Position Key Attributes Series: Quarterback Topic

Both of my qb's have solid secondary attributes.  Maybe 1 out of 100 plays my qb will scramble for a 1st down.  and thats with good secondary attributes. I judge my qb's on completion % and the ability to stay away from interceptions.  Not sack avoidance. GI is not my most important attribute but as long as its solid and your line is solid then sacks will be relatively low.  Once again reducing the need for speed, ath,  and elusiveness.   By all means though gobble up all the vicks and rg3's you want to.  Personally I favor the brady's and mannings(peyton-not eli) types.

To give you credit however, if the "full package" came my way  "steve young type"  then heck yeah I'm taking the secondary attributes but not at the expense of (at least very minimum) High tech and GI.  Which brings me right back to the thinking that secondary attributes are not important and are a non factor for me.
8/28/2014 7:14 AM
There ya go , thats what i was looking for (To give you credit however, if the "full package" came my way  "steve young type"  then heck yeah I'm taking the secondary attributes) and yes of coarse primary attributes will always be more important, but my point was secondary attributes are not completley useless.
8/29/2014 10:59 AM
What do you think would happen if your at D-1 and you draft a QB with 80 GI 80 Tech and 80 Strenth but has 1 speed and 1 athl and 1 elusive? im gonna go out on a limb here and say he would be sacked 70 or 80 times a season and wouldnt be nearly as effective.
8/29/2014 11:11 AM
Posted by docfunk on 8/29/2014 11:12:00 AM (view original):
What do you think would happen if your at D-1 and you draft a QB with 80 GI 80 Tech and 80 Strenth but has 1 speed and 1 athl and 1 elusive? im gonna go out on a limb here and say he would be sacked 70 or 80 times a season and wouldnt be nearly as effective.
For the record, "1" just means he would be on the extreme end of the range of speeds. Don't know what they are, but lets just say a 6 second 40 verses a 4 second 40. Not saying you didn't know that, just want to put it out there as part of the equation when I say I'd take that kid.

8/30/2014 8:50 PM
I would also take that kid too.
8/31/2014 10:20 AM
He's also going to have a much higher number of passes under pressure which will lower his overall performance in every MEASURABLE way.  Trying to isolate the factors which contribute to success or failure isn't easy.  Additionally, the number of sacks is going to also be based on how long he's expected to stay in the pocket.  Are you throwing a high number of long routes?  Expect sack numbers to increase.

With the QB position, you need to be willing to adjust your system based on what your QB does well -- and what he doesn't do well.  And to keep it on track, that 1 ATH is much more significant than the 1 SPD or 1 ELU.
9/1/2014 7:42 AM
Posted by ddingo on 9/1/2014 7:42:00 AM (view original):
He's also going to have a much higher number of passes under pressure which will lower his overall performance in every MEASURABLE way.  Trying to isolate the factors which contribute to success or failure isn't easy.  Additionally, the number of sacks is going to also be based on how long he's expected to stay in the pocket.  Are you throwing a high number of long routes?  Expect sack numbers to increase.

With the QB position, you need to be willing to adjust your system based on what your QB does well -- and what he doesn't do well.  And to keep it on track, that 1 ATH is much more significant than the 1 SPD or 1 ELU.
+1
9/1/2014 4:01 PM
Posted by ddingo on 9/1/2014 7:42:00 AM (view original):

I recruited this guy at UCLA this past season and he was the number one QB in the country. He was also the number one ranked player in the country. With MY ratings he would have had a rating of 93.5. If you dropped his Ath, Spd, Elu to all ones, his rating would have dropped down to a 67.3 and that may be good enough to play D2. Just a little hint on the QB core ratings is ATH,SPD,STA,STR,GI,ELU,TEC with the STR,GI,TEC being double what the other four are worth.

http://wisjournal.com/gd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?pid=8991792

9/1/2014 5:49 PM
Unless something has changed within the anotomy of the play in 3.0 then I was under the impression that on a play "abc" takes effect before "xyz". If your  gI is high and the defense is far superior than your offense typically the qb will "throw it away"  before  the 2nd part of the play "xyz" kick in.  When All targets are covered with lower qb gi then "xyz" check down and either a sack or scramble ensues.

What do we know for sure.  Sacks unlike RB "stuffs" are NOT built into the game. A sack must truly be earned with the paradigm of given attributes on each and every play. So if abc is the algorithm for how the qb reads the rec targets than xyz is the 2nd algorithm that kicks in if the qb sees  no targets and does not force the pass or throw it away.  

I can tell you with great certainty that xyz do NOT play much of a factor most of the time if your offense is better than the defense.  And the way I see it is if your offense WASN'T better then the defense than the engine will find many other reasons why your offense will lag to go along with the few sacks you take.

The opposite is true with sacks on the huge mismatches.  If an offense is completely outmatched and passes 50 times in a game and although by all accounts there should be 50 sacks "because the attributes dictate this"  THERE WON'T BE 50 SACKS!!!  There seems to be some sort of built in percentage max. 

So if there is a built in % for a huge defensive advantage then there must also be for more evenly matched attribute but nonetheless must be factored in.

9/2/2014 6:37 AM
◂ Prev 12
Position Key Attributes Series: Quarterback Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.