NEW Revised Geographical Prog League FULL Topic

NOTE: THIS IS A VERY REVISED VERSION OF THE PREVIOUS "50 STATES AND COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD PROGRESSIVE LEAGUE PROPOSAL". 

Changes: I have consolidated all the US states and territories and the countries of the world that have been the birth places of MLB players into 16 regions which are roughly equal in the numbers of available players.   The league will be 16 teams, not 24 as previously planned. 

The idea is to have some of the fun available in OLs of multi-era teams AND to reduce the importance (ahem, obsession) with draft position that is the one major drawback of progressive leagues, while also giving us a chance to utilize the cool info available on baseball-reference.com especially the page on players' biographical info (here: www.baseball-reference.com/bio/). 

So here goes: 16 teams, 4 divisions. No DH,AAA, clones. All parks can be used but only one version of each park  in the league at a time. 

Below is a list of the number of players who played in MLB born in each state in the US and in foreign countries (as well as some whose birthplace is unknown who for now will not be used in our league).  I have bunched these together more or less geographically to create a round parity in the number of overall players available in each of the 16 regions. 

We will randomly order each team for each round of the original founding draft AND do the same for each geographic place listed below. Teams will be ranked 1-16 each round randomly therefore and the corresponding geographical areas will likewise be ranked 1-16. The teams will be matched each round with the region (as listed below) with the corresponding number that round.

Each round, each team may draft a player from ANY time period from a state or country in that region.. It is possible that teams will draft from the same region more than once in a draft, . But we draft ONLY ROOKIE SEASONS. The players drafted then begin their careers in our drafted season, and continue on the rosters until traded to another team or until they retire. We will draft up to a maximum of 30 players for our rosters. 

Once a player has been drafted by a team, they cannot be drafted by any other team. Once a player has retired, they are retired forever from the league and will never return. 

Each seasonal draft we will again use this same random method to assign draft place in each round, and to assign regions to those teams in each round to draft players from. 

At first, most players will be all-time greats - though not all since some states are not represented by any Hall of Famers for example. And some states and countries with all-time greats will not have been drafted from at all in the founding draft nor in the first few seasons. 

But eventually over time there will be a gradual reduction of the quality of the players available, making draft position ever less important in the league, and knowledge of and ability to use average and bench players ever more important. Still, with 1,,000 players represented, each region should be able to supply us with good players for many seasons to come.

The draft will not be "fair" in the sense that some teams could find themselves at a disadvantage with the regions assigned them - there is a rough parity in numbers but no guarantee that each region will have the same overall depth in quality of players it offers over time. Further, placement within the draft order per se (that is the traditional first or second position etc.) will have no real meaning whatsoever. We will embrace this chaotic order and enjoy it. 

IMPORTANT NOTE TO HELP YOUR RESEARCH:

The page reproduced below comes from: http://www.baseball-reference.com/bio/

That page allows you to click at the top of the chart of listing players from any one of the states or countries and order them by any stat you want - so you can find out who the best batters and pitchers are from Nebraska, Georgia, Italy, or Poland by BA, ERA, HRs etc. to ease your research. For California, which I have divided into two time-based regions, click on the California players page on "to" as in "from - to" - to order players by their last season played. Those who finished careers before 1990 are in one group and the rest in another. 

About the 77 players whose birthplaces are unknown: I checked and all but 20 of these finished their careers before 1885 when our WIS database begins, and of those 20 none played in more than 8 games in their career. So we are leaving them out for simplicity sake. 

KEEP IN MIND THAT ANY PLAYERS FROM A STATE OR COUNTRY WHO COMPLETED THEIR CAREER BEFORE 1885 IS NOT LISTED IN THE WIS DATABASE.. THOSE PLAYERS WILL BE ALLOWED SO LONG AS THEY PLAYED FROM 1885, WITH 1885 BEING CONSIDERED THEIR ROOKIE SEASON.

Here are the states and countries currently to be used to select players from: 

1)    1.  Atlantic Coast-  1,331 players

New Jersey (418) Maryland (303) Delaware (52) District of Columbia (98) Florida (460)

2)     Stagecoach – 1,324  Players

Alaska (11) Nevada (33) Utah (38) Idaho (28) Montana (23) Arizona (95) Oregon (124) Colorado (86)Wyoming (14) Washington (185) Hawaii (38) North Dakota (16) South Dakota (37) Kansas (211) Nebraska (112) Oklahoma (246)

New Mexico (27)

3)     3. Dixie  1,358 players

Alabama (315) Virginia (277)  South Carolina (174)Georgia (330)

4)    4.  California Careers ended before 1990 – 1,067  Players

5)    5.  California Careers ended from 1990 on – 1,017 players

6)    6.  New York 1,178 players

7)     7. Pennsylvania 1,391 players

8)    8. Ohio 1,009 players

9)      Down the Mississippi: 1,035

Louisiana (244) ) Missouri (594) Mississippi (197)

10)   Texarkana – 1.039

Texas 858  Arkansas 151

11) Appalachia – 1.071 players

Tennessee (287) Kentucky (274)

North Carolina (391) West Virginia (119)

12)  Illinois 1,035 players

13)  MIdwestern  Progressivism  - 1,393

Indiana (363) Michigan (424) Minnesota (163) Iowa (215)

Wisconsin (238)

14) New England - 1,089

Connecticut (197) Massachusetts (652) Maine (77) New Hampshire (51)Rhode Island (75) Vermont (37)

