Season 73, D3 Topic

I've tried counter jinxes for years.  hasn't done jack sh!t

my team could lose to any number of teams.  typically, I beat a few teams during the yr and then lose to them in the NT 

Either Piedmont or J-W are locks to win it all, following that pattern!

But this does appear to be my best shot at a nice NT run in awhile.
5/7/2014 9:24 PM
Take Elmira and the points. My team hasn't been blowing anyone out to warrant that sort of spread.
5/8/2014 12:27 AM
Darn I am no longer undefeated. I blame bullman. Literally... I blame bullman, he's the one who beat me :)

I will have the Starr Scores updated for tomorrow, hopefully in the morning. I always post what game they have been updated through right on the rankings page when I am done, so you will know.

Spasticity, Stillman is an outstanding DIII team. I matched them up against Millsaps and posted the results over 1,000 simulated games (200 at a time) on the website. Currently, Stillman is 8 games further into the season than Millsaps. The results are right on the homepage:

http://starrengine.yolasite.com/
5/8/2014 9:34 AM
SotD: I am not sure you have gotten beat yet EZ, the score is only 56-49. The score of the second half of the the Capital vs. N. Park game was 60-48. I can also tell because Dickinson's amazing defense gave up 100 points, so that should probably be a normal low scoring game.
5/8/2014 1:14 PM
Glad I don't have to play him. Yikes. (playing Stillman in the other world that is)
5/8/2014 1:20 PM
Awesome, thanks for the breakdown Starr!  Very neat stuff.  And great point about the 8 extra games..that does make a difference for sure.

BX, you did play them with your Naismith rebuild in exhib.  I figured Starr would bake that into the numbers somehow!  ;)
5/8/2014 2:46 PM
Honestly I'm more concerned about the fact that Dickinson's weak offense scored 89 on us than I am happy about scoring 100 on them.  But I'll take the win of course.
5/8/2014 2:49 PM
Yeah I forgot to mention that Millsaps is actually ranked just a hair higher for the team score and also the the game was played on a neutral court, figured you wouldn't want an advantage or disadvantage either way. It was either your defense or offense (can't remember) which made the difference, but if both those teams were to face off against each other in the NT finals, it would be like betting on a coin flip. Boy would I love to have a team like either of yours in any of the two worlds I play in :)

Carson, loving the SotD ;) 60 points in a half for one team! Gee whiz. If I could have scored that in my last game, I could have won. Regrettably, Bullman gameplanned perfectly. I would get upset but I don't want Allegheny to slip in the rankings on his charts :D I'm always amazed at the ATH/DEF combo on mfn's teams.
5/8/2014 4:26 PM
One game left in the non-conference season, let's get to it.

Last Night
S. Vermont 58   #2 Nichols 70
Nichols held a small 5 point lead at the half which S. Vermont quickly shrunk after the break.  The visitors just wouldn't go away and clawed back within 1 point several times during the half, but Nichols kept finding a way to stay in front.  They weren't able to pull away until there were less than three minutes left in the game when they finally extended the lead into double digits.  S. Vermont only scored 3 points in the final four and a half minutes and that pretty much killed any chance at drama.  Nichols and cactus moved up one spot in the rankings after the win.

Also considered: #3 Piedmont gave up a late jumpshot to force overtime but pulled away in the extra session to beat Wentworth Tech 88-82, #11 Palm Beach Atlantic got past Ohio Wesleyan 72-58, Penn St. Altoona went on the road and upset Hardin-Simmons 73-51, and #17 Whittier outlasted North Carolina Wesleyan 79-70.

Sim blowout watch: All three sims covered with ease and all lost by similar-ish amounts.  Shenandoah fell to #14 Wisconsin La Crosse 54-72, Elmira lost to #12 W. New England 62-86, and Rutgers Newark was defeated by #1 Millsaps 52-79.

GotN
#9 Lynchburg (8-1)(googs04) at #12 W. New England (9-0)(rednu)
It's Old Dominion at the Great Northeast to close out the non-conference slate with two highly ranked teams looking to finish strong.  Lynchburg will also be looking to recover from their first loss last night while WNE is going for the perfect 10-0 run.  googs won the previous game between these two but the home team is favored by a point.

