2014 NBA Offseason Thread Topic

What morons think Bron Bron would leave after 1 season back in Cleveland?  Seriously...what moron thinks that?  He's not a 1 year rental.
7/14/2014 3:21 PM
Yeah, I don't think Lebron ever leaves Cleveland again.. It is silly that people think his contract will limit what free agents might or might not want to go there. 

For Lebron's immediate sake they should trade Wiggins but.. longterm Wiggins COULD be great for Lebron when he is 33-36. He could guard the toughest guy on D and let Lebron rest. He could take Lebron's passes and finish them. He could really extend Lebron's career by limiting his minutes and effort. 

Overall though, the best shot at titles is probably to put the best team possible around Lebron over the next 3 years when you are sure he is still one of the top 2 guys in the league. 

I think they are hoping Bennett looks great in summer league or early in the year.. and then they can deal him when he has gotten some value back.

They also have this big trade exception they can use. Whether this year or next.. Cleveland will land another All-Star on this roster and they can do it without trading Wiggins if they want.

7/14/2014 4:01 PM
Cleveland wasnt bringing in top free agents without LeBron, so why would a star player sign a long term deal with them if LeBron is only on the books for two years? I'm literally ask in everyone because its not like taking an athletes word that they'll stick around has much value.

To start another hiss fit, is lebron going to strap cleveland in the long run? If he currently does plan to stay there the rest of his career than surely his rationale is to sign short term high dollars deal now and then in couple years get one more max deal done before his prime is over, but then you're restricting your team later.
7/14/2014 4:33 PM
Posted by 05nomar05 on 7/14/2014 3:21:00 PM (view original):
What morons think Bron Bron would leave after 1 season back in Cleveland?  Seriously...what moron thinks that?  He's not a 1 year rental.
I can assure you that when I post something, thought goes into it. I post to start a discussion, so if you dont agree lets hear why. Why is there San opt out clause after one year?
7/14/2014 4:37 PM
I think the rest of the players in the NBA WANT Lebron making the MAX. If he can't get paid then who can in the league? It is silly to expect him to take less than the MAX. Somehow the players need to change the conversation away from taking pay cuts.

Perhaps the CBA should prescribe salary slots and each team has to find someone to pay..
The MAX
15-18 mil
10-15 mil
6-10 mil
all the rest <6 mil

Or something like that.

As for Lebron I think he took the short deal to re-up at more money. As for why there is an opt-out..
1. Because he could get it and having the opt-out is better than not having it. Even if I love my cell-phone plan for example.. I would prefer an opt-out of my contract every year rather than a 2 year contract. 
2. If it looks like by next summer more money is not coming from the TV deal as thought.. then he could reup at the max for 5 years next year.
3. He could theoretically take a small pay cut next year if it would get a certain player to the team.
4. He wants to keep pressure on Cleveland to get players.

7/14/2014 5:31 PM
Posted by bkbillups on 7/14/2014 4:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by 05nomar05 on 7/14/2014 3:21:00 PM (view original):
I can assure you that when I post something, thought goes into it. I post to start a discussion, so if you dont agree lets hear why. Why is there San opt out clause after one year?
Because of the CBA.  The predictions that the cap will increase.  He will opt out and get even more $$$.

Fact is, he's not leaving. 
7/15/2014 12:58 PM
He is not leaving Cleveland again barring some major dumbassery in the front office.   He's not.   He needs to be liked.   He's got enough money to last several lifetimes.   He's won a couple of titles.  There really is nothing left for him except to win a title for Cleveland.

Think of the all-time greats.  How many played for more than a couple of teams?
7/15/2014 2:37 PM
Gretzky?
7/16/2014 3:08 PM
Lance Stephenson for 3 years $27M to Charlotte is a steal. I think that's crippling for an Indiana team with little playmakers as it is. They even got a 3rd season to be a team option, so if he becomes unmanageable they can be done with him after two.
7/16/2014 4:04 PM
I read that LeBron's agent came out and said, before free agency began, that LeBron will only be interested in taking 1-2 year deals for max money for the foreseeable future. Everyone is probably right that it is until the 2017 CBA Agreement. I think LeBron does want to bring a title to Cleveland, but only signing those kinds of deals might prevent him from bringing in the talent needed. Cleveland doesn't attract top talent, so money will be the kicker to attract players.

Enough with the LeBron talk though, does anyone believe the talk that Greg Monroe doesn't want to play with Josh Smith and wants out of Detroit? If so, who gets him? Would love to see him in Atlanta, but I think Detroit will match any deal.

7/16/2014 9:25 PM
It sounds like they are looking at trading Josh again. Not sure anyone has money to throw at Monroe at this point.. it would have to be a sign and trade. Not sure who would want him? He isn't much of a rim protector and he's not really a 4 in today's league.. I'm not sure what he's worth really. 

I do like Lance to Charlotte. That team could be pretty good! Lance gives them much need playmaking to go with Kemba.

I have no idea what to think of Indiana without him. Stuckey? Big downgrade.

7/17/2014 12:32 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/15/2014 2:37:00 PM (view original):
He is not leaving Cleveland again barring some major dumbassery in the front office.   He's not.   He needs to be liked.   He's got enough money to last several lifetimes.   He's won a couple of titles.  There really is nothing left for him except to win a title for Cleveland.

Think of the all-time greats.  How many played for more than a couple of teams?
Wilt, Moses Malone, Barkley, Shaq, etc all played for more than 2 teams. However, I don't think LeBron will leave Cleveland again.
7/17/2014 2:52 PM
I'm pretty sure all of the listed players were traded.   It would be different with LeBron as he would have fled via FA each time.
7/17/2014 3:00 PM
different day and age though too - free agency wasn't even a thing in Wilt's day (thank you Mr. Heywood) and into the 80s and 90s there wasn't much player free agent movement of any kind - Although Shaq to the Lakers was probably the one all-time actual FA signing you can point to (aside from "The Decision")

now Steve Nash did go to the Suns as a free agent but that was before he blossomed and there may be more examples of that scenario (where an FA blossoms in a new environment and turns into a star)

also keep in mind that S&Ts pretty much amount to FA movement by proxy as dude is gone and the organization is just trying to recoup some value - but under the terms of the new CBA there will be less S&Ts too - ask the Lakers who have watched Dwight and Pau leave behind their Bird rights in the last two summers

I think increasingly you will see FA movement of this kind unless the owners pull back in the next CBA
7/17/2014 3:15 PM (edited)
I fully expect another lockout/strike.. It is gonna get pretty ugly next time..
7/17/2014 3:59 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...8 Next ▸
2014 NBA Offseason Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.