OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

My unhappiness with Huggins is actually rooted somewhat in their horrible decision to move to the Big 12...a money move if there ever was one made by our greedy AD Oliver Luck. As much as I bleed Gold & Blue the Big 12 is not the conference for them, and Huggins and Holgersen both need to go. Holgersen is just bad. Huggins is a good Coach but I've seen enough Mountaineers basketball this season on tv and in Morgantown to know that he doesn't have what it takes to coach anymore. They may well be "very good" next year...but we've been hearing that from Luck and Holgersen about the football team for a few seasons now. 

Devin Williams is still learning the post game. Henderson and Harris are young studs. The roster is littered with talent and they should be better than their record.  In that case it points to one thing as the problem...and since they can't just walk out of the Big 12 I'll sacrifice Huggs for some hardwood dignity. There are some coaches in the MAC that deserve a chance at a program like that and I for one would welcome the change.

Just my two cents...thanks for listening etta  :)

Padge
3/13/2014 3:49 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 3/13/2014 3:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 3/13/2014 3:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/13/2014 3:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/13/2014 3:02:00 PM (view original):
I probably should have said "significantly" and I was mentally factoring in cost.  TCNJ is a great public liberal arts college.    There aren't many private schools with in 200 miles of NJ that are significantly better than RU or TCNJ.

And I did forget about Swarthmore and G'town.

TCNJ is in the 550/650 SAT range, there's probably 30 schools on the east coast that are better.  

Actually, now that I reread this, I am clearly talking out of my ***.   That sentence has so many disclaimers I can't even remember what my original point was.  

i think your point was something about rutgers and tcnj being good schools... which is true. especially on the engineering and science side of things, rutgers is very strong. but once you start getting into terms like "best" you start to get in hot water :) rutgers is a solid university but its not like its just below the top tier universities out there.
I think TCNJ being at the top of the heap as far as those publics shows the value of the re-branding. Do you think they would be there if they were still Trenton State? It's differentiation. Pretty similar to what Glassboro State did in renaming themselves Rowan. 
i think it was a very smart move by trenton's administration. it definitely will help them differentiate from being "one of the pack" in the eyes of the public.
3/13/2014 3:51 PM
Posted by padgett1547 on 3/13/2014 3:49:00 PM (view original):
My unhappiness with Huggins is actually rooted somewhat in their horrible decision to move to the Big 12...a money move if there ever was one made by our greedy AD Oliver Luck. As much as I bleed Gold & Blue the Big 12 is not the conference for them, and Huggins and Holgersen both need to go. Holgersen is just bad. Huggins is a good Coach but I've seen enough Mountaineers basketball this season on tv and in Morgantown to know that he doesn't have what it takes to coach anymore. They may well be "very good" next year...but we've been hearing that from Luck and Holgersen about the football team for a few seasons now. 

Devin Williams is still learning the post game. Henderson and Harris are young studs. The roster is littered with talent and they should be better than their record.  In that case it points to one thing as the problem...and since they can't just walk out of the Big 12 I'll sacrifice Huggs for some hardwood dignity. There are some coaches in the MAC that deserve a chance at a program like that and I for one would welcome the change.

Padge
I could not agree less with you about the Big 12. Holgorsen is on the hook this year. I really have no idea what they're going to be, but what I do like is that they appear to have a staff that could be kept intact even with the loss of the head coach, and a coach on staff that could be the next head coach (Tom Bradley).

The reason I say what I do about basketball is that they have 2 guys sitting out that would make a significant difference in this team, and they've faded recently in a manner coincident with the games Henderson has missed. They're an NCAA tournament team with him, they're 1-5 with the only win being over TCU without him. EdIT: They're 1-5 with Henderson playing 10 minutes or fewer (including DNPs).

