NDL 4 Commentary thread Topic

one of the guys I was referring to is Ken O'Brien who was just taken.

Judging by his 1985 WIS numbers, I would rank him ahead of everyone, except Rodgers, Manning, Brady and Brees. He doesn't have the stamina of some of the other guys, but he can out preform any of them if you know how to use him right. He was my favorite QB to draft here until Brady's magical 2007 season.
7/28/2014 9:29 PM
Otto Graham just went - he was the one who I am guessing Tom was referring to.
7/28/2014 9:52 PM
Posted by isacqbs58 on 7/28/2014 9:28:00 PM (view original):
I'm a bit shocked last years MVP just dropped off the board and last years leading receiver still hasn't been taken.

I love the Spec Sanders pick but I'm not sure such a one dimensional QB will lead a team in this league. From what I've seen in the past season Defense and the QB make or break the team.

Roadhouse AlexSmith will be a HOF QB someday.....just ask him.
Seriously!!? 
7/28/2014 10:00 PM
Posted by gencoimports on 7/28/2014 9:29:00 PM (view original):

Judging by his 1985 WIS numbers, I would rank him ahead of everyone, except Rodgers, Manning, Brady and Brees. He doesn't have the stamina of some of the other guys, but he can out preform any of them if you know how to use him right. He was my favorite QB to draft here until Brady's magical 2007 season.
O'Brien's 85 season was outstanding, no doubt about.  But there are a boatload of qbs with a similar pass stamina that are just as good.

1. 2004 Peyton Manning
2. 2010 Tom Brady
3. 2009 Philip Rivers
4. 1975 Ken Anderson Maybe the 81 version too.
5. 1999 Kurt Warner
6. 2004 Donovan McNabb

Ok, maybe 6 doesn't add up to a boatload.  (My list was off the top of my head). But Genco would've dominated if he had used 75 Anderson vs 85 O'Brien.  Genco's title was as much to do with his roster construction and playbook as it did with 85 O'Brien.
7/28/2014 10:07 PM
Posted by isacqbs58 on 7/28/2014 9:28:00 PM (view original):
I'm a bit shocked last years MVP just dropped off the board and last years leading receiver still hasn't been taken.

I love the Spec Sanders pick but I'm not sure such a one dimensional QB will lead a team in this league. From what I've seen in the past season Defense and the QB make or break the team.

Roadhouse AlexSmith will be a HOF QB someday.....just ask him.
Last years leading receiver may not be out there for much longer.  Just sayin'.
7/28/2014 10:10 PM
Posted by roadhouse19 on 7/28/2014 10:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gencoimports on 7/28/2014 9:29:00 PM (view original):

O'Brien's 85 season was outstanding, no doubt about.  But there are a boatload of qbs with a similar pass stamina that are just as good.

1. 2004 Peyton Manning
2. 2010 Tom Brady
3. 2009 Philip Rivers
4. 1975 Ken Anderson Maybe the 81 version too.
5. 1999 Kurt Warner
6. 2004 Donovan McNabb

Ok, maybe 6 doesn't add up to a boatload.  (My list was off the top of my head). But Genco would've dominated if he had used 75 Anderson vs 85 O'Brien.  Genco's title was as much to do with his roster construction and playbook as it did with 85 O'Brien.
I'd include 63 Johnny Unitas in that list. All excellent QBs, and all could have won a title with a similar team (not so sure about Warner with a relatively low int rating)

I'd put O'Brien a tad ahead of that bunch.
7/28/2014 10:29 PM
I know you have a sh**load more titles than me, but for what it's worth, I'd roll with 04 Peyton and his 89 Pass Stamina.  I've had a couple of 6 td games from 99 Warner in Open Leagues.

I got something like 40 tds and 2 (yes 2!) ints from 10 Brady in one open league.

In an OT loss back in the day, 75 Kenny Anderson tossed for 500+ yards.  In another league, 75 Anderson directed that league's highest scoring offense (it helped that I was using 77 Walter Payton as my #1 back) to a #1 playoff seed.  If memory serves, I lost that conference game in OT.

If all of my targted qbs had been taken in round 1 in NDL 4, I would've tried to replicate the Anderson/Super Elite back (i.e. Jim Brown, OJ, Walter, Adrian Peterson, Barry Sanders) formula.  

I like sharing 'Sim Memories" like this.  Anyway, like some guys prefer brunettes over blondes, everyone has their preferences.

BTW, the only time I used 04 Peyton in an open league, I won the Super Bowl.
7/28/2014 11:58 PM (edited)
ya know, I was determined to step in and provide commentary before now, but I'm not sure how to do it. We don't know which season of players or DEFs many will use, so it's hard to judge who has the best this or that or has $$ left or not. There are holes to fill, but rounds to fill them, and it's not like many owners have already chosen their "extra' player (RB, WR, etc).  So really I have not much to say other than brilliant insights like bubba's team is gonna run a lot, and depending on the version of Bears' D used, boone may strugle to get a passing attack. 
7/29/2014 7:07 AM
Posted by roadhouse19 on 7/28/2014 11:58:00 PM (view original):
I know you have a sh**load more titles than me, but for what it's worth, I'd roll with 04 Peyton and his 89 Pass Stamina.  I've had a couple of 6 td games from 99 Warner in Open Leagues.

