ARod's Value on the Open Market Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 10/2/2014 9:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/2/2014 9:14:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/1/2014 6:53:00 PM (view original):
I'll add this.   I think most Yankee fans hope ARod sucks out loud in ST.   Hope he gets booed mercilessly.   And hopes he says "**** it.  I don't need this.  I'm going to see if the Yanks will buy out my contract as a discount.  And, if they do, I'm going fishing."    But, if he doesn't, we'll say "******* ARod" when he makes an out with runners on.    But, when he hits the game winning homer, we'll yell "YEAH!!!  ******* AROD!!!!!  YOU DA MAN!!!!!" because that's what fans do. 
Sucks to root for a team where you're rooting against your players.
Not really.   It's a 162 game season and one player isn't going to win/lose all of them.   Don't tell me you've never thought "****, I hope this ****** strikes out with the bases loaded again.  Then, maybe, management will realize he sucks and send him down!!!"
No, I don't think I have.

Who else have you rooted against, aside from A-Rod?

10/2/2014 9:35 AM
When I liked the NBA, there was a time I rooted for the Knicks to lose more so Isiah Thomas would be fired.  That's the only thing I can think of.

And it sucked to be a fan of that team.
10/2/2014 9:38 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/2/2014 9:35:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/2/2014 9:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/2/2014 9:14:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/1/2014 6:53:00 PM (view original):
I'll add this.   I think most Yankee fans hope ARod sucks out loud in ST.   Hope he gets booed mercilessly.   And hopes he says "**** it.  I don't need this.  I'm going to see if the Yanks will buy out my contract as a discount.  And, if they do, I'm going fishing."    But, if he doesn't, we'll say "******* ARod" when he makes an out with runners on.    But, when he hits the game winning homer, we'll yell "YEAH!!!  ******* AROD!!!!!  YOU DA MAN!!!!!" because that's what fans do. 
Sucks to root for a team where you're rooting against your players.
Not really.   It's a 162 game season and one player isn't going to win/lose all of them.   Don't tell me you've never thought "****, I hope this ****** strikes out with the bases loaded again.  Then, maybe, management will realize he sucks and send him down!!!"
No, I don't think I have.

Who else have you rooted against, aside from A-Rod?

Mussina, Big Unit and Sheffield off the top of my head.

It was tougher with the pitchers because the Yanks needed a comfortable lead in the game as well as the standings but that's three who were on my **** list.
Sheffield because he said he intentionally threw balls in the stands to get out of Milwaukee.   Can't root for a ****** like that.

Johnson because he was such a *****.   "Don't talk to me.  Don't you talk to me."   Plus, while other Yanks were getting in some more work on the back fields in ST, he was tossing wiffle balls to his young children.   Don't know why but that has stuck with me.   Seemed selfish.  It's a wiffle ball, toss it in the clubhouse while the other guys are running/stretching and what-not.  Or do it after the game is over.   Act like you're at work while everyone else IS working.

Mussina only because, every time I watched him pitch, it seemed like he was cruising along then, when I'd go grab a beer or take a ****, he'd give up 6 runs and turn a nice lead into a deficit.   I didn't so much root against him as refuse to watch him pitch.

I'm sure, if I looked at some rosters, there would be more.
10/2/2014 9:47 AM
And, just a little, Bernie Williams in the beginning.   Because I thought Roberto Kelly was going to be the next great Yankee and he was traded to make room for Bernie.    Oopsy.
10/2/2014 9:49 AM
Ed Whitson because he took the money and couldn't handle NY scrutiny.
10/2/2014 9:50 AM
Jack Clark.   The ****** seemed to strike out with runners on every ******* time during his brief stay.   "Just strike out and get it over with" came from my mouth more than a few times.
10/2/2014 9:51 AM
Wow, you're insane.
10/2/2014 10:07 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/2/2014 10:07:00 AM (view original):
Wow, you're insane.
LOL, coming from you.
10/2/2014 10:15 AM
Ugh. We're very different when it comes to this topic. I root for my guys, when they suck, I might scream and yell, but I root for them to do well.  I like winning.

I rooted against Oli Perez for a year.  He refused to go to AAA to fix himself, and the Mets kept him on the roster instead of releasing him. He came in to pitch in mop-up situations only, so they basically were carrying a 24 man roster. When he came in to pitch, the game was out of reach, and I'd root for him to get bombed so that either Oli or the Mets were forced to do something different. I'm legitimately trying to think of another situation, but even the guys who came here and blew, I rooted for while they were playing. 
10/2/2014 10:16 AM
I like winning too.   But the simple fact of the matter is that you won't go 162-0.    Sheffield, Johnson and Whitson were easy.   Truth is, the only Yankee I didn't root for when he arrived was Shef.   As I said, I can't root for a guy who admitted he intentionally played poorly to get out of a city.    Johnson made it hard early with his little sidewalk confrontation, considering I already thought he was a surly ****, and the ST thing just pushed me over the top.   I don't understand how you can play with your kids while the game is still in progress and you have teammates running sprints within 20 yards of you.     Whitson was horrible in NY and I just wanted him gone.  Plus he had a giant perm. 

Williams was a mistake.   And it wasn't long.
Mussina was less "root against" and more "refuse to watch".
Clark annoyed the **** out of me in '88(I think).   He and Winfield seemed to offer up back to back whiffs over and over again. 
10/2/2014 10:32 AM
So...Yankees fighting for a playoff spot, late season, 2005...Randy Johnson pitching...you're rooting for him to get bombed rather than win?
10/2/2014 10:51 AM
Of course not.    But, if he gets bombed, it only gives me more reason to dislike him. 
10/2/2014 11:09 AM
OK. So you're not really rooting against him. You may dislike players, but in the moment they're performing, you'd prefer they play well.
10/2/2014 11:16 AM
I did say "in ST" when referring to ARod.    And I've also said "I hope he does well.  Yanks need hitting."

If he's going to play, I'll want him to do well when needed.   In a 9-3 game, he can strike out and look foolish.    Mostly, when a game is out of hand, I'd say I either don't care if Shef sucks or hope he does suck so I can further justify my dislike.   In a close game, I want that turd to hit a homer.
10/2/2014 11:56 AM
Sheffield may have been an ******* but damn he could hit.
10/2/2014 12:15 PM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15 Next ▸
ARod's Value on the Open Market Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.