OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Oh cool, wasn't expecting a conversation about tcnj when I opened this thread. I would say TCNJ > Rutgers academically, but I'm biased. Maybe they just told us that to make us happy
3/14/2014 12:11 PM
Posted by spiff2 on 3/14/2014 12:11:00 PM (view original):
Oh cool, wasn't expecting a conversation about tcnj when I opened this thread. I would say TCNJ > Rutgers academically, but I'm biased. Maybe they just told us that to make us happy
im curious, is your bias the bias of a liberal arts major? :)

i guess i could see people taking TCNJ academically on that "half" of the university, if you will, but if you were willing to make the claim on the math/science/tech side, id be pretty surprised to hear someone in the know say that. just curious, i grew up in NJ but did not go to school there, my dad got his masters at Rutgers so i have always had some interest in Rugers/NJ education conversations :)
3/14/2014 1:16 PM
Anthony Grant is returning for Alabama in 2014-15.  What a ****ing embarrassing decision.  This entire letter of support is just BS that translates to "we don't care about basketball."

Some verbal diarrhea
3/14/2014 1:32 PM
5 seasons at Alabama for Grant:

17-15, no postseason
25-12, NIT runnerup
21-12, NCAA 1st round
23-13, NIT 3rd round
13-18, no postseason

I've seen enough.
3/14/2014 1:35 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 3/14/2014 1:16:00 PM (view original):

i guess i could see people taking TCNJ academically on that "half" of the university, if you will, but if you were willing to make the claim on the math/science/tech side, id be pretty surprised to hear someone in the know say that. just curious, i grew up in NJ but did not go to school there, my dad got his masters at Rutgers so i have always had some interest in Rugers/NJ education conversations :)
Majored in finance. Bias meaning I have absolutely no facts to back that up I was just speaking out of blind school pride
3/14/2014 1:35 PM
TCNJ has a very strong education and educational research department.   They also have some cool tech (what ever computer science is called now) programs.  It's also nominally hard to get into, kinda.  The #'s are distorted because Rutgers now lumps all their "colleges" together for each campus.   You used to have to apply to Rutgers College (LA),  Busch (ENGINEERING), Cook (AG), Douglas (Women's Studies?) and Livingstone (the others.....).   Traditionally, Busch and Rutgers were harder to get into than the others.

Rutgers has waaaaay more options and is probably considered the superior school academically in most fields other than education though.   Rutgers also has way more name recognition  outside NJ.   TCNJ rep probably extends 50 miles.

With all that being said, I find it fascinating (and frustrating) that 22 current NBA players went to HS in NJ.  ONly one of them, Dahntay Jones, went to Rutgers and even he transferred out after two years.   On an incredibly unrelated side note, I played a lot of basketball until my ankles gave out.   I have only been dunked on three times in my entire life.   One was by a 6'8 dude that looked JUST LIKE Ronny Seikaly, Billy Granville who played LB in the NFL and Dahntay Jones.  He was in 8th grade, I was a senior in HS. 

3/14/2014 1:52 PM
Posted by spiff2 on 3/14/2014 1:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 3/14/2014 1:16:00 PM (view original):

Majored in finance. Bias meaning I have absolutely no facts to back that up I was just speaking out of blind school pride
I mean yeah, it's the Princeton of Mercer Country.....

:)
3/14/2014 1:54 PM
In my opinion, If serious about their basketball program Bama should have fired Grant for lack of program progress. However I am a fan of Anthony Grant and felt he should have resigned and found a lower level job and started over so he could have advanced back to a program that had a commitment to basketball.
3/14/2014 3:05 PM
Posted by coachvegas44 on 3/14/2014 3:05:00 PM (view original):
In my opinion, If serious about their basketball program Bama should have fired Grant for lack of program progress. However I am a fan of Anthony Grant and felt he should have resigned and found a lower level job and started over so he could have advanced back to a program that had a commitment to basketball.
Pat Knight tried that, did not work, he is still awful
3/14/2014 3:22 PM
Posted by coachvegas44 on 3/14/2014 3:05:00 PM (view original):
I was a big fan of the hire at the time, but it just hasn't worked out.  Looking back, he really hasn't done anything impressive ever.  He was highly regarded as an ast under Donovan, but I'm not sure how much credit Grant deserves for that success.  He did well maintaining a VCU program for a few years that Capel had built up.  He's never actually built anything himself.  That's what he needed to do at Bama and he's failed miserably.

He is by all accounts a great guy who does things the right way.  That just doesn't override losing to me, and some of his public comments suggest he's too stubborn to really change anything he's doing.

Also he'd be crazy to resign when he's on contract for $1.9M through like 2019.
3/14/2014 3:43 PM
I can promise you his lack of success at Bama has nothing to do with their commitment to basketball.  He's just not a very good head coach.
3/14/2014 3:45 PM
Stan Heath is out at South Florida
3/14/2014 5:36 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 3/14/2014 5:36:00 PM (view original):
lol South Florida beat Alabama this season
3/14/2014 5:51 PM
Anybody want Turgeon? MD basketball sucks since Williams left and New AD Anderson is an ***. Going to the Big Ten will suck for fans at least.
3/14/2014 6:12 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 3/14/2014 5:36:00 PM (view original):
It sickens me that he has made as much money as he has coaching basketball. An Elite 8 run in his first year with players left over has set him up for life.

Speaking of which, I wonder if/when Gary Waters gets another major shot. I mean can you really hold not doing well at Rutgers against a guy?
3/14/2014 11:16 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...20 Next ▸
OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.