Have I lost my mind? Ninth inning strategy Topic

Here's the scenario,

Bottom of the ninth, two outs and a runner on second. I am up one run. For the next batter, my marquee closer intentionally walks the potential game winning run! Two batters later, he's crossed home plate and I've lost.

To me, this is a no brainer: this was a mistake by the Sim, so I sent in a ticket with the link to the game.

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=22495715&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

Not only did support say it was not a mistake, they seemingly scoffed at me, telling me "this is a common tactic" used in baseball.

Have I lost my damn mind here? Or is WIS putting forth the same effort in customer support as they have with the rest of their product?
6/3/2014 11:49 AM
What is your intentional walk setting at? I never put mine higher than 1 because I have seen some screwy things with intentional passes in the past.
6/3/2014 12:52 PM
I'd be slightly annoyed if it happened to me, but then I keep my Intentional Walks setting on 1 and my teams typically issue about 5 IBB's a season.  In your example, I think a lot depends on your IW setting.  Is it 3 or more?  If so, I can see why an IBB was issued to a batter with an AVG# of .302 to get to a batter with an AVG# of .245.
6/3/2014 12:53 PM
I never changed it so it was at three.

Also, the reason I was given was not for batter matchup but to create an opportunity to get a forced out at second....
6/3/2014 1:34 PM
Understood, but if the on deck batter had had a much higher AVG# than the batter at the plate, I'm not sure the IBB would have been issued. 

When you take into account the opportunity for a forced out, the differences in AVG, and the IW setting of 3, I don't think the IBB was an unreasonable call.  It didn't work out for your team in this instance, but them's the breaks.

Also, you got a response to your ticket!  And to go by the date on the boxscore, in a timely fashion, too!

6/3/2014 1:44 PM
Yea, it shocked me when they responded and the game doesn't really matter. I just can't get over intentionally putting the game winning run on.
6/3/2014 2:02 PM
And this is another SIM lesson in "Why you never, ever, ever let your IBB setting be higher than 1."
6/3/2014 2:32 PM
And if that's the lesson, consider it learned!

I just felt like I had gone crazy because they acted like "duh, of course you walk the potential game-winning run in that situation" and that is so far from what my years of playing baseball tell me.

6/3/2014 2:59 PM
Posted by billyho1515 on 6/3/2014 2:59:00 PM (view original):
And if that's the lesson, consider it learned!

I just felt like I had gone crazy because they acted like "duh, of course you walk the potential game-winning run in that situation" and that is so far from what my years of playing baseball tell me.

Yeah, you have to remember, this is SIM baseball. Not real baseball. 
WIS doesn't care that their games don't resemble the real thing even if it is something as basic as keeping the winning run off base.
6/3/2014 11:10 PM
Here's one from real life that's rather similar to the situation described in the first post:

Bottom of the ninth, two outs and a runner on second.  Visitors are up one run.  For the next batter, the pitcher (who has a no-hitter going!) intentionally walks the potential game winning run.  The very next batter hits a double, scoring both baserunners. 

That's how Game 4 of the 1947 World Series ended!

www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BRO/BRO194710030.shtml

6/3/2014 11:52 PM
walking Joyner (.303) with the tying run at second to get to Vaughn (.239), with Justice (.244) to follow, does not seem like an overtly stupid move...but like everyone else says, I always set my IW to 1.
6/4/2014 5:57 AM
Have I lost my mind? Ninth inning strategy Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.