Attn MikeT23 Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 8/13/2014 1:01:00 PM (view original):
I assume you're making fun of BL.    Because, I've been vindicated by Baseball Reference and I'll take their word on baseball matters over Wiki's all day. 
Great....Edgar Martinez is now happy that you consider him worthy of the HOF, because BR indicates that he has the numbers...
8/14/2014 10:12 AM
I'll add that the reason people are so pissy about PED is because of "history".     Bonds hit more homers than Aaron who hit more homers than Ruth.     Does that change anyone's life except for those three and the people around them?    Of course not.    But people ***** that Bonds was 'roiding while others ***** that Aaron was eating greenies like candy.    It's because people care about the "history" of baseball and it's records. 
8/14/2014 10:12 AM
Posted by seamar_116 on 8/14/2014 10:12:00 AM (view original):
I assume you're making fun of BL.    Because, I've been vindicated by Baseball Reference and I'll take their word on baseball matters over Wiki's all day. 
Great....Edgar Martinez is now happy that you consider him worthy of the HOF, because BR indicates that he has the numbers...
Sure.  If the HOF was all about numbers.  But, hey, guess what?   It isn't.

Shoot me a sitemail when EM gets a plaque.   I'll be waiting.
8/14/2014 10:14 AM
I have no idea who Bill Bevens is.  You telling me his name doesn't force me to learn about him.  If you posted a biography here, I don't have to read it if I don't care to.  If you go to the HOF and see a bust and biography of Phil Rizzuto, and you don't want to read it, you don't have to.  I imagine most people don't get to everything in the HOF, but it doesn't mean they're thinking "there's too much **** here, **** baseball, I'm overwhelmed."  You go to the HOF because you like baseball history.  But you don't have to read/look at everything.  You said yourself that baseball is all about history, in reference to something as stupid as whether or not the Baltimore franchise in 1902 is the same as the current Yankee franchise, so it doesn't make sense to hide the fact that there were many great baseball players in the first half of the 20th century.
8/14/2014 10:14 AM
Bill Bevens was one out from a no-hitter in the 1947 WS for NY (vs. Brooklyn). Cookie Lavagetto doubled with two runners on base to win the game for Brooklyn.
8/14/2014 10:17 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/14/2014 10:14:00 AM (view original):

But BR, says he has the numbers and by your own admission, you take BR word on baseball matters.
8/14/2014 10:18 AM
Posted by seamar_116 on 8/14/2014 10:17:00 AM (view original):
Bill Bevens was one out from a no-hitter in the 1947 WS for NY (vs. Brooklyn). Cookie Lavagetto doubled with two runners on base to win the game for Brooklyn.
Stop overwhelming me with history.
8/14/2014 10:19 AM
Posted by seamar_116 on 8/14/2014 10:18:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/14/2014 10:14:00 AM (view original):

But BR, says he has the numbers and by your own admission, you take BR word on baseball matters.
But, as I said, the HOF isn't all about numbers.  If it were, there would be no voters.

What part of this is too difficult for you to comprehend?

As I said, when EM gets a plaque, shoot me a sitemail.
8/14/2014 10:27 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 8/14/2014 10:14:00 AM (view original):
I have no idea who Bill Bevens is.  You telling me his name doesn't force me to learn about him.  If you posted a biography here, I don't have to read it if I don't care to.  If you go to the HOF and see a bust and biography of Phil Rizzuto, and you don't want to read it, you don't have to.  I imagine most people don't get to everything in the HOF, but it doesn't mean they're thinking "there's too much **** here, **** baseball, I'm overwhelmed."  You go to the HOF because you like baseball history.  But you don't have to read/look at everything.  You said yourself that baseball is all about history, in reference to something as stupid as whether or not the Baltimore franchise in 1902 is the same as the current Yankee franchise, so it doesn't make sense to hide the fact that there were many great baseball players in the first half of the 20th century.
Again, being elected to the HOF should mean something besides "I showed up." 

I don't know about you but, when I visit a museum, I want to look at everything.   After all, that's why I visited it.  Like it or not, people look at Rizzuto's monument to find out why he's immortalized.   And, I imagine, when they're done, they say "WTF?"    Why give people "WTF?" moments in baseball's museum to history?