Also considered: #1 Millsaps at #21 Capital, Merchant Marines at #11 Palm Beach Altantic, Virginia Wesleyan at #17 Whittier, North Carolina Wesleyan at #18 Calvin, and Emmanuel at #23 Sewanee

Sim blowout watch: And the blowout watch closes the non-conference season in style!  Johnson St is a massive 95 point home dog as they get a visit from #5 Johnson and Wales.  Time to see if J-Dub will have any mercy for their fellow Johnsons.
5/8/2014 5:08 PM
That wraps up the non-conference season everyone, enjoy the night off before the conference schedule kicks off. 

Last Night
#4 Lynchburg 53   #15 W. New England 42
This one was a low-scoring defensive struggle with both teams playing slow tempo on the offensive end.  It was tied at 23 at halftime and stayed tight in the second half until visiting Lynchburg used an 11-2 run to go up by 7 with about six minutes remaining.  WNE tried to come back from that streak but the home team couldn't quite close the gap and Lynchburg held on for an impressive season-ending road win.

Also considered: #1 Millsaps finished the non-conference undefeated after a 78-64 victory over Capital, #10 Palm Beach Atlantic defended the home court against Merchant Marines 69-57, #17 Whittier held on for the home win over Virginia Wesleyan 84-74, #18 Calvin got past North Carolina Wesleyan 78-66, and #20 Sewanee outlasted Emmanuel 66-56.

Sim blowout watch: Johnson St. saw no compassion in the Johnson family as they got hammered by #11 Johnson and Wales 55-121.  On the bright side, at least they covered.  Covered Johnsons are good thing.
5/9/2014 4:26 PM
In a related note...Western New England announces an immediate opening for the position of Assistant Coach, Free Throw Mechanics. Please send resume, cover letter and references to our athletic office.

1-for-7....we went 1-for-freaking-7 from the stripe last night.

ONE...for freaking SEVEN!!

#notenoughtequilaintheworld
5/9/2014 5:12 PM
Good thing you only shot 7. That is some bad shooting though, got to love the love the engine gives us sometimes ;)
5/9/2014 5:36 PM
Alright guys, a little late in the day but I finally managed to update the scores. I've been getting some great feedback and I really appreciate it. As a result I feel like the scores are a lot more accurate than they would have been on my own. Still not quite perfect, but getting real close now I think.

I also have a program that I have shared a bit with a couple coaches, it's a simulation tool. You may have seen a glimpse of it in the =SE simulated 1,000 games between BrianXavier's Millsaps team and Spasticity's Stillman team in Naismith. Well, I finished working on it today. I was wondering if you all wanted me to put it on the website in its BETA phase or spend another 10-14 days testing it. I would certainly love the feedback to pinpoint any inconsistencies. You would have to plug in your own teams to view them if they are not in Rupp, but I set it up in a way that it's not a difficult task. So now you can see your entire team's scores and simulate games against other teams, and across worlds if you like. You guys want to try it out or do you think I should wait a little longer and keep testing? I don't mind :)

http://StarrEngine.yolasite.com
5/9/2014 9:35 PM
Posted by rednu on 5/9/2014 5:12:00 PM (view original):
In a related note...Western New England announces an immediate opening for the position of Assistant Coach, Free Throw Mechanics. Please send resume, cover letter and references to our athletic office.

1-for-7....we went 1-for-freaking-7 from the stripe last night.

ONE...for freaking SEVEN!!

#notenoughtequilaintheworld
Dear Athletic Conference of Western New England University

Cover Letter: I am a highly qualified coach that excels in teaching players on how to make a FT.

Resume: 73.1% FT shooting team and SotD Inc. CEO

Thank you for your consideration,

Carson ThreeThreeThree

5/9/2014 9:36 PM
Coached the 22nd best FT shooter in D3 all-time (what color ribbon would that be?) Orville kash. 90.1% 372-413. Taught him everything he knew. Just don't look at my current team Ft % right now... Hahaha
5/10/2014 7:41 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...14 Next ▸
Season 73, D3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.