15)   Caribbean – 1,032

Dominican Republic (597) Puerto Rico (238) U. S. Virgin Islands (11) Cuba (182) Jamaica (4)

16)   16) The Rest of the World: 1.099 players

Afghanistan (1)

American Samoa (1)

Aruba (5)

At Sea (1)

Australia (28)

Austria (4)

Bahamas (6)

Belgium (1)

Belize (1)

Brazil (2)

Canada (244)

China (1)

Colombia (13)

Curacao (14)

Czech Republic (3)

Denmark (1)

Finland (1)

France (9)

Germany (41)

Greece (1)

Guam (1)

Honduras (1)

Indonesia (1)

Ireland (47)

Italy (7)

Japan (60)

Lithuania (1)

Mexico (114)

Netherlands (10)

Nicaragua (13)

Norway (3)

Panama (53)

Philippines (1)

Poland (5)

Russian Federation (8)

Saudi Arabia (2)

Singapore (1)

Slovakia (1)

South Korea (15)

Spain (4)

Sweden (4)

Switzerland (1)

Taiwan (11)

United Kingdom (46)

Venezuela (310)

Viet Nam (1)

6/18/2014 8:42 AM (edited)
if i'm unlucky, and draw all two and one digit states, what are the odds i would actually enter my team
6/7/2014 10:12 PM
It would take a heck of a streak of bad luck to hit all one and two digit states and countries in thirty tries and not get one Ty Cobb, Dwight Gooden, Juan Marichal or Rogers Hornsby, but it is possible. 

I have entered a lot of teams, in theme leagues, progs, OLs, that had no chance of winning whatever and I don't think I am the only one that has done so knowingly. The following season the same owner could find themselves continually drawing from the California well. Uncertainty is part of the charm.

Arnold Rothstein called himself a "professional gambler" but in fact he never gambled on anything in his life. We, hopefully, are different.
6/8/2014 8:29 AM
I'll give this a try.
6/9/2014 1:45 PM
Yeah ! welcome shawbigred. 

Two in. 
6/9/2014 4:57 PM

I've read it a few times and I'm still not sure about it. I like the idea of randomness...I don't know if I like the idea of the potential disparity. I could see some 160 million teams facing some 60 million teams pretty easily. Some thoughts:

• Combine the single digit places into a grouping (either by region or just simply by number)
  • Break the large states into time frames, decades or eras (to prevent someone from simply getting a big state multiple times and cherry picking multiple HOF)
  • For big states, add a random "career length" requirement to each draft pick (0-3, 4-7, 8-12, 13+) so there is another way to add some parity
  • Come up with ways to equalize teams like the use of a salary cap or something similar to prevent a situation where you have multiple high cap and a low cap teams in the league
I love to tempt fate and love LOTD, but I can't see myself entering into a league where there is a potential to have competitive balance issues right from the start.
6/10/2014 11:35 AM
frazzman80, one of the best players on the whole site, I will take your suggestions seriously. Maybe I will take another crack at this after a busy work week ends and I can re-present it in edited form. 

Thanks for the feedback ! 
6/10/2014 5:27 PM
I will try this
6/14/2014 8:34 AM
Thanks stroh23. I am going to try to come up with a slightly edited version along the lines of frazzman's suggestions and will sitemail you when I have that version posted here, as of now we are at 3. So it looks like a while filling the league but maybe the slightly streamlined version will fill faster.
6/14/2014 12:54 PM
Just my 2 cents, I don't like the idea of breaking up the big states, but think you probably should combine the small places. And don't like a salary cap
6/14/2014 2:15 PM (edited)
I was thinking the same thing - don't like salary caps in general in progs. And the bunching the small states together seems more important than breaking up the big ones, but I will look over some possibilities in the next few days and repost. 

Thanks for the input !
6/14/2014 7:25 PM
Please re-read the introduction - I have reorganized this league along lines suggested in part by frazzman80 and stroh23 to whom I am grateful for their advice. Each of 16 regions is now roughly of equal size in the number of players available and we will start as a 16 team league, so each region will be drafted from in each round of each draft. 

Example of how the draft might work: totally hypothetical and using only 5 teams to give an idea- and remember we draft players in their rookie seasons only from each region: (Team names are made up, owners can have teams from any city, state, country or region they would like):

Round 1:

1. Purple Sox - Caribbean - Sammy Sosa
2. Giants - New York - Sandy Koufax
3. Butterflies - Texarkana - Lou Brock
4. Pickles - California post-1990 - Tony Gwynn
5. Wasi'chu - New England - Carlton Fisk

Round 2: 
1. Giants - California pre-1990 - Ted Williams
2: Wasi'chu - Pennsylvania  .Stan Coveleski
3. PIckles - New England - Crhis Carpenter
4. Butterflies - Appalachia - Luke Appling 
5. Purple Sox - Stagecoach - Bob Gibson 

And so on.... new, improved, all players that ever played available in unique format. Join up now ! 12 more to go !
6/18/2014 8:40 AM
If I have the first pick in round one I still must make my selection based on how the *regions* line up for the 1st round.
So my 1st round pick might have to come from Illinois, correct?
6/18/2014 10:12 AM
Yes, grayfoxx. There is no "first pick" here. Every round is randomly ordered, since any of the regions may have superstars yet to pick. A prog where draft order makes no difference, with geography having displaced linear order as the organizing principle, and everyone having an equal chance of getting any one of the regions in any round. 
6/18/2014 12:25 PM
I will try if I may
6/18/2014 2:04 PM
1234 Next ▸
NEW Revised Geographical Prog League FULL Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.