I got something like 40 tds and 2 (yes 2!) ints from 10 Brady in one open league.

In an OT loss back in the day, 75 Kenny Anderson tossed for 500+ yards.  In another league, 75 Anderson directed that league's highest scoring offense (it helped that I was using 77 Walter Payton as my #1 back) to a #1 playoff seed.  If memory serves, I lost that conference game in OT.

If all of my targted qbs had been taken in round 1 in NDL 4, I would've tried to replicate the Anderson/Super Elite back (i.e. Jim Brown, OJ, Walter, Adrian Peterson, Barry Sanders) formula.  

I like sharing 'Sim Memories" like this.  Anyway, like some guys prefer brunettes over blondes, everyone has their preferences.

BTW, the only time I used 04 Peyton in an open league, I won the Super Bowl.
I rolled with 04 Manning many times as well.

But 04 Manning had 89 pass accuracy, only 72 stamina (which is about the same as O'Brien and 10 Brady).  His Int rating was only 66

The reason I prefer O'Brien over Manning is that much better Int rating. Unlikely I would have been able to limit Manning to only 4 Int in NDL3 as I did with O'Brien.

7/29/2014 7:39 AM (edited)
Posted by tomhanrahan on 7/29/2014 7:07:00 AM (view original):
ya know, I was determined to step in and provide commentary before now, but I'm not sure how to do it. We don't know which season of players or DEFs many will use, so it's hard to judge who has the best this or that or has $$ left or not. There are holes to fill, but rounds to fill them, and it's not like many owners have already chosen their "extra' player (RB, WR, etc).  So really I have not much to say other than brilliant insights like bubba's team is gonna run a lot, and depending on the version of Bears' D used, boone may strugle to get a passing attack. 

For me here are the teams that look strongest so far.......In no order other then division.
bevoxxx: That Buccs D with AP running the ball. A good Oline and an accurate QB in Romo. Does he have enough cash to give Romo targets to go with Gordon and or try split the remaining cash between recievers and SPT?

gencoimports: So somehow we allowed Genco to get Tom Brady? After the O'Brien schooling we took last season I can imagine the giant ear to ear smile he had as Brady dropped in his lap. The Chargers D is tough as nails against the run and overall solid AND it is one of the better values for its price. Adding two burners at RB makes Brady even a worse threat. Interesting to see who he adds as weapons to go with Brady.

boonej38: If boone can pull off Da Bears big dawg D it may strap him badly BUT the good news for him is there are so many other options with them. As Genco showed last season O'Brien can put up HOF numbers. It can't hurt to have Barry Sanders sitting in the backfield, question is can boone use the $41 mil Bears team and still compete offensively or does he use one of the cheaper versions to add better skilled players. I dont see this team being good on SPT.

riverratk: Drew Brees with the purple people eaters defense, can't go wrong there. Adding WR Don Hudson gives Bree's one good target so far. The Falcons O-line light be a little weak especially since one division rival has the Steel Curtain defense in his corner.

bubbawit: Steelers Defense maybe the best bang for the buck D in WIS and so many options. Chargers O-line with Chris Johnson is a great combo BUT Spec Sanders at QB may really bring the defensive focus on that running game. I have this team on the list because of the Steelers Defense, it is tough as they come and can keep you in every game. Can a running QB produce in this league with the quality defenses we face every week? My hats off to bubba for stepping out and really trying something different.

7/29/2014 7:01 PM (edited)
There were some outstanding wr picks in Round 5.  Wes Chandler, Isaac Bruce, Michael Irvin, Andre Johnson, Roddy White, Victor Cruz, and Josh Gordon are all Alpha Male receiver types who can dominate any secondary.  I seriously considered taking two of those guys as early as the 2nd round to pair with my 2 franchise qbs, Marino & Fouts.

Along with those great 5th round wrs, Coolmay got RB Marshall Faulk.  You could make a case that he's a 1st round talent.
7/30/2014 10:33 AM (edited)
I love the McNabb pickup at QB. Doesn't look like he's been used a lot in these leagues and he seems like a good value to me.
7/29/2014 11:31 PM
Montana Motley and Gronk are all great values in the 5th round. As roadhouse said a lot of great WR came off the board. Also a couple head scratchers? RB Kenny Washington? A lot better RBs left for that dollar amount. QB Matt Stafford? A lot of stamina BUT will he lead the league in picks? For Staffords price tag there was a lot of QBs left on the board.
7/30/2014 9:51 AM
Posted by boonej38 on 7/29/2014 11:31:00 PM (view original):
I love the McNabb pickup at QB. Doesn't look like he's been used a lot in these leagues and he seems like a good value to me.
I do too.
7/30/2014 10:32 AM
Interogative..after round 8 we fill out our rosters with anyone who wasnt drafted but these players are not exclusive correct ?
7/30/2014 6:49 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
NDL 4 Commentary thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.