Film Study Practice Category Idea (Poll) Topic

Do you think an individual practice category of "study film" would be a worthwhile addition?
Votes: 98
(Last vote received: 9/1/2014 5:07 PM)
5/20/2014 2:19 AM
Right now, transfers can be tough to use effectively because they may not fit your existing O/D and won't catch up in time.

Likewise, if you have to play a freshman heavy minutes, you face a somewhat stiff penalty because they learn the O/D slowly.

There are many other times where you have a senior who has maxed out across the board and has a ton of useless minutes left. As is, you can't have them improve the IQ without changing the practice settings for the entire team.

Switching O/D (or running a combo D) is made difficult by the fact you either have to commit minutes to the multiple Ds for the whole team. How much easier if you could keep only the starters improving in the existing O/D while allowing backups to focus instead on the "new" O/D.

Here is a solution - just like study hall, conditioning, or any other potential allocation of practice minutes, add "film study" - an *individual* category for practice minutes that helps improve IQ.

If there are concerns about the power of "film study" make it have diminishing returns. Perhaps film study is only 1/2 as effective as team O/D practice, for example, so 10 minutes of team zone practice is as effective at improving IQ as 20 minutes of film study.

Am I missing something or would this be a welcome addition?
5/23/2014 10:32 AM (edited)
It could also be useful for those *special* players who just don't seem to pick up on things as quickly as the rest of the team.
5/20/2014 2:27 AM
Seems like a much more "simple" fix to this problem than the one billyg submitted, but don't tell him that, haha.
5/20/2014 2:50 AM
its not even remotely the same issue, but don't tell nacho that :) also, IMO from a programming and release standpoint, this is arguably more difficult - requires a UI change and a simple back end change - instead of a simple, but slightly more complex back end change.
5/20/2014 3:35 AM (edited)
hey zbrent, i like the idea, its been tossed around before, and the main issue i ran into is, how do you assign what o/d is being practiced? this is true both with a simple setup - say motion/man - is it split improvement for each? what about in the case of multiple sets? i think there are a couple decent answers, but i think that does need to be established. 
5/20/2014 3:00 AM
I got some ideas on this, but I'll leave the specs to the code monkeys...I'm a big picture kinda guy.
5/20/2014 3:06 AM
For those of you opposed to the idea, it is the idea generally that you dislike or some specific concern about its method of implementation?
5/20/2014 12:06 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/20/2014 3:00:00 AM (view original):
hey zbrent, i like the idea, its been tossed around before, and the main issue i ran into is, how do you assign what o/d is being practiced? this is true both with a simple setup - say motion/man - is it split improvement for each? what about in the case of multiple sets? i think there are a couple decent answers, but i think that does need to be established. 
The specifics would absolutely have to be hammered out, and I'm open to suggestions. A comment from another thread led me to this idea though...

What if "film study" improved all offenses/defenses by some small discounted rate? That is, maybe 9 minutes of film study improved every O/D the same as 3 minutes of team practice (the numbers are flexible, obviously)?

So, if you wanted M2M as a primary D and like what 20 minutes gets you, but wanted to be able to run something different/additional in certain situations (late game losing press/M2M for example), you could devote 9 minutes to film study for the players you wanted (likely the starters in the late game instance) and then the 17 in M2M team would get those guys at least to whatever you are accustomed to with 20 minutes, plus the flexibility to play press/M2M if losing late. Or passable zone D if you lose a couple players to injury/grades and have depth problems.
5/21/2014 3:23 PM
Is there a cap for an A+ IQ?  Or does it keep going up to A+++ like prestige?  This would definitely come into play with these implementations.

I have a JR with an A+ IQ on DEF already, so I was wondering about this recently.
5/21/2014 4:54 PM
Posted by clouseb on 5/21/2014 4:54:00 PM (view original):
Is there a cap for an A+ IQ?  Or does it keep going up to A+++ like prestige?  This would definitely come into play with these implementations.

I have a JR with an A+ IQ on DEF already, so I was wondering about this recently.
Good question. I've always operated under the assumption that it kept going up like with Prestige.
5/21/2014 5:10 PM
I wish I'd have read down through the thread before voting. Having read the discussion, my "No" would become a "Yes." Seems like an interesting fix for the "IQ grows too slow" issue.
5/21/2014 7:24 PM
Transfers O/D IQ's are easy if you have been recruiting transfers for a while....You simply click on the school listed right on his player card and see what O/D his previous school was running.  That gives you his best O/D too. Not an indicator of how well he learned the O/D, but it tells you how well he might fit your school.

As for the poll question,   I don't like film study being added, unless you lower the 9 minute mark per skill to raise his ratings.  Too many categories now.
5/23/2014 2:42 PM
Posted by wvufan76 on 5/23/2014 2:42:00 PM (view original):
Transfers O/D IQ's are easy if you have been recruiting transfers for a while....You simply click on the school listed right on his player card and see what O/D his previous school was running.  That gives you his best O/D too. Not an indicator of how well he learned the O/D, but it tells you how well he might fit your school.

As for the poll question,   I don't like film study being added, unless you lower the 9 minute mark per skill to raise his ratings.  Too many categories now.
Right, wvufan, you can see how well he already knows the offense/defense you run.

But it's also very limiting (I probably am especially aware of this as someone who runs zone, which most don't).

I would like the option to recruit a center who was at a press school - knowing I could devote extra time to his getting caught up in the zone at the expense of his passing development for example.

As is, I either have to change the zone time for *everyone* or accept that he'll never be an A- or higher zone D guy, or limit my recruitment to transfers who already know how to play zone (trust me, there aren't many).

As for adding more minutes/lowering minutes, I think there *should* be some tradeoff, so I don't think that is necessary/appropriate. And, btw, I think your 9 minute mark is off by at least a minute or two, depending on the player.
5/23/2014 4:41 PM
Posted by zbrent716 on 5/23/2014 4:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wvufan76 on 5/23/2014 2:42:00 PM (view original):

Right, wvufan, you can see how well he already knows the offense/defense you run.

But it's also very limiting (I probably am especially aware of this as someone who runs zone, which most don't).

I would like the option to recruit a center who was at a press school - knowing I could devote extra time to his getting caught up in the zone at the expense of his passing development for example.

As is, I either have to change the zone time for *everyone* or accept that he'll never be an A- or higher zone D guy, or limit my recruitment to transfers who already know how to play zone (trust me, there aren't many).

As for adding more minutes/lowering minutes, I think there *should* be some tradeoff, so I don't think that is necessary/appropriate. And, btw, I think your 9 minute mark is off by at least a minute or two, depending on the player.
its off by at least two and possibly as much as 9 :)

the whole point of film study, it seems to me, is to have a place to put extra minutes for IQ practice. having *any* minimum requirement not to digress, it totally defeats the purpose. so assuming 0 minutes mean everything works exactly like it does today, there is no impact from the number of categories/minimum to break even type of stuff. they aren't really even related i don't think...

also wvufan if you are really practicing 9 minutes to maintain a nearly capped category, you are wasting 9 minutes a lot of times over. give it a shot, you might see a drop from time to time, but if you are really worried about that, at least go down to the break even point of roughly 5 minutes (it varies by player and by rating, lp/per specifically are less than everything else).
5/23/2014 5:15 PM
12 Next ▸
Film Study Practice Category Idea (Poll) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.