Important HBD poll! Please participate!!!!!!!!!!1 Topic

HA!  Has tuft ever made a post that didn't refer to me?

tec is dead on.  I'd say 99% of the n00bs would say I've helped them in some way or another.  The other 1% asked a question, didn't like the answer and got their panties bunched.  If you don't want an answer but just want someone to agree with you, don't ask the question.  You can't be all things to all people.  
3/4/2014 8:57 PM
I got curious, so I had to check.

Tufft is the "free agency should be like eBay" guy.
3/4/2014 9:10 PM (edited)
Yeah.   Guess we're the only two who said "That's dumb."
3/4/2014 10:05 PM
It's funny, because I had no idea that he was that guy when I posted my response on the previous page.
3/4/2014 10:15 PM
I did.   He's the last guy who says "Mike's mean."    I'm not even sure that I am any more.   Mellowed with age.   Or maybe the dumbasses just went away.
3/4/2014 10:33 PM
I'd say Mike has been very helpful for a lot of people.  I've utilized his Ask the MikeT23 thread numerous times, and I have always received prompt and helpful responses.  I tend to agree that in a dynasty game like HBD, it doesn't make sense to make numerous and frequent changes.  Having such frequent changes would make it much more difficult to plan for the future when you don't know what it will look like.  Today's effective strategy might lead to a disaster given a certain set of changes made tomorrow.
3/4/2014 11:11 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/4/2014 9:10:00 PM (view original):
I got curious, so I had to check.

Tufft is the "free agency should be like eBay" guy.
BTW, everyone should read this thread.   That way, when tuft posts his next long-winded response, you can say "Oh, it's THAT guy" and ignore it.
3/5/2014 9:10 AM
I will add to the those vouching for MikeT23 (among others). He has been extremely helpful, answering my numerous list of HBD questions. 
3/5/2014 11:19 AM

MikeT23 is a subhuman mongrel!

Oh, wait . . . wrong forum.

Nevermind.

3/5/2014 12:08 PM
To be fair, I can be harsh.    You have to get about 3-4 pages in, after tuft gets a bit belligerent because everyone is saying "Stupid idea", but you can see it in that thread.   I'm assuming that's where tuft gets his info that I'm running people from the site because I don't recall him before that.    Guess he holds a grudge.
3/5/2014 12:24 PM
Mike is basically a pitbull.  If approached the right way, he can be helpful and friendly, though not especially charming.  If approached the wrong way, he will attack and won't relent, even after the victim is dead or incapacitated, and it will take a crowbar to pry him off.
3/5/2014 12:51 PM
That seems a bit dramatic.   Three types annoy me:

1.  Bad information/advice offerer guy:   Posts something that is entirely wrong in response to a question.   pjfoster saying good make-up overrides poor pitches/splits.   n00bs read this **** and don't always know which advice is good and which stinks like fresh poop.

2.  Statement that's posed as a question guy:   Semi-asks a question but really just wants confirmation.   Gets prickly when you explain what he's thinking is wrong.  rangerup with his "true knuckleballer" thread. 

3.   Bad suggestion but won't take "yeah, that's a bad idea" for an answer guy:    A cousin to #2.   Makes a suggestion that EVERYONE agrees sucks then gets pissy because NO ONE can understand how brilliant they are.   tuft with his real-time FA, ebay-style bidding.  I think there was 12 pages of no one agreeing with him.  Yet me and tec are the dicks(and I don't even know how tec gets lumped in with me).
3/5/2014 2:39 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/5/2014 2:39:00 PM (view original):
That seems a bit dramatic.   Three types annoy me:

1.  Bad information/advice offerer guy:   Posts something that is entirely wrong in response to a question.   pjfoster saying good make-up overrides poor pitches/splits.   n00bs read this **** and don't always know which advice is good and which stinks like fresh poop.

2.  Statement that's posed as a question guy:   Semi-asks a question but really just wants confirmation.   Gets prickly when you explain what he's thinking is wrong.  rangerup with his "true knuckleballer" thread. 

3.   Bad suggestion but won't take "yeah, that's a bad idea" for an answer guy:    A cousin to #2.   Makes a suggestion that EVERYONE agrees sucks then gets pissy because NO ONE can understand how brilliant they are.   tuft with his real-time FA, ebay-style bidding.  I think there was 12 pages of no one agreeing with him.  Yet me and tec are the dicks(and I don't even know how tec gets lumped in with me).
4. People who disagree with me..
3/5/2014 3:19 PM
They're usually wrong but that doesn't really annoy me.
3/5/2014 3:21 PM
Posted by zyrion on 3/4/2014 11:11:00 PM (view original):
I'd say Mike has been very helpful for a lot of people.  I've utilized his Ask the MikeT23 thread numerous times, and I have always received prompt and helpful responses.  I tend to agree that in a dynasty game like HBD, it doesn't make sense to make numerous and frequent changes.  Having such frequent changes would make it much more difficult to plan for the future when you don't know what it will look like.  Today's effective strategy might lead to a disaster given a certain set of changes made tomorrow.
I liked the last two sentences of this quote. On the contrary, I would argue that unprectability leads to dynamism, which leads to a more realistic experience relative to real baseball, which leads to a more fluid experienc, which leads to more fun, more users, better loyalty, whatever. Baseball evolves. Some GMs anticipate the trends better than others. Beane structures the A's roster within a long-term framework but with short-term flexibility to adjust to dynamic factors. If you are worried that an engine update might counterfeit the players that you signed to 5 yr/$100mil contracts, then maybe that's a You problem. Real GMs rue albatross contracts all the time. Be better.

As for any updates, the devs could perform an engine overhaul incrementally rather than all at once. IOW,for example with the K/9 statistic,currently the "velocity" attribute, 90 arm roughly correlates to 9.0 k/9, and higher or lower Vel is scaled to higher and lower k rates. The definition itself is fine, but in the past 10 years, humans have drastically re-defined what a shoulder and elbow joints are capable of. 100 mph is the new 90. WIS could plan an implementation where the goal was to re-scale Vel so that 70 = 9.0 k/9. 99 Vel would be aroldis chapman and k rate would be re-defined at 14.0 or whatever. However, instead of doing so all at once, schedule quarterly implentations that will re-scale by 1 year from now rather than 1 week from now. IOW, the next time your league rolls over (in 3 months), 85 Vel = 9.0 k/9. In 6 months, 80 Vel = 9.0. Etc. This way, the engine evolves while its users have the opportunity to plan ahead.

Additionally, in conjunction, the devs ccould re-define the regeneration pool and write clearer templates for positons and how they match to certain attributes. It would work off of a bell curve. 75% of the SP regen pool would carry a Vel rating (potential) betwwen 55 and 75. Outliers would exist above and below those thresholds, and there could be a few guys in each world who topped 90, 95, and maybe 1 guy who touched 99. In this fashion, Vel would become a primary attribute for some guys (the outliers), but would remain secondary for the middle 75% of the bell curve. Thus, best of both worlds, static and dynamic. I
3/5/2014 7:49 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...8 Next ▸
Important HBD poll! Please participate!!!!!!!!!!1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.