The 100 Worst Baseball Players of All Time Topic

It is a very entertaining list with a few good bits of info for WIS-ites:

http://deadspin.com/5820716/the-100-worst-baseball-players-of-all-time-a-celebration-part-1

8/10/2014 11:58 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Dal Maxvill couldn't hit but was a great fielder. I am not sure he belongs here. I am glad to see Steve Balboni, a sure sign during his Yankees years that my team was going nowhere. 
8/10/2014 12:27 PM
Ah yes, Johnnie LeMaster - the only player to play for three teams with 100 or more losses in the same season.
8/10/2014 2:41 PM
And Mike Kekich was a bane to my childhood. Every fourth day to see him pitching for the Yankees, knowing four runs (a lot in those days) would be chalked up on the other team's side and that our Yankees hit like little leaguers. 

I love the story about the guy with infinite ERA. Anything divided by zero is infinite and baseball counts in one-thirds of innings. No third, (no outs by a pitcher) and your denominator is zero, so your ERA is infinite. 
8/10/2014 4:59 PM
Posted by bronxcheer on 8/10/2014 12:10:00 PM (view original):
didn't read but Bruce Boisclair is a must
It was in his contract that he was not allowed to play basketball,  and what does he do???
8/10/2014 6:05 PM
sounds like the seeds for an awesome theme league!
8/11/2014 10:06 AM
Great idea hersheybear ! 

Maybe 20 teams, each has to pick 5 of these guys first and after can pick from some selection of normal players (we have to think how to determine the composition of the latter).
8/11/2014 12:08 PM
We'd have to check how many are in the WIS db first, but perhaps  take (or get randomly assigned) an unlucky 13 (Make Lemonade from Lemons League)? And fill in the rest with teammates with a relatively low cap ($80m) and/or salary cap limit (e.g., $7m) to ensure an appropriate level of bloopers?

8/11/2014 12:22 PM
You could be assigned 2-4 of the players randomly and have to use some version of the players assigned, and fill out your team with any teammate of theirs twisted to any season.  If you get a player not in the database, select a $200K scrub from that season.  Or, instead of selecting a scrub from that season, pick any scrub and swap him out for a AAA below-average player of the same position - the only use of AAA, a la the Random Pages league.
8/11/2014 1:24 PM
Merkle doesn't belong on the list...long major league career, and his "boner" was common practice at the time. Career OPS+ of 109. Interesting idea for a theme league though, I thnk one could put together a decent team.
8/11/2014 6:59 PM
you could take 1 guy from the hundred and twist one of his teams.  Would have to have a min ab or ip rule for the stinker
8/12/2014 10:51 AM
I want to run a franchise theme league where you draft the worst players from each franchise.  I compiled all 30 teams if anybody's interested in taking a look!
8/12/2014 1:35 PM
Posted by mlent on 8/12/2014 10:51:00 AM (view original):
you could take 1 guy from the hundred and twist one of his teams.  Would have to have a min ab or ip rule for the stinker
Or a clone league where you have to have at least 4 iterations of the guy and total 2000 ABs.  That way, they can suck at their regular position AND suck even worse at their secondary positions
8/12/2014 1:43 PM
Got_Worms that does sound fun. I will take a look. 
8/12/2014 5:20 PM
12 Next ▸
The 100 Worst Baseball Players of All Time Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.