But you're too dumb to understand this.  I've got other things to do today.   Have a good day.
8/14/2014 10:30 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/14/2014 10:30:00 AM (view original):

I don't know about you but, when I visit a museum, I want to look at everything.   After all, that's why I visited it.  Like it or not, people look at Rizzuto's monument to find out why he's immortalized.   And, I imagine, when they're done, they say "WTF?"    Why give people "WTF?" moments in baseball's museum to history?

But you're too dumb to understand this.  I've got other things to do today.   Have a good day.
8/14/2014 11:09 AM

LOL YOURE DUMB IM LEAVING is a good way to finish an argument.

Reading Phil Rizzutos plaque at the HOF will not make anyone like baseball less. I don't think it will overwhelm anyone. Maybe you.
8/14/2014 11:29 AM
Mike's argument:

Guy A is a big baseball fan. So big that he travels from St. Louis to Cooperstown to visit the Hall of Fame. He's walking around the museum when he gets to the plaque for Catfish Hunter. Halfway through the third sentence on the plaque, Guy A drops his coffee in shock. He lifts his camera over his head and brings it down on the plaque with the force of a thousand suns. Tears stream down his face as he shouts, "that's it. That's it. I quit. I quit you baseball. Too many players are in this museum I just traveled 1000 miles to see. Soccer is my new love. I heard they showed a soccer match on Fox instead of the Yankee game last Saturday."

Guy B lives in Los Angeles. He is not much of a baseball fan. He checks in once and a while during the playoffs and goes to a game with friends about once a year. He wouldn't be able to name the shortstop for the Yankees. He gets a marketing email from MLB because his cable company shared his email address, despite him unchecking the permission box when he ordered HBO last month. For whatever reason, the email doesn't get routed into spam like it normally does and he opens it.

The email explains to Guy B that MLB has embarked on a new mission designed to attract people like him, people with only the slightest passing interest in baseball. How is MLB going to accomplish this? They have undertaken a revolutionary revamping of the Hall of Fame. No longer will you find marginally famous baseball players who produced enough on the field to be considered among the best of all time. Instead, the new Hall of Fame will consist of a handful of players you may or may not have heard of. These players played baseball mostly in cities like New York and Boston. Where they the best players? Probably not. But they're famous, at least famous to people who already love baseball. Maybe not to Guy B but, you know, details shmeetails.

Guy B decides on the spot that, because of the changes to the Hall of Fame outlined in the marketing email, he is now a baseball fan. He buys a Derek Jeter jersey online and waits everyday outside his house until it is delivered. He subscribes to the Extra Innings package, quits his job, and watches every single game. Baseball is saved.
8/14/2014 12:26 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 8/14/2014 11:29:00 AM (view original):

LOL YOURE DUMB IM LEAVING is a good way to finish an argument.

Reading Phil Rizzutos plaque at the HOF will not make anyone like baseball less. I don't think it will overwhelm anyone. Maybe you.
Just don't feel like arguing HOF **** today.   I mean, ****, isn't there anything else going on in baseball besides the HOF?

You're dumb because you're just trying to stir the pot on HOF **** for the 72nd consecutive day.  

Wanna argue college football?   Michael Vick?   Looting?    Israel?   Executive orders?   Pick something, anything besides "Edgar Martinez should be in the HOF and it should include 100 players from every year in baseball history.   Let the people learn about the best 100 players in 1957!!!!!!!!"
8/14/2014 1:02 PM
I haven't been arguing about the HOF for 72 straight days.  I just brought it up because I found humor when you said "baseball is all about history" in reference to the 1902 Baltimore Yankees, when you've been arguing that the HOF, the ultimate baseball museum, currently has too much baseball history.
8/14/2014 1:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/14/2014 10:06:00 AM (view original):
Two semi-unrelated topics.   Baseball is all about history.   There's "important" history and the other stuff.    Honestly, the origins of the Yankees falls into the "other stuff".   But, like I'm interested in the career of Bill Bevens, I'm interested in the origins of the Yankees.    There's some dude in KC saying "Who gives a ****?"   And he's right.   He doesn't have to give a **** just because I do.

Being elected to the HOF isn't the same as being part of history(ask Bill Bevens).    Being in the HOF should mean something.  The people who visit it should see the "important" history/players and not get bogged down with a monument to Kenny Lofton.
This.

I suppose I could quote a post for any HOF-related topic.   Because it's been said, over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over again, many times.
8/14/2014 1:17 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...7 Next ▸
Attn MikeT23 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.