"Baseball is fine. Don't worry about it" Topic

I think the retard faction thinks we're saying "Oh yeah, by 2016 soccer will be more popular."   It won't.   But there are children now who've never played or watched baseball but have played/watched soccer.   When they become adults, I don't see them suddenly becoming baseball fan.   Boxing didn't become irrelevant overnight but it is now.    I don't know that soccer will ever be more popular than baseball in the US but it's borderline stupid to not recognize it's on the uptick and interest in baseball is declining.   
8/8/2014 3:06 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/8/2014 2:49:00 PM (view original):
Seeing that the US is becoming more and more Hispanic, and soccer is extremely popular among the arriving Spanish speaking folks, it goes to follow that soccer will become more and more popular in the US over time.  And since many of the best soccer players in the world tend to play in the English or European leagues when the World Cup is not going on . . . well, you can guess the rest.
If that's the case, we should definitely make changes to the baseball hall of fame.
8/8/2014 3:18 PM
I see the typical MikeT argument strategy is in full swing. Make stupid comments, get proven wrong and either revert to pretending he didn't say what he actually said, or go all grade school with "refute me in 25 characters or less, or I win!!!"

I'm surprised you all have humoured the fat gas bag for this long.
8/9/2014 3:16 PM
8/20/2014 7:47 AM
I did not watch SportsCenter last night, but a friend of mine noted that after the World Series game 3 last night, ESPN spent around 6 minutes covering the game, and around 15 minutes covering pre-season NBA basketball.

So MLB's premier event is regarded less than exhibition basketball games.

But according to some folks, everything is fine and we shouldn't worry about it.

10/25/2014 9:19 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
10/25/2014 11:04 AM
The NBA had 9 preseason games yesterday, so they spent roughly 1:40 per NBA game.  And 6 minutes per baseball game.  What do you want?
10/25/2014 12:21 PM
If you don't think the centerpiece game for MLB should get more time than the entire NBA pre-season, you're not going to be convinced that baseball has an interest problem.

That said, ESPN is not carrying the WS and they do a shitton on NBA stuff so maybe that's not the best barometer.
10/25/2014 1:06 PM
I'm in my 20s and I think baseball is a beautiful, noble game.  There is no other sport so perfect.  And if soccer is the worst thing we have to worry about, we' be just fine.  No real American likes soccer.  It's just shoved down our throat by the LAME stream media.
10/25/2014 3:47 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/25/2014 1:06:00 PM (view original):
If you don't think the centerpiece game for MLB should get more time than the entire NBA pre-season, you're not going to be convinced that baseball has an interest problem.

That said, ESPN is not carrying the WS and they do a shitton on NBA stuff so maybe that's not the best barometer.
SportsCenter is basically a news show.  They do more features than your local news, but frankly in many ways are quite comparable to the sports version of a national news broadcast on a major network.  Viewers expect everything significant to be covered, and NBA preseason games are significant.  They deserve to be mentioned, and some highlights shown.  You get more features for playoff baseball, but there's no way on a news show that 1 game should trump 9 in terms of total coverage time.
10/25/2014 5:30 PM
Pre-season games have virtually no significance.   If you think they are somewhat on par with the games that decide a league champion, you're not going to be convinced that baseball has a lack of interest problem.
10/25/2014 5:49 PM
I'm not going to be convinced of that because it isn't true...  MLB attendance is ~75% higher than NBA attendance.  Spring Training games get covered on ESPN, too.  And baseball gets less per-game coverage but more total than the NBA finals when the 2 overlap.  What you're describing is not an inherent preference within SportsCenter for one sport over the other.  It goes both ways.

Your problem here is with the way SportsCenter is structured and what they cover, nothing to do with a "lack of interest problem."  This statement:

"If you think they are somewhat on par with the games that decide a league champion, you're not going to be convinced that baseball has a lack of interest problem"

is a logical fallacy.  In this case, your problem is not with SportsCenter's relative valuation of sports, but relative valuation of preseason and postseason games.  You should be telling me that postseasons have a lack of interest problem.  Except then you'd be too painfully aware of what an utter moron you sound like.
10/25/2014 6:55 PM
So you're telling me what I should be telling you and then saying "If you told me that, you'd be a moron"? 

Who's the moron?

Baseball has a lack of interest problem.  Post #1 in this thread.
"That said, ESPN is not carrying the WS and they do a shitton on NBA stuff so maybe that's not the best barometer" post today saying, in essence, "SportsCenter coverage might not be the best way to judge baseball's lack of interest problem."

Are you incapable of following along?   Do I need to use smaller words?  
10/25/2014 6:59 PM
OK, the lack of interest in baseball wasn't post #1.   I forgot why this thread was started.   But the lack of interest problem is somewhere in this thread and that's why the title changed.
10/25/2014 7:02 PM
◂ Prev 1...13|14|15|16 Next ▸
"Baseball is fine. Don't worry about it" Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.