Etta : I'm sorry ...you're right Topic

Posted by mikvitu on 4/9/2014 12:27:00 AM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 4/8/2014 1:23:00 PM (view original):
im pretty sure it was a team effort, theres at least a half dozen of us (well, i can only think of 5 offhand here on the spot) who think they got him banned, and probably a dozen others who sent in sitemails complaining too. i suppose he did return a couple times after we thought he was banned, so those things didn't directly get him banned - but i think those shorter bans helped lead up to the big one. anyway, not really important, but... go team!

sad thing is, other than that "im going to beat the **** out of you" sitemail, etta sent me a few others, and hes actually a pretty knowledgeable and interesting guy when he doesn't think the shadows are attacking him. i actually enjoyed his last few sitemails, when he was responding to stuff i asked on the forums. i even shot him back a couple sitemails, and he seemed like a perfectly normal guy. its kind of a shame, he could have been a great HD coach someday, and a real contributor on the forums, if only he wasn't so defensive, and would drop that maddening air of superiority.
I had a couple back and forth messages with him about real basketball and the game and my problem with him was no matter what he was just so dug in on his points. I'd offer a different point of view or correct him but he would just refuse to even consider any other opinions that weren't his. But that's a journalist for ya.
Etta is/was a journalist?

"Say it ain't so, joe!"
4/9/2014 12:32 PM
He was a lot of things by his own admission.

4/9/2014 1:02 PM
"@tt@" was befriended by Chuck Norris
4/9/2014 1:25 PM
Mully, OR alias here.  way back when tarek ran the game and -5 was a big debate, tarek ran a sim of something like 500 games each with the team vs the same team, all setups the same, except he varied the def level, -5, -4, etc all the way to +5.  I can't recall the exact numbers, but he posted a bunch.  This is based on an old man's memory so forgive me if I have some of it wrong, but from what I recall the base def level, 0 came out to the NCAA avg more or less.  I looked right now this seasons real life stats, first 3p def is 28.5% and 25th is 30.8, that doesn't seem so far off from what we see.  Off team leaders first is 41.4 / 25th 38.9, again that seems about right, more or less?

As far as the rest of his findings, from what I recall with each 1 increment of level, defense % changed about 1.2%, or -5 was about 6% worse than zero, and 12% worse than +5.  The defense of making the defense that limited, was otherwise, the results of the sims would change too dramatically from real life.  Teams with the right setup might win 100-10 for example, which was not Tarek's vision for the game.

Also, I'm pretty sure he reported wins and losses, and the best defense was zero, but the difference in wins and losses was minimal all the way to +/- 5.  I'm testing my memory, but somewhere in the 15-20 range difference, i.e. you won 3-4% fewer games when playing -5 or +5 vs the standard defense in a standard game.

I hope nobody can dig out the old post, as I'm sure most of these memories are off a bit.  Actually, If anyone can dig it up, it would be immensely helpful to the community, and it would not hurt my feelings one bit to see the actual correct information.  I'm guessing the post is ten years old, no idea the title?

I have no idea if seble runs sims to verify the sim turns out real life accuracy, but IMO most of what I see in terms of box scores and deviations seem about right, better than other sims I've used, seen, tried.

4/9/2014 3:02 PM (edited)
its a sad day on the forums when OR feels the need to announce that ryan75 is his alias :( however, great to see you posting, i think you were at least close in your summary there :) closer than i could have gotten it, at least - all ill add is that i remember tarek was trying to explain why there was a higher 3 pt% in HD and he had tied that study (unless it was a very similar study later) in to demonstrate that the reason 3pt% was higher in HD was because HD coaches tended to play - defenses. or at least, that seems to explain the lion's share of it. interesting stuff, it would be great if seble would do those kind of studies. 
4/9/2014 3:09 PM (edited)
I'm pretty sure he did when the engine was implemented, and, through various feedback, dialed it in where at least most people stopped ******** (or quit) so there's that
4/9/2014 4:34 PM
pics or it didn't happen ;)
4/9/2014 4:43 PM

IMO - neither Tarek's or Seble's engine gave defensive positioning enough affect on the game.    It is by their design but I don't agree with it.  We don't have a lot of things we can control in the game plan, at least make our few choices have some teeth.

Tarek even directly responded to a ticket saying the positioning didnt really matter in the game.

If you remember when Seble 1st rolled out his new engine version, the 3pt%'s were through the roof crazy.    it took our little army of player testers to get him to tone it down to a more reasonable level.   

4/10/2014 8:40 AM
◂ Prev 123
Etta : I'm sorry ...you're right Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.