Posted by stinenavy on 5/21/2014 12:35:00 PM (view original):
Does this allow you to game the system a bit? So if I have an underclassman that might go as a 2nd rounder, can I hold back his ratings and have him get passed a few guys to ensure that he doesn't leave early?
You have always been able to game the system in this way.
5/21/2014 12:52 PM
Posted by kmasonbx on 5/21/2014 12:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 5/21/2014 12:35:00 PM (view original):
Does this allow you to game the system a bit? So if I have an underclassman that might go as a 2nd rounder, can I hold back his ratings and have him get passed a few guys to ensure that he doesn't leave early?
You have always been able to game the system in this way.
agreed. i remember the first time i really held players back to try to stop them from leaving early - we literally ended up losing by 1 in the championship game, after winning all game, in a game i thought i won 3/4 times or so. it was pretty brutal. the guy i was most worried about ended up staying, so it wasn't a total disaster, but i still have to wonder, if he had those 5 extra points of perimeter... i mean it was only one point, ANYTHING can make that difference!
5/21/2014 1:06 PM
Great addition.  Small suggestion…. would be nice if we could also sort by team and/or user.  Thanks!
5/21/2014 1:24 PM
I like the increased energy focused towards Hoops Dynasty lately.  I look forward to further improvements
5/21/2014 1:24 PM
Posted by creilmann on 5/21/2014 1:24:00 PM (view original):
Great addition.  Small suggestion…. would be nice if we could also list by team and/or user.  Thanks!
make the columns sort-able so you can sort by any of them - by class, by status, by team, etc
5/21/2014 1:25 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 5/21/2014 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by creilmann on 5/21/2014 1:24:00 PM (view original):
Great addition.  Small suggestion…. would be nice if we could also list by team and/or user.  Thanks!
make the columns sort-able so you can sort by any of them - by class, by status, by team, etc
Yes, exactly.
5/21/2014 1:25 PM
I'm not saying you couldn't before, but you were doing it blindly. If a guy is a first rounder you'd be wasting your time and hurting your team for no gain. If the guy is in the 50s or so it might be worth the while to stunt develop.
5/21/2014 1:27 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 5/21/2014 1:27:00 PM (view original):
I'm not saying you couldn't before, but you were doing it blindly. If a guy is a first rounder you'd be wasting your time and hurting your team for no gain. If the guy is in the 50s or so it might be worth the while to stunt develop.
i agree - i share your concern. i think its a very legitimate concern.
5/21/2014 1:45 PM
Question for Seble.
Does the Draft board update as the season progresses?
Or is it frozen once it rolls out after rosters roll over?

I have had the #1 overall recruit leave as a freshman before. He wouldn't be on this list at all unless it updates.
5/21/2014 1:48 PM
It will update throughout the season.
5/21/2014 1:59 PM
zags, thanks for the Crum info.

Also, the board isn't frozen, as I see some Rupp freshmen at Florida on the list.  So it must update at some point.

And I thought about mentioning the sorting-by-column-headings too, but didn't want to appear ungrateful for seble's improvement.  Making a tweak like this should be pretty straightforward I'd think and would be good to see.

5/21/2014 2:00 PM
Posted by seble on 5/21/2014 1:59:00 PM (view original):
Thanks for the quick response.
Also like to say thanks for the reaction and change on the .425% for the PIT minimum.
The game is played by alot of people.... (gonna pull some numbers out of my back-side here), however probably 75-80% of them seldom look at these forums.... and maybe 90% never ever post here.
A very vocal minority on here sometimes effect change in the game when really if the entire player base was polled the majority opinion would truely surprise everyone.
Seble seems to gravitate to the side of caution when changing the game in ways that affect everyone.... expecially the silent majority.
Very much appreciated Seble.
HD, for the most part is a very fun, realistic basketball sim/escape for those of us fortunate enough to have stumbled across this web-site.
Whether I am for a minimum on the PIT entry level or not.... Seble agreed there was an issue, (at least in the forums...LOL), address it in a positive way. and gave a solution. a compromise even tho it appeared he didn't see a problem even existed.
Again, well done
5/21/2014 2:13 PM
how often does it update? it might be better to only update periodically, and not to update between the start and the end of the post season - other wise it could shed a little too much light on what makes players go early. its good for people to know, to some extent, but if people know exactly what causes players to leave early, it might result in massive manipulation, like there was back in the days when stats played into draft picks. but whatever you decide, i think this is pretty sweet!

on the stat side of things - is it still true that stats have no bearing on if a player leaves early or not? i see you mention player awards, which are based on stats, which surprised me a bit, as i thought all that stat related stuff had no impact (probably my fault for reading too much into things). but back to the stat thing, once players do decide to leave early or not, do stats actually end up playing into the real draft order? 
5/21/2014 2:18 PM (edited)
Posted by zags27 on 5/21/2014 2:13:00 PM (view original):
Thanks for the quick response.
Also like to say thanks for the reaction and change on the .425% for the PIT minimum.
The game is played by alot of people.... (gonna pull some numbers out of my back-side here), however probably 75-80% of them seldom look at these forums.... and maybe 90% never ever post here.
A very vocal minority on here sometimes effect change in the game when really if the entire player base was polled the majority opinion would truely surprise everyone.
Seble seems to gravitate to the side of caution when changing the game in ways that affect everyone.... expecially the silent majority.
Very much appreciated Seble.
HD, for the most part is a very fun, realistic basketball sim/escape for those of us fortunate enough to have stumbled across this web-site.
Whether I am for a minimum on the PIT entry level or not.... Seble agreed there was an issue, (at least in the forums...LOL), address it in a positive way. and gave a solution. a compromise even tho it appeared he didn't see a problem even existed.
Again, well done
i agree. i think in the earlier years, seble was less cautious, and did make some changes based on the vocal minority, and sometimes taking things too far. but everything does recently here seems to be reserved, which is awesome, subtle, small steps are the way to go - way less controversy, and with the game already fairly finely tuned, its by nature very tough to nail a major adjustment. 
5/21/2014 2:17 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/21/2014 2:18:00 PM (view original):
how often does it update? it might be better to only update periodically, and not to update between the start and the end of the post season - other wise it could shed a little too much light on what makes players go early. its good for people to know, to some extent, but if people know exactly what causes players to leave early, it might result in massive manipulation, like there was back in the days when stats played into draft picks. but whatever you decide, i think this is pretty sweet!

on the stat side of things - is it still true that stats have no bearing on if a player leaves early or not? i see you mention player awards, which are based on stats, which surprised me a bit, as i thought all that stat related stuff had no impact (probably my fault for reading too much into things). but back to the stat thing, once players do decide to leave early or not, do stats actually end up playing into the real draft order? 
It will always show up-to-date information. 

It's not a secret what causes players to leave early - a player's class combined with projected draft slot is what determines the odds of leaving.  The notes on the new page are just a high-level view of those odds, but even if two players have the same message (e.g. "Likely staying"), that doesn't mean they have exactly the same odds.  It's also leaving out two big factors (team success and awards), so this isn't going to exactly match the actual draft.  It's meant as a guide for coaches to get an idea of what is likely to happen. 

As you mention, there's an indirect effect of stats from awards, but stats are not directly a factor in anything draft related. 

5/21/2014 2:25 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.