tandem rotation question Topic

Can anyone tell me how the tandem would work in this situation:

Starter 1: Pitcher A

Starter 2: Pitcher B

Starter 3: Pitcher C:

Tandem 4A: Pitcher D

Tandem 4B: Pitcher E.

I am hoping it works that the first three starters will take their normal rotational turns and then every 4th game, my tandems will come in and split the 4th game (so that Pitcher D will start 4th game until he reaches pitch count and then Tandem 4B will come in to the 4th game until he reaches pitch count). Then Starter 1 starts the 5th game, etc., Is that right?

TIA
8/12/2014 10:58 PM
Yes, you are correct

This question, and many others, are answered in the "Celebrating the Best of the SLB Forum" thread that is pinned at the top of the page.
8/12/2014 11:11 PM
I love using tandems.  I wonder if someday we will see MLB teams go to rotations that feature tandems.  I could see the 4th and 5th starter slots being tandems eventually. It's less wear on a pitcher's arm.  It's cost effective. It may give the bullpen a rest if the tandems can pitch the full 9 innings. And it may create better quality starts.  A tandem pitcher can throw harder for a shorter duration much like a reliever can so he can essentially be a more effective pitcher for not having to pace himself and just letting it air out so to speak.  A lefty/righty tandem could wreak havoc on the opposing manager's lineup strategy too. 
8/13/2014 10:10 AM
Posted by cwillis802 on 8/13/2014 10:10:00 AM (view original):
I love using tandems.  I wonder if someday we will see MLB teams go to rotations that feature tandems.  I could see the 4th and 5th starter slots being tandems eventually. It's less wear on a pitcher's arm.  It's cost effective. It may give the bullpen a rest if the tandems can pitch the full 9 innings. And it may create better quality starts.  A tandem pitcher can throw harder for a shorter duration much like a reliever can so he can essentially be a more effective pitcher for not having to pace himself and just letting it air out so to speak.  A lefty/righty tandem could wreak havoc on the opposing manager's lineup strategy too. 
I agree cwillis, It always catches me offguard to field a mostly lefty lineup against a righty, only to find out that after 40 or more pitches they now have to face a lefty. I recently played in an all lefty league run by ligapelota were you could really see the dominate effect of lefty vs lefty matchups.  If this were prevalent in MLB, there would be a demand to declare the second end of any tandem to appease the betting public, as is done with injuries in football. Because there are so many righthanded HR hitters,your upcomming 'slugfest'' league should present some interesting challenges with tandems as well, especially as it pertains to intentional walks.
8/14/2014 9:49 AM
Good points Crimson.  I'm curuous to see if this league will truly be a HR hitting league or not.  I'm planning to make this a continuing league if we all seem to like it and keep upping the HR/9 numbers each season.  Next season for instance rather than have it at .50 or greater for HR/9, move it up to say .55 or .60 or greater. I'll need to contact Sim customer support seeing I didn't set it up as a multi season league. I enjoy keeping the league stas. 
8/14/2014 2:23 PM
If Ligapelota runs that all lefty league again, let me know. I do think that would be an interesting experiment.
8/14/2014 2:24 PM
tandem rotation question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.