Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Posted by rsp777 on 3/1/2014 4:04:00 PM (view original):
And on both counts you're WRONG Mike. As for Cabrera, we all KNOW you never even WATCHED him play 3rd. I watched him for 2 seasons. Look at his fielding numbers. Your argument doesn't hold water.  And the entire free world KNOWS and has SEEN what a **** fielder Jeter is. End of story. As to Ripken...I don't think he EVER hurt his team by going out there. He also had the sense to move to third when a better shortstop came to town and, unlike your hero Gehrig, didn't fudge appearances to set a record. You can sit on your high horse for eternity but you'll NEVER be right.

CLOSED!!!

Quit slobbering Cabrera's defensive ****.   He was brutal at third.   But he's probably the best hitter in baseball so it's OK.    Just accept that the average high school 3B could play better defense and you'll be alright.
3/2/2014 7:13 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 3/1/2014 10:01:00 PM (view original):
I can't answer that. Ripken showed up to play. It's up to the manager if he's in the lineup. No player is going to bench himself when he's healthy - NONE.

Switching positions is not the same as benching yourself because if Jeter switches positions, his bat is still in the lineup. You're implying Ripken should have straight up taken himself out of games. It's not even close to being the same comparison.

And as I previously pointed out, even if Ripken's bat was below average at times, his defense was always superior, so he still wasn't hurting his team if he wasn't getting it done at the plate.
It is common, or even reasonable, for a manager to write the name of a player in decline in his mid to late 30's on the lineup card 162 times a season?
3/2/2014 7:35 AM
Are herniated discs, sprained knees and hyper-extended elbows healthy?

http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/cal-ripken-gives-tampa-clinic-talks-of-streaks-rays-b82492537z1
3/2/2014 9:16 AM
I also find it interesting that he called his parents when he thought the streak might end due to injury.    Is that the sort of behavior one would have if something wasn't VERY IMPORTANT to them?
3/2/2014 9:19 AM
The idea that Ripken is somehow bad because of the streak is idiotic. I know the point is just being made in response to someone else saying something dumb about Jeter, but let's pull our **** together.
3/2/2014 11:09 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/28/2014 2:49:00 PM (view original):
I'm not a fan of Ripken but I'll defend him on this.

He showed up to play.   If he didn't throw a hissy at game 978 or 1352 or 1776 or, you get the point, because he wasn't in the line-up, it's not really his fault that the manager kept putting him it.  He could have asked for a day off, much like Jeter could have volunteered to move from SS, but there's something to showing up and going to work every day.   However, if you're going to **** all over Jeter for not jumping up and down and screaming "I'LL PLAY ANOTHER POSITION!!!  I WILL!!!  I WILL!!!", save a little bit of your **** for Ripken for not saying "TAKE ME OUT OF THE LINE-UP!!!!  I'LL SIT TODAY!!!!  I WILL!!!!  I WILL!!!!"

IOW, don't be a ******* hypocrite.
This.
3/2/2014 11:33 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/27/2014 8:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rsp777 on 2/27/2014 8:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 2/27/2014 5:33:00 PM (view original):
Buster Olney disagrees.
And Olney has some valid points and it's also a very good article. It doesn't, however, change my opinion that Jeter's defense takes quite a bit away from his offense. Olney disagrees, and puts little value on Jeter's defensive shortcomings. I feel differently. If the Yankees would have stuck Jeter in left when Rodriguez arrived they'd have been a better TEAM, and their future would have unfolded decidedly differently. It's all just opinion, and mine is that Jeter, while a definitive Hall of Fame player, was, and is, overrated, and that the Yankees would have been FAR better served if he would have moved off of shortstop 10 years ago.

And had ARod played short (and was able to play an adequate SS for the next 10 years), then who would play 3B?  And if ARod played say the first 5 seasons at SS and then moved to third when he grew out of the position, who would have played SS for the next 5 seasons?

