"Baseball is fine. Don't worry about it" Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 8/1/2014 10:35:00 AM (view original):
IMO, one of the "problems" with baseball is that they're like the grumpy old man yelling "GIT OFFA MY LAWN!!!"    Baseball, and it's core fanbase, does not like change.   "It's always been that way and we like it like that!!!!"    Baseball needs to get with the program or we're all going to be watching soccer(for the passive people) or MMA(for the aggressive people) instead of baseball because it will be hidden on some bullshit channel like hockey.

I consider myself a baseball fan first but it's much easier for me to watch 3 hours of MMA than a game between the Twins and the White Sox.
MLB has the 2nd highest revenue for major sports leagues in the USA (only behind the NFL) at the moment.  I don't think it needs to change as much as you think it does.
8/2/2014 12:31 PM
The HOF, as it is, is fine. If you limit it to 75 players, then it creates multiple issues: How do you decide who was "better" between players from the 20s, 50s and 2000s? And what if you only end up with 1 player from the 60s or no players from the 1800s? Baseball still has the most exclusive HOF of all the major sports, in terms of percentage of overall players who are in the Hall. I've been to the Hall 4 times and never have I felt like I had to stop and read every plaque - I look for players I know and read their blurb, and maybe a few others that catch my eye. People can breeze through in an hour or spend 8 hours there if they want. That's the beauty (and intent) of it, IMO.

As far as making everything digital - the digital displays can be fun, but if you structure the whole HOF that way, it prevents people from going at their own pace. If there's a video clip you want to watch, you have to wait for it to restart after the people ahead of you are done viewing it, etc.

I really don't see why people feel the need to fix something that's not broken. Hall of Fames in any sport are for the best - and unless you only include like 10 players, there's always going to be a gap between the best in the HOF and the worst in the HOF. And no matter where you draw the line, there will always be a very slim margin between the worst HOFer and the best non-HOFer. That's not a flaw with the HOF - that's just how it is, regardless of how many you put in.
8/2/2014 2:16 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 8/2/2014 12:31:00 PM (view original):
IMO, one of the "problems" with baseball is that they're like the grumpy old man yelling "GIT OFFA MY LAWN!!!"    Baseball, and it's core fanbase, does not like change.   "It's always been that way and we like it like that!!!!"    Baseball needs to get with the program or we're all going to be watching soccer(for the passive people) or MMA(for the aggressive people) instead of baseball because it will be hidden on some bullshit channel like hockey.

I consider myself a baseball fan first but it's much easier for me to watch 3 hours of MMA than a game between the Twins and the White Sox.
MLB has the 2nd highest revenue for major sports leagues in the USA (only behind the NFL) at the moment.  I don't think it needs to change as much as you think it does.
"At the moment" is the key phrase.   If you don't think other sports are catching/passing baseball in popularity, I'm not sure what I can say to convince you.
8/2/2014 2:22 PM
I don't think other sports are going to catch up to baseball. The NBA and NHL are extremely far behind and growing at a slower rate than MLB. What else is there, MLS?
8/2/2014 3:41 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/2/2014 2:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 8/2/2014 12:31:00 PM (view original):

"At the moment" is the key phrase.   If you don't think other sports are catching/passing baseball in popularity, I'm not sure what I can say to convince you.
Which sports?  The NBA and NHL revenues aren't anywhere close to MLB and their growth patterns don't indicate they will catch MLB in the foreseeable future.  The UFC's revenue is less than 10% of MLB right now.  
8/2/2014 4:01 PM
I'm not sure "revenue" is the only way to look at it.  

Let's take the "Game of the Week".    On right now.  On Fox Sports One.   Know what's on Fox(where it used to be shown)?   Manchester United vs. Real Madrid(that's soccer if you don't know).     Why do you think that is?
8/2/2014 4:10 PM
Again, that's the problem with baseball and the vast majority of it's fanbase.  

"Everything's fine.   We're up in revenue and have the highest attendance figures of any sport.  We're good."
8/2/2014 4:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/2/2014 4:10:00 PM (view original):
I'm not sure "revenue" is the only way to look at it.  

Let's take the "Game of the Week".    On right now.  On Fox Sports One.   Know what's on Fox(where it used to be shown)?   Manchester United vs. Real Madrid(that's soccer if you don't know).     Why do you think that is?
On Fox Sports 1 right now on my TV is MLB (Red Sox vs Yankees).
8/2/2014 4:16 PM
Yes.  What's on FOX?
8/2/2014 4:21 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/2/2014 4:12:00 PM (view original):
Again, that's the problem with baseball and the vast majority of it's fanbase.  

"Everything's fine.   We're up in revenue and have the highest attendance figures of any sport.  We're good."
You can nitpick and say there are "problems" with all the major sports.  The bottom line is that they are all revenue driven.
8/2/2014 4:22 PM
What is on FOX, the network channel that's in every home in the US?
8/2/2014 4:23 PM

I'll answer for you.  English soccer.  Why?

8/2/2014 4:25 PM
I don't think baseball is going the way of boxing/horse racing but it's not "fine".   Dancing with the Stars outdraws game 7 of the WS.  
8/2/2014 4:30 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
LOL
8/2/2014 5:42 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...16 Next ▸
"Baseball is fine. Don't worry about it" Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.