differences between D2 and D3 Topic

Besides having better players, and recruiting are their other major differences between D2/D3

I don't think I'm ready yet to move up as I have not  achieved success yet with my recruited players(only sophmores/freshmen), but just wanted to get an idea of what to expect
9/1/2014 8:48 PM
3X the recruiting budget.  Don't be afraid to spend a lot more on scouting
9/1/2014 9:39 PM
Posted by clouseb on 9/1/2014 9:39:00 PM (view original):
5,000/3,000 = 3?
9/1/2014 11:28 PM
I'd say the main difference is that DII tends to be more competitive.
9/1/2014 11:30 PM
are there different strategies either recruiting or gameplay?

I assume recruiting is more nationally with a bigger budget for each school and that prestige will play a bigger factor.
9/2/2014 12:03 AM
Posted by the0nlyis on 9/2/2014 12:03:00 AM (view original):

I assume recruiting is more nationally with a bigger budget for each school and that prestige will play a bigger factor.
You must unlearn what you have learned. In this game, as recruiting currently works, the larger your budget the more you can dominate your LOCAL market! There are more coaches that recruit nationally at D3 than D2, I'd wager. The same issue exists at every level: if a recruit is worth signing at all, then a local team will have an advantage in a battle over a distant team.

Prestige doesn't matter until D1; at least not a significant difference, except insofar as the higher prestige team may immediately be able to put recruiting effort into a player, while the lower prestige team has to pull down first or may not be able to recruit that same kid at all. That makes more difference than the small % bump on effort that an A+ D2 team receives on its effort over, say, a C+ team (D1 is a different animal on that point).

I would caution against spending too much budget on FSS for distant states. Your prime area is within 70 at both levels, then within 200, then within 360. Check a distance chart on HV, CV & ST costs or make one of your own during your next recruiting cycle. It's eye-opening.
9/2/2014 12:55 AM
Posted by car_crazy_v2 on 9/1/2014 11:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by clouseb on 9/1/2014 9:39:00 PM (view original):
5,000/3,000 = 3?
Oops, was thinking D2 to D1
9/2/2014 9:29 AM
Posted by rogelio on 9/2/2014 12:55:00 AM (view original):

You must unlearn what you have learned. In this game, as recruiting currently works, the larger your budget the more you can dominate your LOCAL market! There are more coaches that recruit nationally at D3 than D2, I'd wager. The same issue exists at every level: if a recruit is worth signing at all, then a local team will have an advantage in a battle over a distant team.

Prestige doesn't matter until D1; at least not a significant difference, except insofar as the higher prestige team may immediately be able to put recruiting effort into a player, while the lower prestige team has to pull down first or may not be able to recruit that same kid at all. That makes more difference than the small % bump on effort that an A+ D2 team receives on its effort over, say, a C+ team (D1 is a different animal on that point).

I would caution against spending too much budget on FSS for distant states. Your prime area is within 70 at both levels, then within 200, then within 360. Check a distance chart on HV, CV & ST costs or make one of your own during your next recruiting cycle. It's eye-opening.
interesting that you list within 70 as prime area A... rare to see that. any particular reason? the advantage of a 60 mile vs 80 or 190 mile opponent is pretty minimal, seems to me.
9/2/2014 10:53 AM
Well, within seventy often seems to matter for me with a specific group of players; pulldowns. Players that won't even look at me farther away I seem to be able to make effort on within that range. Perhaps it's just an illusion, but ...
9/2/2014 11:00 AM
how different is pulldowns from D1->2 compared to 2-> does it just take more scouting trips?
9/2/2014 11:42 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 9/2/2014 10:53:00 AM (view original):
Posted by rogelio on 9/2/2014 12:55:00 AM (view original):

interesting that you list within 70 as prime area A... rare to see that. any particular reason? the advantage of a 60 mile vs 80 or 190 mile opponent is pretty minimal, seems to me.
What AB said.   I will often preach that coaches should ignore listed divisions in HD.  In GD, no one ever gets pulled down and no one ever drops; what you "see" is all you get.  In HD, you need to watch for dropdowns & pulldowns by sending a coach call or phone call.  Often enough, and most often within ~70, a local higher listed division recruit will give the immediately recruitable response, rather than the backup option.   
9/2/2014 11:58 AM
Posted by the0nlyis on 9/2/2014 11:42:00 AM (view original):
how different is pulldowns from D1->2 compared to 2-> does it just take more scouting trips?
It may sound perverse, but there is no difference.  Many coaches pulldown by dropping 10 scouting trips and a schollie on a recruit in the cycle after the backup response to the coach call.  It can take quite a few more.  

Here's the thing, there are 4 "divisions" in this game:  High prestige D1; other D1; D2; & D3.   Between each of those a pulldown probably costs 10 STs.  That's right: when you get to that C- D1 school, you will still need to know how to execute a pulldown.  I'm not certain, but I suspect the 70 mile hypothesis still holds there as well.
9/2/2014 12:03 PM
Also in D2 when you can get to an A- or so, you can start getting the 150 to 199 rated recruits. It has been my experience they usually need to be under 199 miles to have a realistic chance at a reasonable expense. In D2 you must understand how to battle and WIN.
9/2/2014 12:12 PM
Posted by rogelio on 9/2/2014 12:03:00 PM (view original):
It may sound perverse, but there is no difference.  Many coaches pulldown by dropping 10 scouting trips and a schollie on a recruit in the cycle after the backup response to the coach call.  It can take quite a few more.  

Here's the thing, there are 4 "divisions" in this game:  High prestige D1; other D1; D2; & D3.   Between each of those a pulldown probably costs 10 STs.  That's right: when you get to that C- D1 school, you will still need to know how to execute a pulldown.  I'm not certain, but I suspect the 70 mile hypothesis still holds there as well.
okay thank you very much, i was lead to believe prestige mattered very much in D2 just like D1,  but I guess not.
9/2/2014 12:27 PM (edited)
Posted by rogelio on 9/2/2014 12:03:00 PM (view original):

i agree with everything you said, except the 10 SV pulldowns in d1. i could be wrong, but in my experience, you need a much greater number of scouting trips to pull players down in d1.

i see what you are saying about 70 miles... that is really a pulldown/dropdown only threshold then, which i am down with. for players already in your division, the 70 mile mark is not significant. but it can make a pretty big difference for players listed a division up, that is a good point...
9/2/2014 12:39 PM
12 Next ▸
differences between D2 and D3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.