I'm pretty impressed that Huggins went 9-9 in the league with this team. They have 0 Srs, 2 Fr and 2 So in their basically 6 man rotation. Their best big isn't eligible, and their second best may not be either. And Dax Miles should be a solid 3rd guard that can play for both Henderson and Harris. Just hope Staten comes back, which I think he should. Not much market for a point guard that can't shoot in the NBA -- Ricky Rubio already has that market cornered. :P
3/13/2014 4:26 PM (edited)
Posted by ettaexpress on 3/13/2014 4:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by padgett1547 on 3/13/2014 3:49:00 PM (view original):

Padge
I could not agree less with you about the Big 12. Holgorsen is on the hook this year. I really have no idea what they're going to be, but what I do like is that they appear to have a staff that could be kept intact even with the loss of the head coach, and a coach on staff that could be the next head coach (Tom Bradley).

The reason I say what I do about basketball is that they have 2 guys sitting out that would make a significant difference in this team, and they've faded recently in a manner coincident with the games Henderson has missed. They're an NCAA tournament team with him, they're 1-5 with the only win being over TCU without him. EdIT: They're 1-5 with Henderson playing 10 minutes or fewer (including DNPs).

I'm pretty impressed that Huggins went 9-9 in the league with this team. They have 0 Srs, 2 Fr and 2 So in their basically 6 man rotation. Their best big isn't eligible, and their second best may not be either. And Dax Miles should be a solid 3rd guard that can play for both Henderson and Harris. Just hope Staten comes back, which I think he should. Not much market for a point guard that can't shoot in the NBA -- Ricky Rubio already has that market cornered. :P
Not having Holton hurt the rotation and I honestly thought that Dibo would play better than he has. I guess I have to keep the faith as a Mountaineer fan and hope next season is better.

Appreciate your perspective on the situation, etta. Thanks.
3/13/2014 4:38 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 3/13/2014 1:22:00 PM (view original):
TRIVIA
A friend from Indiana pointed out that there are 10 DI schools in Indiana and none of them will be in the NCAA tournament this year.   The schools are Ball St., Butler, Evansville, Indiana, Indiana St., IPFW, IUPUI, Notre Dame, Purdue, and Valparaiso.

Question #1:
 When was the last time, if ever, that Indiana was shut out of the tournament?

Question #2:
  Are there any other states, with more than 10 schools, that won't be in the tournament?

I don't know the answers but it'll be a challenge for you trivia buffs!
For #1, there's been an Indiana school in the tournament each season since 1974 except for 2005. Only Valparaiso in 2004 prevented back-to-back shutouts for the Hoosier state.

For #2:

Illinois, barring any upset conference tourney winners this weekend, has 13 schools.
Louisiana is a close second with 12 schools
3/13/2014 4:52 PM (edited)
Louisiana has a pretty decent chance of a team in the tournament.

Illinois was the one I already came up with.
3/13/2014 4:54 PM
Travis Williams is out at Tennessee State
3/13/2014 4:57 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 3/13/2014 4:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by alblack56 on 3/13/2014 1:22:00 PM (view original):
TRIVIA
A friend from Indiana pointed out that there are 10 DI schools in Indiana and none of them will be in the NCAA tournament this year.   The schools are Ball St., Butler, Evansville, Indiana, Indiana St., IPFW, IUPUI, Notre Dame, Purdue, and Valparaiso.

Question #1:
 When was the last time, if ever, that Indiana was shut out of the tournament?

Question #2:
  Are there any other states, with more than 10 schools, that won't be in the tournament?

I don't know the answers but it'll be a challenge for you trivia buffs!
For #1, there's been an Indiana school in the tournament each season since 1974 except for 2005. Only Valparaiso in 2004 prevented back-to-back shutouts for the Hoosier state.

For #2:

Illinois, barring any upset conference tourney winners this weekend, has 13 schools.
Louisiana is a close second with 12 schools
Forgot there was a year in there when Knight didn't make it.

Also thought it was possible there might have been a year in there, but I thought Purdue went often enough that they wouldn't have both missed the same year.

