OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Grant did well at VCU (better than Capel) and he was on the bench at UF for a decade. I think it was reasonable to thikn he would be pretty good, but maybe the moral is not to hire someone from a mid-major with less than 5 years experience? I don't know. 

I think he was primarily a recruiter through his career and you have to do more than recruit to win at Bama, which isn't typically going to get the bigtime recruits no matter who the coach is.
3/14/2014 11:20 PM
Jacksonville has fired Cliff Warren
3/15/2014 3:31 AM
AL.com, an Alabama website, lists 9 potential candidates at Auburn:

Bruce Pearl
Ben Howland (formerly UNCA)
Rick Stansbury (formerly Miss. State)
Larry Brown, SMU
Cliff Ellis, Coastal Carolina
Donnie Tyndall, So, Mississippi
John Brady, Arkansas St.
Michael White, La. Tech (his father is the A.D. at Duke)
Mick Cronin, Cincinnati (a longshot...Cronin is a Cincinnati alum)
3/15/2014 9:42 AM (edited)
Wow a lot of bad ideas and no way in hecks there.

Stansbury, Ellis, and Brady are in the former category. Cronin, Brown and probably White are in the latter.

Tyndall I dunno seems like a good idea but I still worry about the fact that Larry Eustachy did the heavy lifting at USM. But seems that if they don't get Pearl or Howland, he might end up getting it. You probably also have the issue of "who really wants this job?" 
3/15/2014 12:43 PM
Pearl would be a slamdunk hire for them.  I don't get the hate for him when he lied about a BBQ, yet Gottfried gets hired again after what he did.  I guess it's cool to be a scumbag if you don't break NCAA rules.  He would turn them into a winner almost immediately like he did at Tenn.

White and Tyndall are both names worth considering imo.  I thought both were likely to be considered if Bama fired Grant, partially because they'd be cheap while they were still paying Grant.  I'd probably take White if I couldn't get Pearl.  He seems like he'd bring some energy to the program if nothing else.
3/15/2014 1:49 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 3/14/2014 11:20:00 PM (view original):
Grant did well at VCU (better than Capel) and he was on the bench at UF for a decade. I think it was reasonable to thikn he would be pretty good, but maybe the moral is not to hire someone from a mid-major with less than 5 years experience? I don't know. 

I think he was primarily a recruiter through his career and you have to do more than recruit to win at Bama, which isn't typically going to get the bigtime recruits no matter who the coach is.
Agree he was THE hot name at the time Bama hired him.  I don't think that was a mistake, it just didn't work out.  Time to cut your losses and GTFO.  Looking back, he didn't have much of a record for building, but hindsight and all that.

Frankly I get the impression he just recruits off the Rivals rankings.  He always signs fairly highly rated players, but they show up looking like they've never played basketball.  And he certainly doesn't sign to fill needs ever, just seems to get the "best players" he can get.  

A couple years ago, Bama had 3 bigs returning--2 of which were completely useless 7-ft projects, and the other a lazy PF who could only use his left hand--and 4 open scholarships.  Grant signed a local 5* SF and nothing else.  One of the 7-footers then got hurt and Bama played with basically no real big man all season.  Awesome roster management.  The 5* SF contributed nothing and ended up transferring, like about half of his players do.
3/15/2014 1:56 PM
Pearl hating goes WAY beyond the BBQ. Read up on the story with him and Deon Thomas when he was at Iowa. Plus he's just a clownface. Another thing...how would his full contact basketball work the way the game is being called now? 

I don't think White will take the job. He's got a pretty comfy seat where he is and through his dad, he'll know the deal. There are major conference jobs that are worth jumping to and ones that aren't. Not sure Auburn is one that is for him. 

Gottfried got hired because Debbie Yow is incompetent. No other reason. NC State fans are in love with him right now because he has one guy that's carrying him that was a legacy recruit. Sounds like the setup at Bama when they had all those great in-state players in a cluster.

