Minimum Wage Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 5/6/2014 4:58:00 PM (view original):
If people had to report, and do these menial minimum wage-type jobs, to get their unemployment checks, you'd see claims fall off really quickly.
Bingo.  Same with welfare.
5/6/2014 6:44 PM
The bleeding hearts would never go for it but, if anyone receiving govt assistance was considered a part-time govt employee, things could be a lot different.   They would have to report to get their checks, would be assigned ability-specific part-time jobs and would be subject to drug-testing.   Govt assistance would be a whole new ballgame.    Never happen but one can dream.
5/7/2014 9:40 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2014 9:40:00 AM (view original):
The bleeding hearts would never go for it but, if anyone receiving govt assistance was considered a part-time govt employee, things could be a lot different.   They would have to report to get their checks, would be assigned ability-specific part-time jobs and would be subject to drug-testing.   Govt assistance would be a whole new ballgame.    Never happen but one can dream.
BEST.  IDEA.  EVER.
5/7/2014 11:11 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 5/7/2014 11:11:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2014 9:40:00 AM (view original):
BEST.  IDEA.  EVER.
I would love to hear all the reasons why the left thinks this is a bad idea.
5/7/2014 11:27 AM
I have no problem with that, other than the drug testing. It's a jobs program, similar to what FDR did and what Obama proposed before. Good to know you righties are so in love with New Deal style stimulus.
5/7/2014 11:32 AM
Well, the first would be "Everyone doesn't have access to transportation."

My response would be "Driving is a job.  One of the "part-time employees" would be assigned a van to pick-up those who don't have access to transportation. 
The response to that would be "Some people aren't capable of travel."  Which is fine but they better be there when the 2nd "part-time job" is created. Check in on those who can't travel.
5/7/2014 11:36 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/7/2014 11:32:00 AM (view original):
I have no problem with that, other than the drug testing. It's a jobs program, similar to what FDR did and what Obama proposed before. Good to know you righties are so in love with New Deal style stimulus.
Just curious as to why you think it is fine for people receiving gov't assistance to spend those tax payer dollars on drugs?
5/7/2014 11:38 AM
OK, I guess "access to transportation" isn't the first.

Govt employees are subject to drug testing.    Case closed. 
5/7/2014 11:40 AM
Seems like perhaps if they didn't spend money on illegal drugs they wouldn't need so much assistance. Am I missing something there?
5/7/2014 11:42 AM
As I understand it, illegal drugs are not a necessity required to "get by" until a better opportunity presents itself.
5/7/2014 11:43 AM
Posted by mchalesarmy on 5/7/2014 11:38:00 AM (view original):
Just curious as to why you think it is fine for people receiving gov't assistance to spend those tax payer dollars on drugs?
If you're hiring them to do a job, it's their money to spend how they want. I don't have a problem with someone working m-f 9-5 and going home on Friday night and having a beer or smoking a joint. They won't still be drunk/stoned on Monday.
5/7/2014 11:43 AM
But it's not that big of a deal. The jobs program would be worth it, with or without testing.

Good job guys, we finally agree on something. Stimulus works.
5/7/2014 11:44 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/7/2014 11:43:00 AM (view original):
Posted by mchalesarmy on 5/7/2014 11:38:00 AM (view original):
If you're hiring them to do a job, it's their money to spend how they want. I don't have a problem with someone working m-f 9-5 and going home on Friday night and having a beer or smoking a joint. They won't still be drunk/stoned on Monday.
So as the system stands now, where you aren't "hiring them to do a job" and they're just getting assistance for doing nothing it would be reasonable to drug screen them?
5/7/2014 11:45 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/7/2014 11:44:00 AM (view original):
But it's not that big of a deal. The jobs program would be worth it, with or without testing.

Stimulus beats the hell out of giving people money for doing nothing. 
5/7/2014 11:46 AM
Posted by mchalesarmy on 5/7/2014 11:46:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 5/7/2014 11:44:00 AM (view original):

Stimulus beats the hell out of giving people money for doing nothing. 
Giving people money for doing nothing is a form of stimulus.
5/7/2014 11:50 AM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12...127 Next ▸
Minimum Wage Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.