Interesting Battle Topic

who won?!
5/5/2014 3:08 PM
The suspense is killing me!
5/5/2014 4:31 PM
This would be close, prestige is not a big deal when it comes to battles in D2, and an A vs. A- is nearly a meaningless difference. So what it comes down to is 2 hvs and 3svs are worth more than a start and 10 additional minutes, my guess is that it is and the A- won.
5/5/2014 4:55 PM
I don't understand how you got this information... How do you have the breakdown of hvs and svs in this battle?
5/5/2014 5:11 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/5/2014 1:21:00 PM (view original):
D2

Team A:  A prestige, 28 HV, promised start, 20 minutes, 1 call
Team B:  A- prestige  30 HV, 3 SV, no start, 10 minutes
discounting prestige, team b is clearly ahead. however, their advantage is only about a 3-4% advantage. with the advantage of team a's prestige being anywhere from nothing to two partial grades, this could easily go either way without saying anything about prestige, or anything else, really.

with margins this small, considering credit or home preference are certainly not negligible, which makes it even more the case that this question cannot be answered with the information at hand.
5/5/2014 5:14 PM
Team B's advantage is slightly higher.  I vote for team b.
5/5/2014 5:18 PM
Team B
5/5/2014 5:31 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/5/2014 2:51:00 PM (view original):
It was back and forth.  There were at least 4 changes in the FSS.   Team A is probably a lowish A and Team B might be a high A-/
this does make b more likely though... the only tangible in the whole thing is the 3-4% advantage of team B in raw effort, without prestige, home/away, and considering credit. but if you are saying considering credit was nothing, and the prestige gap is basically nothing, it makes the odds for team A a bit bleak. still, 3-4% is so low, one could think prestige and considering credit were about nothing, and still have them be worth that 3-4%...
5/5/2014 5:43 PM
My rationale was this (I don't have it broken down to numbers as gillispie does) - Even assuming the A/A- difference is small and not overly important at D2, I'd expect it to be worth at least the difference of 3 SV - 1 PC. That leaves 2 HV vs a start and 10 minutes.

Given the tone of this thread, I'm beginning to suspect that promises are as under-powered as I feared. 

If that is actually the case, maybe (if/when there's ever a recruiting update) the value of promises should be increased (substantially), along with stricter/harsher penalties for breaking any promises.
5/5/2014 5:54 PM
Team B signed him.   

I was working  under the assumption that a start was worth roughly a CV but now I think it might be worth less than a 1.5 HV.

I don't know what the hell minutes are worth but it appears to be minimal.

In a nut shell  2 HV's and  S SVs  (or a little more than 3 HVS) are worth more than a start and 10 minutes.

(and after looking at it, I think it is a low A vs a low A-)
5/5/2014 6:38 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/5/2014 6:40:00 PM (view original):
Team B signed him.   

I was working  under the assumption that a start was worth roughly a CV but now I think it might be worth less than a 1.5 HV.

In a nut shell  2 HV's and  S SVs  (or a little more than 3 HVS) are worth more than a start and 10 minutes.

minutes and starts are really not worth that much... the start is under a CV but more than 1.5HV. the minutes, im not sure exactly the difference. but i basically rounded it all off and put team B up by 1 HV - maybe slightly higher - which out of 30, is like, 3-4%. considering credit can easily be worth more than that over the course of recruiting, but if you were both on him roughly the same amount the same way, its hard for that to be worth that much. i think prestige in d2 is 10% per full grade, so if you had an average A to an average A-, you'd be as close to a wash as you could get, it seems to me. but if it was a bit closer than a partial grade, its advantage team B.
5/5/2014 8:00 PM
Posted by zbrent716 on 5/5/2014 5:54:00 PM (view original):
My rationale was this (I don't have it broken down to numbers as gillispie does) - Even assuming the A/A- difference is small and not overly important at D2, I'd expect it to be worth at least the difference of 3 SV - 1 PC. That leaves 2 HV vs a start and 10 minutes.

Given the tone of this thread, I'm beginning to suspect that promises are as under-powered as I feared. 

If that is actually the case, maybe (if/when there's ever a recruiting update) the value of promises should be increased (substantially), along with stricter/harsher penalties for breaking any promises.
the thing about 1 partial grade is, it can be 0 partial grades or 2 partial grades. technically, its at least .000001 or so and at most 1.99999 or so partial grades, but that cannot be ignored! so you really can't say anything about the value of the prestige difference here being worth at least anything :( i think this is why the values on d1 prestige (and indeed, d2/d3 prestige) vary so wildly from one veteran coach to another, even guys who have traded battle notes. its because people look at 1 letter grade and go well thats pretty far apart, i should be able to figure out something with that! but then that can be 2/3rds or 1 1/3rd grade, which is a factor of 2 difference! so based on the numbers, you might be able to say, prestige is in the 50-100% range, but that is a pretty damn huge range, and battles in d1 almost never take place between schools who are over a grade apart.
5/5/2014 8:03 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/5/2014 8:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/5/2014 6:40:00 PM (view original):
Team B signed him.   

minutes and starts are really not worth that much... the start is under a CV but more than 1.5HV. the minutes, im not sure exactly the difference. but i basically rounded it all off and put team B up by 1 HV - maybe slightly higher - which out of 30, is like, 3-4%. considering credit can easily be worth more than that over the course of recruiting, but if you were both on him roughly the same amount the same way, its hard for that to be worth that much. i think prestige in d2 is 10% per full grade, so if you had an average A to an average A-, you'd be as close to a wash as you could get, it seems to me. but if it was a bit closer than a partial grade, its advantage team B.
Gill, does your statement on the value of starts apply to this specific battle, or just in general? I don't remember if it was Tarek or Seble told me in a ticket reply that promises carry more weight the better the school is; so a promise at my UCLA program means a lot more than the same promise at my GW program, which counts for more than a promise from my DII school, etc.
5/5/2014 8:33 PM
I'm also interested in how you got such detailed info on this battle.
5/6/2014 9:28 AM
I just asked the other coach after it was over.
5/6/2014 9:29 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Interesting Battle Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.