Weekly Top 10 Review Topic

So, here's a question.  Obviously FSU won, so it's moot, but in the playoff/selection committee era, did the result of the FSU/Clemson game even really matter for FSU's once Winston was suspended for the entire game?  It would seem to me like taking a loss with your starting quarterback on the sidelines is exactly the kind of "other factor" the committee would take into consideration, assuming he was going to be available for the playoff.

Obviously in this case, a loss could have eventually kept them out of the ACC title game, but it's not like it's setting up for them to see an opponent of real consequence there anyhow.
9/22/2014 10:14 AM
The result probably wouldn't have mattered if Clemson hadn't coughed the ball up with a little over a minute left deep in FSU territory.   FSU had played well enough without their best player.   Had they lost 52-17, I think it would have.

That exact scenario is why I've been arguing about "conference champs only" mindset.     Assuming FSU lost 20-17 and Clemson won the ACC, I'd still think a FSU led by Winston is better than Clemson. 
9/22/2014 10:34 AM
Of course, if that happened and ACC champ Clemson was passed over for FSU, Dabo's head would explode and SC would attempt to secede from the union again.
9/22/2014 10:41 AM
Texas A&M would have the same issues with young players. Didn't effect them. I doubt either team is relying on a significant number of 18 or 19 year olds compared to other contending teams.

College football teams win about 2/3rds of their home games, so it's a significant advantage. Elite schools like Oklahoma (5 home losses in 15 years) or Alabama (3 home losses in Saban era) take care of business. A team that gets thrashed at home, is unlikely to go undefeated on the rest of their schedule as it is.
9/22/2014 7:04 PM
I've already said it's unlikely that SC makes the SEC championship game.    They didn't play very well against Vanderbilt.    But, if they do, I'm not shitcanning them because they lost a home game in August.    If they're one of the best teams at the beginning of December, they're one of the best teams at the beginning of December.

FYI, SC had the longest active home win streak(18) when that game began.   The announcers must have said it 20 times.
9/22/2014 9:28 PM
Yeah but if they make the SEC championship and then lose, they will be coming off a loss to a team presumably in the playoffs, plus got crushed at home for two losses.  They won't make the playoffs under that circumstance unless the next best options all have 3 losses.  

South Carolina will not be in the 4 team playoff unless they win the SEC.
9/23/2014 1:20 PM
I still disagree at the point in the season.    Assuming, of course, that the committee is taking the best 4 teams.   I obviously look at the "best 4" far different than you.  As I said, I'd have no problem with some Vegas wiseguys setting odds on winning the Natty on a neutral field and taking those 4 teams.    I think it would be far different than 4 conference champs(which is what I think we get in Year 1).
9/23/2014 1:47 PM
SC loses a close one to Clemson(blocked FG in a 2 pt game goes back for a TD) and meets TAMU(who rolled thru their schedule) in the SEC Championship.    SC beats them by a slight margin but the outcome was never in doubt.     Is TAMU left out?  The rolled thru some very good teams along the way. 
9/23/2014 3:14 PM
Yea, it's 4 weeks into the season, let's discuss extreme hypotheticals...
9/23/2014 4:27 PM
Why not?  Is Cam Newton's wardrobe more interesting?

I've already explained why I won't dismiss a team for a loss in August.    Something you did. 
9/23/2014 4:52 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/23/2014 4:52:00 PM (view original):

I've already explained why I won't dismiss a team for a loss in August.    Something you did. 
and yet you have dismissed the entire big ten, some of which haven't actually lost a game.

You just aren't consistent in your ramblings.

9/23/2014 5:11 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/23/2014 1:47:00 PM (view original):
I still disagree at the point in the season.    Assuming, of course, that the committee is taking the best 4 teams.   I obviously look at the "best 4" far different than you.  As I said, I'd have no problem with some Vegas wiseguys setting odds on winning the Natty on a neutral field and taking those 4 teams.    I think it would be far different than 4 conference champs(which is what I think we get in Year 1).
The committee defined what the best 4 teams are, you just refuse to actually read, acknowledge, and comprehend what the standards are.  That is a you problem.
9/23/2014 5:12 PM
Uh, no, they haven't.   It's very ******* vague and, if you don't think so, you're a moron.    They were given "guidelines" to "consider".
9/23/2014 5:34 PM
Posted by moranis on 9/23/2014 5:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/23/2014 4:52:00 PM (view original):

and yet you have dismissed the entire big ten, some of which haven't actually lost a game.

You just aren't consistent in your ramblings.

I've explained EXACTLY why I've dismissed the Big 10.    Did you miss that day?
9/23/2014 5:35 PM
LOL.  Dantonio lobbying already.   "Conference champs only" says he. 
9/24/2014 4:20 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12...53 Next ▸
Weekly Top 10 Review Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.