Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

And yet, sometimes it happens, and it often has little to do with a lack of ability to react.
3/24/2014 3:20 PM
No, it has everything to do with your ability to react.    Groundballs are not knucklers dancing around.   They may hop late, they may hop high or low but, either way, they travel a direct path once they take that last bounce.

3/24/2014 3:25 PM
If I punched you in the face, is it fair to have someone say to you "Why the hell didn't you duck?"

He reacted, but when a ball bounces 5-10 feet in front of you, and is supposed to stay near the ground, and bounces at your face, normal humans may just not have the reaction time to get out of the way.  And the ball was a screaming 2 hopper.  The replay barely got around to Cabrera to see him get hit.  It's very likely that this would have happened to anyone in the exact position Miggy was at that time.
3/24/2014 3:30 PM

Did I see it coming?  Maybe not duck but turn my head a little so I don't take it full on. 

And, as I said, projectiles coming at your face cause a reaction.   Maybe Miggy just doesn't mind taking balls in the face.  But normal people turn their head if they can't catch it or get out of the way.

3/24/2014 3:36 PM
Or they can't react quick enough.  He tried to turn but didn't do it in time.
3/24/2014 3:38 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/24/2014 3:25:00 PM (view original):
No, it has everything to do with your ability to react.    Groundballs are not knucklers dancing around.   They may hop late, they may hop high or low but, either way, they travel a direct path once they take that last bounce.

IOW

MikeT is able to react fast enough to avoid getting hit in the face. Miguel Cabrera isn't.

MikeT thinks he has better reactions than Miguel Cabrera.
3/24/2014 3:41 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/24/2014 3:38:00 PM (view original):
Most people can.   You just don't see that many people getting hit in the face with groundballs. 
3/24/2014 3:43 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/24/2014 3:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/24/2014 3:25:00 PM (view original):

IOW

MikeT is able to react fast enough to avoid getting hit in the face. Miguel Cabrera isn't.

MikeT thinks he has better reactions than Miguel Cabrera.
I suppose I'll address this because your child-like behavior will keep repeating it until I do.

MikeT, among many other people, virtually the entire population that's played stick/ball games, doesn't get hit in the face with groundballs.   They, MikeT included, catch it, move out of the way or turn their head to avoid getting hit in the face.   Miggy does not. 
3/24/2014 3:46 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/24/2014 3:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/24/2014 3:38:00 PM (view original):
Most people can.   You just don't see that many people getting hit in the face with groundballs. 
It was a very specific, ridiculous scenario.  People don't get hit with ground balls because ground balls don't bounce on the ground, only a foot or so in the air, and then bounce 5 feet in the air towards someone's face.  This wasn't your average ground ball.  I'd argue that anyone who was in Miggy's exact position would have also been hit in the face by the ground ball.

3/24/2014 3:50 PM
The fact that you assume you have a better reaction time than Miggy is laughable.
3/24/2014 3:51 PM
Actually, you're a ***** and/or a RF if you turn your head.  We've all seen those little league kids end up in RF because they don't KEEP THEIR HEAD DOWN when they're fielding grounders.
3/24/2014 4:18 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/24/2014 3:51:00 PM (view original):
The fact that you assume you have a better reaction time than Miggy is laughable.
Who said that?    Now, if you want to say I have a better survival instinct, I'll agree.    You know, seeing as how I've managed to not get hit in the face with a groundball.   Much like almost everyone not named Miggy.
3/24/2014 4:20 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 3/24/2014 4:18:00 PM (view original):
Actually, you're a ***** and/or a RF if you turn your head.  We've all seen those little league kids end up in RF because they don't KEEP THEIR HEAD DOWN when they're fielding grounders.
There comes a point when your brain says "You will not get your hands in front of that ball.   What do you do?  A) take it square in the face B) turn your head?"

It's just plain stupid to take a ball directly in the face when you don't have to.

Are pitchers *******?  Because they duck a lot.
3/24/2014 4:22 PM
I'll try this another way(repeated for the badluckjr):

I've been playing ball 45 years or so.   I've seen three people get hit square in the face with a grounder:
1.  A little kid.   Probably on the field because mommy made him.
2.  A girl.  Probably on the field because her boyfriend asked her to play co-ed with him.
3.  A drunk dude.  Probably on the field because he didn't know better.

That's it.  Until Miggy. 
3/24/2014 4:32 PM
I can see 'tardcomm's dad hitting him grounders.

"GODDAMMIT BOY!!!  QUIT TURNING YOUR HEAD!!!  TAKE THOSE BALLS IN THE FACE LIKE A MAN!!!!!!"
3/24/2014 4:38 PM
◂ Prev 1...50|51|52|53|54...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.