Waiver Wire Douchery & What I've Done To Fight It Topic

Posted by willsauve on 8/4/2014 2:24:00 PM (view original):
I dont think I've ever claimed a guy after the deadline with the intention of making a trade.. I usually do it to block other competing teams from getting a good player for the playoffs..
you would
8/5/2014 12:31 AM
Stay tuned for my follow up post "Why Posting in the Forums is Always a Bad Idea"
8/5/2014 9:42 AM
It's a bad idea if you expect everyone to say "Yeah, me too!!!"
8/5/2014 9:49 AM
Posted by drzachary on 8/4/2014 11:39:00 PM (view original):
I'm going to make sure to claim every single player keithjs waives.
Good to know - I have a few cruddy contracts that I'd love to unload on you.
8/5/2014 9:52 AM
Is this a dick move?

Last season, an owner claimed one of my players.  I asked "Are you interested in Joe?"   His one word reply was "Nope."   I said "OK, thanks" and left it at that.  He came back a few hours later with something along the lines of "I just claimed your guys because you claimed mine."   I said "OK, I am interested in your players if you'd like to trade them to me."  He said "No, I was trying to get them thru waivers and you claimed them.  I thought you were being a dick."   I was obviously confused because I thought I was allowed to claim players on the WW.  Nonetheless, I pointed out "You're in a playoff race.  I'm not.  I'm playing teams you need to lose.  Do you really want to pick a fight with me?"

So, anyway, we're at the time for WW this season.  If there's really no one I want, I just claim his guys.  Makes me chuckle since I know he's not going to trade with me.
8/7/2014 10:28 AM
Yea, kinda.  And if you do that, he's going to continue to do the same to you, so I'm not sure if it's the best idea.  It's not to your advantage.

I was trying to think of ways the waiver wire bothers me, and most of the things discussed really don't.  However, it would be cool if there was a "max X limit" on the waiver wire at one time rule.  It hasn't really happened in my world recently, maybe because owners are realizing it's kinda silly and cheap to waive your entire team in an attempt to clear a guy or two.  I did it a couple times but haven't since.
8/7/2014 10:56 AM
We have a "maximum 7 players per team at a time" limit in Mantle after the transaction deadline.  It works really well in throttling back on flooding of the WW.
8/7/2014 11:01 AM
Dick move, absolutely it was a Dick move on his part, but more so for the comment implying that he's growing to throw games vs teams trying to compete for a playoff spot.  Its one thing to rest guys at the end to avoid injury, but to set a lineup in a manner that greatly increases the odds of lossing is another issue.

However, how much impact does the actual claiming of your players matter?  I'm hit or miss if I actually put guys on the waiver wire after the trade deadline.  Usually I do it, just to do, but occasionally it can lead to a trade.   I've only had a handful of situations that I've actually wanted to get a guy thru waivers so that I could send them down to AAA and have them start the next season down there (as an injury insurance policy).  99% of the guys I waive at that point end up staying on my ML roster thru the end of the season and into the next rollover (assuming their contract doesn't expire)

8/7/2014 11:13 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 8/7/2014 10:56:00 AM (view original):
Yea, kinda.  And if you do that, he's going to continue to do the same to you, so I'm not sure if it's the best idea.  It's not to your advantage.

I was trying to think of ways the waiver wire bothers me, and most of the things discussed really don't.  However, it would be cool if there was a "max X limit" on the waiver wire at one time rule.  It hasn't really happened in my world recently, maybe because owners are realizing it's kinda silly and cheap to waive your entire team in an attempt to clear a guy or two.  I did it a couple times but haven't since.
135 completed seasons.   I think I can count my post-transaction deadline deals on one hand.   It doesn't really affect me. 

That said, it's not something I expect I'll do til the end of time.   Just seemed like some "payback" was necessary.   I didn't really care that he claimed my players(see above) but starting an argument with me because I claimed his seemed stupid.
8/7/2014 11:14 AM
Putting everybody through revokable waivers to see who clears and who doesn't seems like it should be a no-brainer move for everybody.

Why wouldn't you want to give yourself the maximum flexibility in the event that you want to make a move after the trade deadline?  Even if it doesn't lead to a deal (and most do not), you've at least positioned yourself for the possibility of making deals.

8/7/2014 11:17 AM
Posted by taz21 on 8/7/2014 11:13:00 AM (view original):
Dick move, absolutely it was a Dick move on his part, but more so for the comment implying that he's growing to throw games vs teams trying to compete for a playoff spot.  Its one thing to rest guys at the end to avoid injury, but to set a lineup in a manner that greatly increases the odds of lossing is another issue.

However, how much impact does the actual claiming of your players matter?  I'm hit or miss if I actually put guys on the waiver wire after the trade deadline.  Usually I do it, just to do, but occasionally it can lead to a trade.   I've only had a handful of situations that I've actually wanted to get a guy thru waivers so that I could send them down to AAA and have them start the next season down there (as an injury insurance policy).  99% of the guys I waive at that point end up staying on my ML roster thru the end of the season and into the next rollover (assuming their contract doesn't expire)

I didn't throw games.   I simply implied that I might if the "discussion" continued down the same path.  If I'd thrown games, I sure as hell wouldn't be talking about it.  I even sent a TC to the commish detailing what I'd said so he could "check up" on me if the other owner said I was throwing games to screw him over.

I honestly don't know why he got ****** over me claiming his players.  They were good players and I could use good players.  The only reason I can think of is he had a deal worked out pending a player clearing waivers.
8/7/2014 11:18 AM
The more I read this thread, the more convinced I am that all of this happens in real life. It would simply be bad business for MLB front offices to publicly air daily dealings.
8/7/2014 2:27 PM
◂ Prev 12
Waiver Wire Douchery & What I've Done To Fight It Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.