Killbatman, there's no excuse today for having 4 open scholarships. Hell, go get some graduate school transfers for a year if nothing else!
3/15/2014 2:23 PM
there's no excuse today for having 4 open scholarships. Hell, go get some graduate school transfers for a year if nothing else!

Completely agree.  He leaves open spots every single season like he's rolling over HD recruiting money.  It's ridiculous.  How can you go into a season with 3 big men, 2 of which were international projects that shouldn't have been playing D1?  Find a JUCO, transfer, big kid at the rec center.  Whatever you have to do.

A few things Bama has ranked 250+ in the country every season under Grant:  tempo (i.e. SLOW), assists per made basket, defensive rebounding..sprinkle in some good 3-pt defense and bad 3-pt offense and that's a Grant team in a nutshell.  Oh and 3 empty spots on the bench, don't forget that.
3/15/2014 3:59 PM
Posted by killbatman on 3/15/2014 1:49:00 PM (view original):
Pearl would be a slamdunk hire for them.  I don't get the hate for him when he lied about a BBQ, yet Gottfried gets hired again after what he did.  I guess it's cool to be a scumbag if you don't break NCAA rules.  He would turn them into a winner almost immediately like he did at Tenn.

White and Tyndall are both names worth considering imo.  I thought both were likely to be considered if Bama fired Grant, partially because they'd be cheap while they were still paying Grant.  I'd probably take White if I couldn't get Pearl.  He seems like he'd bring some energy to the program if nothing else.
Pearl will win, and Pearl will probably cheat. He did it not just at Tennessee but prior to that as well. Is his show cause expired? (Aug 23rd...just checked...)

When I searched him to see about the show cause, I see an article where someone says he should go back to Tennessee... 

I really liked Pearl, and though I had no real skin in the game I felt pretty let down when he got busted. I just don't like people with no moral compunction not to lie and cheat to win...
3/15/2014 4:57 PM
Fair enough, Pearl may be a worse guy than I'd like to think, but I do know he can coach and win.  I'd at least look into it if I was hiring a coach.

I'm hearing rumors than South Florida might be interested in hiring away Anthony Grant.  I'd be happy to send them a glowing endorsement of Grant if it would help move that forward.
3/15/2014 6:58 PM
why does Yow have a job after her performance at Maryland and her performance so far at NCSU?
3/15/2014 8:34 PM
Posted by killbatman on 3/15/2014 6:58:00 PM (view original):
Fair enough, Pearl may be a worse guy than I'd like to think, but I do know he can coach and win.  I'd at least look into it if I was hiring a coach.

I'm hearing rumors than South Florida might be interested in hiring away Anthony Grant.  I'd be happy to send them a glowing endorsement of Grant if it would help move that forward.
Peal's a weasel and any school that would hire him should be embarrassed.   It's one thing to blatantly cheat. It's another to ask a recruit's father to lie for you, then lie to the NCAA about a recruiting visit that took place in Pearl's own HOUSE!   Then he had his assistants lie about it as well saying they didn't recognize the house in a photo. 
3/15/2014 9:02 PM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by terps21234 on 3/15/2014 9:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by metsmax on 3/15/2014 8:34:00 PM (view original):
why does Yow have a job after her performance at Maryland and her performance so far at NCSU?
Because she is a woman
unclear
3/15/2014 9:17 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 3/15/2014 4:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by killbatman on 3/15/2014 1:49:00 PM (view original):

Pearl will win, and Pearl will probably cheat. He did it not just at Tennessee but prior to that as well. Is his show cause expired? (Aug 23rd...just checked...)

When I searched him to see about the show cause, I see an article where someone says he should go back to Tennessee... 

I really liked Pearl, and though I had no real skin in the game I felt pretty let down when he got busted. I just don't like people with no moral compunction not to lie and cheat to win...
Yeah, Pearl widely rumored to have cheated at Southern Indiana too. Don't think they were ever sanctioned though, probably because no one cares -- it's D-II.
3/15/2014 9:40 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...20 Next ▸
OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.