Adjusting for strength of schedule (Fatigue) Topic

This post concerns fatigue and strength of schedule. I played Schang a lot, considering my back up, Bubbles Hargrave put up great numbers but his RL stats indicated it was luck.

I was going to post about an amazing finish I had by Wally Schang 1921, the switch/hard hitting catcher. He destroyed it down the stretch for me and helped win a heated league title, despite playing at 89/88% for the last 10 games, and fatigued throughout. Final 10 game line:

.550/.654/.850, 7 doubles, 1 3B, 1 HR, 12 BB

Amazing numbers. Then I looked deeper, he beat up on two weaker pitching staffs (this is a 12 team single season progressive, so we have 5 game series)

Schang's average went up 17 points, OBP up 18 points, SLG 28 points, and OPS up 46 points in just 10 games

He had a great season with 675 PA, finishing with splits of .345/.444/.499, 46 2B, 7 3B, 9 HR, 101 BB compared to RL:

.316/.428/.452 in 544 PA, 32 2B, 5 3B, 6 HR, and 83 BB

Basically, how do you seperate the raw numbers from the true effectiveness of the player? Has anyone come up with a way to adjust stats for competition, or to normalize stats within that sim season?

How do we adjust for the game to game opposition? Beating up on the weakest teams can create misleading stats.
7/27/2014 9:06 PM
"Basically, how do you seperate the raw numbers from the true effectiveness of the player? Has anyone come up with a way to adjust stats for competition, or to normalize stats within that sim season? 

How do we adjust for the game to game opposition? Beating up on the weakest teams can create misleading stats."

That's part of what help separates a good sim manager from the pack. If you're able to recognize, through the methods you described, when someone's stats are artificially inflated, you'll know not to put much stock in the results. An average manager just sees the final numbers and thinks they are super smart for finding a new cookie.

This is also the primary reason that I really dislike players tanking seasons in progressives. Part of the allure in progressives is seeing the accumulation of stats from year to year. When they get skewed, it loses some of the realism the game strives for.
7/28/2014 10:51 AM
Adjusting for strength of schedule (Fatigue) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.