Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

It's funny that some of the same people who are OUTRAGED by the AUDACITY of a policeman asking you to produce identification also think it's perfectly OK for the government to REQUIRE you to purchase healthcare insurance, whether you want it or not.
8/29/2014 5:07 PM
Perhaps.  But, as you so eloquently put it, I want the cops to know what the shitfuckton of crazy anti government rednecks are doing.   Especially if they refuse to show an identification.   The people who act like they're hiding something are the exact ones I want to be protected from. 
8/29/2014 5:07 PM
Do you know why I refused to allow the cops to search my car and residence?  Because I knew what they were looking for and I had it.   I didn't do it because "I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!!!"
8/29/2014 5:11 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/29/2014 5:07:00 PM (view original):
It's funny that some of the same people who are OUTRAGED by the AUDACITY of a policeman asking you to produce identification also think it's perfectly OK for the government to REQUIRE you to purchase healthcare insurance, whether you want it or not.
No one is outraged by a cop asking for ID. They are outraged by that cop using a taser on the person for legally refusing the request.
8/29/2014 5:19 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by bad_luck on 8/29/2014 5:19:00 PM (view original):
No one is outraged by a cop asking for ID. They are outraged by that cop using a taser on the person for legally refusing the request.
Maybe outrage is too strong.  But you certainly seem that it's an egregious enough request that you'll refuse to comply.

What do you tell a co-worker who asks "what time is it?"  Do you tell them "sorry, I don't have to tell you"?
8/29/2014 6:04 PM
Posted by The Taint on 8/29/2014 6:14:00 PM (view original):
What do you think a biker would tell a cop who told him to put on a helmet in a state that didn't require helmets?
"You bet. Thanks for the tip officer."

Unless I was black... In which case I'd probably call him a racist pig.

8/29/2014 6:21 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/29/2014 6:04:00 PM (view original):
Maybe outrage is too strong.  But you certainly seem that it's an egregious enough request that you'll refuse to comply.

What do you tell a co-worker who asks "what time is it?"  Do you tell them "sorry, I don't have to tell you"?
The only thing that was egregious/outrageous/wrong about this situation was the tasing and the arrest. The request was fine. The legal refusal was fine. Should have ended there.
8/29/2014 6:34 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/29/2014 6:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 8/29/2014 6:04:00 PM (view original):

The only thing that was egregious/outrageous/wrong about this situation was the tasing and the arrest. The request was fine. The legal refusal was fine. Should have ended there.
"some states have "stop and identify" laws, but the officer is still required to have a reasonable suspicion before demanding it. The problem is the officer is not required to advise you what his suspicion is at the time of the stop, so you may not know if the detention if valid. The test is to ask the officer if you are free to leave. If he says no, then you should produce ID. If you feel the stop is illegal, it is unlikely you will win the argument in the street. Show your ID and challenge it at a later time."

^^this

If I've learned one thing re: business politics its this... 'Being right at the wrong time means you're wrong'. There is a time and place for a stand like this. This guy chose poorly.
8/29/2014 6:47 PM
MN is not "some states."

Stop being so retarded, no one buys your "I'm a big shot" act.
8/29/2014 6:51 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/29/2014 6:51:00 PM (view original):
MN is not "some states."

Stop being so retarded, no one buys your "I'm a big shot" act.
Oh no.... You said retarded!!! How insensitive.
8/29/2014 6:54 PM
"As of 2013, 24 states had stop-and-identify laws. Regardless of your state’s law, keep in mind that police can never compel you to identify yourself without reasonable suspicion to believe you’re involved in illegal activity.

But how can you tell if an officer asking you to identify yourself has reasonable suspicion? Remember, police need reasonable suspicion to detain you. So one way to tell if they have reasonable suspicion is to determine if you’re free to go. You can do this by saying “Excuse me officer. Are you detaining me, or am I free to go?” If the officer says you’re free to go, leave immediately and don’t answer any more questions.

If you’re detained, you’ll have to decide if withholding your identity is worth the possibility of arrest or a prolonged detention. In cases of mistaken identity, revealing who you are might help to resolve the situation quickly. On the other hand, if you’re on parole in California, for example, revealing your identity could lead to a legal search. Knowing your state’s laws can help you make the best choice.

Remember that the officer’s decision to detain you will not always hold up in court. Reasonable suspicion is a vague legal standard, and police often make mistakes. So if you’re searched or arrested following an officer’s ID request, you may contact an attorney to discuss the incident and explore your legal options."

So basically the cops have the right to bring this guy to the station for declining to show his ID, in Minnesota. The courts can sort it out... Correct?
8/29/2014 7:08 PM
For the 478th time Minnesota is not a stop and identify state.
8/29/2014 7:17 PM
◂ Prev 1...28|29|30|31|32...142 Next ▸
Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.