Oh well, not bad for basically just guessing.
3/13/2014 4:57 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 3/13/2014 3:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cburton23 on 3/13/2014 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ettaexpress on 3/13/2014 4:08:00 AM (view original):
Dunlap has been everywhere. Pretty sure he won at least one D-II championship at Metro State. This seems like a really good hire if he still has the fire and energy level to put into a rebuild. 
Dunlap hasn't been everywhere.  He had huge success at Metro but never got a shot at a big job so he said F it.  Since then he has jumped around some, as that is the nature of the NBA.  He built his success at Metro on Aussie players.  Should be a great fit in the WCC.
To me this qualifies as well-traveled...

As coach:
1980–1985 Loyola Marymount (assistant)
1985–1986 Iowa (assistant)
1986–1989 USC (assistant)
1989–1994 Cal Lutheran
1994–1996 Adelaide 36ers
1997–2006 Metro State
20062008 Denver Nuggets (assistant)
2008–2009 Arizona (assistant)
2009–2010 Oregon (assistant)
2010–2012 St. John's (assistant/interim)
2012-2013 Charlotte Bobcats
2014-present Loyola Marymount
Over the course of 34 years, for a basketball coach that isn't a lot of movement unless you are comparing him to one of the all time greats.

Not to mention most of the moves have been in the last 7 years.
3/13/2014 7:05 PM
He's been a head coach in D-I, D-II, D-III, the NBA and Australia.

Name another coach that's even managed 4 of those 5. I think even 3 would be a really short list.

3/13/2014 10:32 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 3/13/2014 3:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 3/13/2014 3:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/13/2014 3:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/13/2014 3:02:00 PM (view original):
I probably should have said "significantly" and I was mentally factoring in cost.  TCNJ is a great public liberal arts college.    There aren't many private schools with in 200 miles of NJ that are significantly better than RU or TCNJ.

And I did forget about Swarthmore and G'town.

TCNJ is in the 550/650 SAT range, there's probably 30 schools on the east coast that are better.  

Actually, now that I reread this, I am clearly talking out of my ***.   That sentence has so many disclaimers I can't even remember what my original point was.  

i think your point was something about rutgers and tcnj being good schools... which is true. especially on the engineering and science side of things, rutgers is very strong. but once you start getting into terms like "best" you start to get in hot water :) rutgers is a solid university but its not like its just below the top tier universities out there.
I think TCNJ being at the top of the heap as far as those publics shows the value of the re-branding. Do you think they would be there if they were still Trenton State? It's differentiation. Pretty similar to what Glassboro State did in renaming themselves Rowan. 
I didn't understand why changing Glassboro St.  to Rowan was an improvement.  Then I read that the name change occurred because the Rowan family donated $100 million to Glassboro St.
3/14/2014 6:01 AM
That about sums it up.   

Both schools, Rowan and TCNJ,  made the transition from "teacher school" to college  in the 1980s.  Rowan did it with the donation, TCNJ did it with raising entrance requirements.
3/14/2014 9:28 AM
Marshall will probably fire herrion today. He just got back into town from cusa tourney late last night and we figure hamrick will meet with him this morning and announce his firing (or him resigning like former fball coach mark Snyder)
3/14/2014 10:44 AM
Posted by ohhale on 3/14/2014 10:44:00 AM (view original):
Marshall will probably fire herrion today. He just got back into town from cusa tourney late last night and we figure hamrick will meet with him this morning and announce his firing (or him resigning like former fball coach mark Snyder)
Guess its out there now... Herrion rumored to be out at marshall..press conference at 145pm. To "discuss the future of marshall basketball"
3/14/2014 11:02 AM
Unless it includes major capital improvements, it's not going to matter. They're way over their heads right now. Maybe they can hire D'Antoni after the Lakers fire him and then they'd at least be fun to watch.
3/14/2014 11:55 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...20 Next ▸
OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.