night.
  • People blame the mistakes on his receivers. For example, Troy Aikman said the receiver should've come back on that 2nd pick last night. How could he have?!?! He made a bad decision instead of taking a sack.  He did have a very bad game last night.  Can't argue that.
  • He is a stat accumulator. Great fantasy football QB. Not so in the playoffs when it matters.
  • My friend had this gem "However this game turns out it's not mannings fault. Dude has over 33 reception which broke the Super Bowl record haha". If you compare YPA last night Russell Wilson had 8.24 YPA compared to Mannings 5.7. All he did was throw 3 yard screens. They didn't even get a first down until the 2nd quarter!!
  • The #1 offense of all time goes into the superbowl and only scores 8 points.  Manning played lousy, but Denver had a lousy game plan and made some horrible coaching decisions last night.  The dumbest was not taking a field goal near the end of the first half, instead going for it on 4th and 2 from the Seattle 19 yard line.  You don't pass on an opportunity to take easy points from the best defense in the NFL, especially when the downside is to give an even bigger pyschological boost to the defense if/when you don't make it.  That was a horrible coaching decision.
2/3/2014 10:15 PM
You're defending him very passionately. Why???? I'm not exactly asking for a counter-argument I'm just asking why do you defend him on those first points??
2/3/2014 10:17 PM
If your argument is that Manning had a bad game against a very good defense, you're right.   And it has happened before(to a lot of QBs).

If your argument is that Manning gets way too much credit and shouldn't be in the discussion of Greatest of all-time, you're off base.
r
2/3/2014 10:21 PM
"He did have a very bad game last night.  Can't argue that."

"Manning played lousy"

How am I "defending him very passionately"?  I'm just pointing out that this was a total team loss last night.  It's not all on him.  Seattle played a near flawless game.  Denver was horrible from the first snap of the game (which wasn't Manning's fault).
2/3/2014 10:22 PM
You're making excuses for him. Why do you feel that need to defend him is what I'm asking?  It started off with an error on him and his center, not just on the center and caused a safety. How is that not HIS fault? It's called the center-quarterback EXCHANGE. Going 3 and out on their 2nd drive didn't help. He screwed himself over and early, the game was over in the 2nd quarter, and had a chance to shut the gap early, which he didn't. The Denver defensive errors didn't add insult to injury until later and he had time to make it up. All I'm asking is why are you making those excuses?

Even last year in the divisional round against Baltimore, the Broncos were lucky to be that close. They had 2 special teams TDs if I recall!!!

MikeT23, I do think he's one of the greatest REGULAR-SEASON qbs of all time. Not even top 5 in Post-Season is my point and isn't that what it's all about?
2/3/2014 10:34 PM
I think post-season success is overrated.    Only one team can win the last game of the season.   Some pretty bad QB have done just that.   Is Marino **** because he couldn't?  Is Dilfer great because he could?
2/3/2014 10:37 PM
Defense wins championships.
You can't win the game by yourself.
It's a team game.
Quarterbacks get too much of the credit when you win, and too much of the blame when you lose.

All cliches, all true.
2/3/2014 10:38 PM
A quote from Jim Irsay, Colts Owner:

"We've changed our model a little bit, because we wanted more than one of these," Irsay says, flicking up his right hand to show his Super Bowl XLI championship ring.

"(Tom) Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these," Irsay adds. "Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated.

"You make the playoffs 11 times, and you're out in the first round seven out of 11 times. You love to have the Star Wars numbers from Peyton and Marvin (Harrison) and Reggie (Wayne). Mostly, you love this."

Then Irsay flicks up his right hand again.

2/3/2014 10:46 PM
Irsay's an idiot.  If he's your source, you need a new source.     How many of those does he have without Manning? (flicks his right hand up).
2/3/2014 10:51 PM
"You make the playoffs 11 times, and you're out in the first round seven out of 11 times.

Fact
2/3/2014 10:53 PM
How many rings does Irsay have without Manning?
2/3/2014 10:57 PM
0. How many did the Broncos get with him?
2/3/2014 10:58 PM
Mike Vanderjagt is to blame for one of those early post season exits!
2/3/2014 10:59 PM
Since the 2013 players were just released, 2013 Peyton Manning is the most expensive QB in the database.

16 100 100 81 77 8 1 659 450 68.3 5477 55 10 32 -31 $10,367,562
2/3/2014 11:02 PM
1234 Next ▸
Why does everyone always defend Peyton Manning? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.