It's nice to argue about moving Jeter in a vacuum, but you just can't ignore the fact that moving people around in a theoretical exercise leaves holes on the field that would need to be filled by somebody else.

A little late on this....but it's the Yankees.  They'd have purchased someone to play 3B and/or SS.  Seriously, teams have to plug holes every year.  DOn't act like it'd have been hard for the Yankees when they have the $$$ to just throw away.  

They wouldn't have had to waste anything on Granderson and could have had a legit SS instead.....or maybe, they'd have put $$$ into Pitching!
3/2/2014 11:37 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/2/2014 11:09:00 AM (view original):
The idea that Ripken is somehow bad because of the streak is idiotic. I know the point is just being made in response to someone else saying something dumb about Jeter, but let's pull our **** together.
The argument by the haters is that Jeter is somehow bad because he didn't volunteer to switch positions.

Just trying to point out how that argument can work both ways.
3/2/2014 11:44 AM
3B free agents 2004
Beltre

SS 2004
Alex Gonzalez
Orlando Cabera
Omar Vizquel 

I'd say they could have done a lot better moving Jeters to LF.
3/2/2014 11:46 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/2/2014 11:44:00 AM (view original):
The argument by the haters is that Jeter is somehow bad because he didn't volunteer to switch positions.

Nothing like saying something equally as dumb in order to prove your point.
3/2/2014 12:08 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/23/2014 6:25:00 PM (view original):

Arguing with jtpops will only make you dumber.

This
3/2/2014 12:50 PM
2012 WIS Fielding Ratings

Miguel Cabrera 3B A-/C-
Derek Jeter SS A/D-

2013 WIS Fielding Ratings

Miguel Cabrera 3B B-/D-
Derek Jeter SS C/D+

Even THIS WEBSITE proves how ignorant you are Mike. But Jeter's never even been CLOSE to being the best hitter in baseball so it's NOT really ok. Just accept that the average Soccer Mom could play better defense at SS and you'll be alright. Really dude, how can you type this stuff when you're stroking Jeter's **** with both of your hands?

The funny part of all this is that I actually think Jeter has had a fine career and deserves to go to the HOF. I also think that Yank-Me fans like you WAY overblow his career. Yep, solid player all the way around, but get REAL with the hero crap. Dude should've moved to LF ten years ago, plain and simple, but his ego has always been in the way.

E-6...

3/2/2014 1:12 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/2/2014 12:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 3/2/2014 11:44:00 AM (view original):

Nothing like saying something equally as dumb in order to prove your point.
Oh, the irony of this post.
3/2/2014 1:21 PM
Posted by rsp777 on 3/2/2014 1:12:00 PM (view original):

Miguel Cabrera 3B A-/C-
Derek Jeter SS A/D-

Miguel Cabrera 3B B-/D-
Derek Jeter SS C/D+

Even THIS WEBSITE proves how ignorant you are Mike. But Jeter's never even been CLOSE to being the best hitter in baseball so it's NOT really ok. Just accept that the average Soccer Mom could play better defense at SS and you'll be alright. Really dude, how can you type this stuff when you're stroking Jeter's **** with both of your hands?

The funny part of all this is that I actually think Jeter has had a fine career and deserves to go to the HOF. I also think that Yank-Me fans like you WAY overblow his career. Yep, solid player all the way around, but get REAL with the hero crap. Dude should've moved to LF ten years ago, plain and simple, but his ego has always been in the way.

E-6...

3/2/2014 1:22 PM
Posted by rsp777 on 3/2/2014 1:12:00 PM (view original):

Miguel Cabrera 3B A-/C-
Derek Jeter SS A/D-

Miguel Cabrera 3B B-/D-
Derek Jeter SS C/D+

E-6...

You dumb.

First, you're using WifS ratings to prove your point.
Second, can a player get worse than a D-?
Finally,
3/2/2014 4:03 PM
◂ Prev 1...27|28|29|30|31...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.