ARod's Value on the Open Market Topic

$6M is fair to "find out" for most teams. Especially if you need a 3B and could contend. Like the Brewers, Giants, or Marlins. There are guys who get signed to one year deals much more than $6M who have huge question marks. If the Marlins went into the season with Casey McGehee as their 3B, and ARod was available, shame on them. I'd argue there's a better chance of 280/360/460 than 212/298/343.
10/1/2014 9:43 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/1/2014 9:36:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/1/2014 9:27:00 AM (view original):
FWIW, if A-Rod is 212/298/343 at the AS break, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he was released. 
I would. Eating the contract based on a couple hundred PA? Yikes. If he's hitting .290/.380/.510 would you give him a contract extension?
I might cut him after that. 40 year old distraction, and he's hurting your team, with no signs of getting better? You're trying to make the playoffs, right?
10/1/2014 9:46 AM
My point with the Yankees is - if you're so sure that he can't be a productive player to the point where nobody would offer $6M, then the Yankees should move on and not deal with A-Rod nonsense all year. Of all the teams we're talking about, him being on the Yankees is the biggest distraction, by far. At the break when he's batting .212? **** that, on April 15 when he's batting .212, the lead story on every sports talk show in NY is "should they sit him? Why didn't they keep Headley? Can you trade for Solarte?" It's going to be a mess. But the Yankees will keep him, and start him, because they believe he can be productive. Which is the same reason a team would offer him $6M.
10/1/2014 9:49 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/1/2014 9:43:00 AM (view original):
$6M is fair to "find out" for most teams. Especially if you need a 3B and could contend. Like the Brewers, Giants, or Marlins. There are guys who get signed to one year deals much more than $6M who have huge question marks. If the Marlins went into the season with Casey McGehee as their 3B, and ARod was available, shame on them. I'd argue there's a better chance of 280/360/460 than 212/298/343.
If it's just "a guy", sure.   That is NOT A-Rod.   I don't know why a team would want to spend 6m to "find out" if they have other options.   Because it's A-Rod.   Why put up with the circus?   Do you think A-Rod is going to hold one presser, say "Ask all your questions now because I'm just going to concentrate on baseball after this" and not give interviews?   Do you think writers are going to gather around another locker after every game?  

And, if ARod did hold the one presser, do you not think writers won't gather around other lockers and say "What's is like playing with A-Rod?", "How do you feel about ARod?", "ARod is hitting .238, do you think ARod is going to get it going?" and so on and so on.

10/1/2014 9:55 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/1/2014 9:34:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 10/1/2014 9:24:00 AM (view original):
He's currently under contract with them for a boatload of money.  Their only two options are keep him on the roster, or release him and eat the contract.

I would have no problem with the latter.

Releasing him now would be insane.
You're looking at ARod through a very narrow viewpoint . . . what you THINK he MIGHT be able to produce.

I'm looking at the big picture.  In addition to what I believe will be a noticeably reduced skill set, he's still a distraction and an embarrassment.  The Yankees are in a transition phase, and have been for the past couple of seasons.  Jeter's retirement officially "shuts the door" on the past.  Releasing ARod and eating his contract now makes sense in that context, as you start anew in 2015 without the shadow of ARod lurking over everything.

That said, it's not going to happen.  ARod stays and plays in 2015.  I don't see a mid-season release, but if he is nothing more than average, I can see that happening after the 2015 season is over.
10/1/2014 9:56 AM
That will happen with Yankees. For 3 years. Yet, they'll keep him because they think he can be productive.

If the Yankees will deal with their circus, a team that doesn't give 2 ***** about the money they spend, then a team that needs a 3B would certainly be able to put up with half the circus for $6M.
10/1/2014 9:58 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/1/2014 9:46:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 10/1/2014 9:36:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/1/2014 9:27:00 AM (view original):
FWIW, if A-Rod is 212/298/343 at the AS break, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he was released. 
I would. Eating the contract based on a couple hundred PA? Yikes. If he's hitting .290/.380/.510 would you give him a contract extension?
I might cut him after that. 40 year old distraction, and he's hurting your team, with no signs of getting better? You're trying to make the playoffs, right?
It's not based on a couple of hundred AB.   It's based on the last  5 years of declining production, sitting out and circus time.    In today's game, you don't turn back the clock like they did 10-15 years ago.
10/1/2014 10:02 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/1/2014 9:58:00 AM (view original):
That will happen with Yankees. For 3 years. Yet, they'll keep him because they think he can be productive.

If the Yankees will deal with their circus, a team that doesn't give 2 ***** about the money they spend, then a team that needs a 3B would certainly be able to put up with half the circus for $6M.
The Yanks are used to the circus.   ARod is already under contract.  

I don't think a team would want to "find out" is ARod can play if they have another viable option.
10/1/2014 10:05 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/1/2014 10:05:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/1/2014 9:58:00 AM (view original):

The Yanks are used to the circus.   ARod is already under contract.  

I don't think a team would want to "find out" is ARod can play if they have another viable option.
So "get used" to the circus. And if A-Rod bats like he did in 2013, or 2012, or 2011, you have an above-average 3B for $6M. That's a steal.

If A-Rod plays in Miami, it isn't the circus it is in NY. If he plays in Milwaukee, there's a chance we forget the guy exists every so often. It wouldn't be the same circus. Just like if Jeter was a Brewer, it wouldn't be the same circus.
10/1/2014 10:09 AM
And I don't buy the "it's only 6m" argument.    Very few teams just throw 6m around.    And we've already determined that the ones that do wouldn't have much interest in ARod.   
10/1/2014 10:09 AM
The Brewers are reported to exercise their side of the $14M mutual option for Aramis Ramirez. It's up to Ramirez if he wants that deal or will try to get a long-term deal.

Ramirez is 37 next year, his stats are declining, and he's missed time because of injury for 3 of the last 5 years. They're willing to give him $14M, and nobody would be very surprised if he was hurt for half of 2015 and his stats got worse from the .757 OPS he put up this year, in the same way nobody would be surprised if A-Rod got hurt or struggled. 

Someone would offer A-Rod $6M.
10/1/2014 10:20 AM
37 is not 40.    Would you like to compare some stats from a 37 y/o player to his 40 y/o stats?  

Ramirez is not Rodriguez.   Would you like to read some stories?

10/1/2014 10:24 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/1/2014 10:09:00 AM (view original):
And I don't buy the "it's only 6m" argument.    Very few teams just throw 6m around.    And we've already determined that the ones that do wouldn't have much interest in ARod.   
Nate Mclouth got two years at >$5m per year. $6m is nothing for every team.
10/1/2014 10:29 AM
You're right, A-Rod was a better player than Ramirez was.

Did this player get to rest when he was 39?

I'd prefer Ramirez to A-Rod next year. But teams take risks on players for more money than $6M. If you told the Brewers that they could have Aramis for $14M, or ARod for $6M and the ability to spend that $8M elsewhere, it might make them think.
10/1/2014 10:30 AM
God, I hope the Yankees decide to cut him. This would be fun.
10/1/2014 10:39 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...15 Next ▸
ARod's Value on the Open Market Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.