ARod's Value on the Open Market Topic

If the Yankees cut him, the claiming team would get him for the major league minimum.   Not 6m.
10/1/2014 10:41 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/1/2014 10:30:00 AM (view original):
You're right, A-Rod was a better player than Ramirez was.

Did this player get to rest when he was 39?

I'd prefer Ramirez to A-Rod next year. But teams take risks on players for more money than $6M. If you told the Brewers that they could have Aramis for $14M, or ARod for $6M and the ability to spend that $8M elsewhere, it might make them think.
Rest or not play?    Do you think you can become a better hitter by not playing for 18 months?   After getting 200 PA in the previous 12?    There's a reason players don't play to they're 40.   It's because they don't get better with age.    It's prime and decline without the help of "supplements".
10/1/2014 10:43 AM
I think what we've got here is Yankee fans see ARod as poison.  Odds are we're a little closer to the situation and have watched more of ARod during his decline.   He hasn't really be ARod since 2010.    It's been nothing but decline, injury and controversy since the end of that season.    And we don't think it's realistic to believe he magically got better by sitting out a year.    He might have one good year left.   I just don't know why anyone would willingly pay 6m, with incentives, to find out. 
10/1/2014 10:58 AM
10/1/2014 11:01 AM
We're talking about one of the best players ever. 40 year old "not Arod anymore" is probably still a league average hitter. League average hitters get more than $6m per year. He gets $12m easy without the baggage. $8-10m with it.

It's almost like you don't want him to play well.
10/1/2014 11:03 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/1/2014 11:03:00 AM (view original):
We're talking about one of the best players ever. 40 year old "not Arod anymore" is probably still a league average hitter. League average hitters get more than $6m per year. He gets $12m easy without the baggage. $8-10m with it.

It's almost like you don't want him to play well.
"one of the best players ever".

You forgot to mention "pharmaceutically enhanced".

That last part may not be part of the equation any more.

10/1/2014 11:07 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/1/2014 10:41:00 AM (view original):
If the Yankees cut him, the claiming team would get him for the major league minimum.   Not 6m.
They could pay him more than his contract, I think. If you "claim him" you're on the hook for the whole salary? Wait until he clears waivers and then offer a contract. I think that's how it works. I could be wrong.
10/1/2014 11:11 AM
He's 40.  He hasn't played in 18 months when the season starts.   He had around 200 PA in the 12 months prior.   He's been in decline for years.  Not sure how many times I need to say this.

I'd like him to play well.   He's on the Yankees.   They need him to play well.   Odds are he won't.    See above.
10/1/2014 11:12 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/1/2014 11:11:00 AM (view original):
They could pay him more than his contract, I think. If you "claim him" you're on the hook for the whole salary? Wait until he clears waivers and then offer a contract. I think that's how it works. I could be wrong.
If he's released, it's BL minimum.     Dan Uggla for the Braves.   Soriano for the Yanks.
10/1/2014 11:13 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/1/2014 10:58:00 AM (view original):
I think what we've got here is Yankee fans see ARod as poison.  Odds are we're a little closer to the situation and have watched more of ARod during his decline.   He hasn't really be ARod since 2010.    It's been nothing but decline, injury and controversy since the end of that season.    And we don't think it's realistic to believe he magically got better by sitting out a year.    He might have one good year left.   I just don't know why anyone would willingly pay 6m, with incentives, to find out. 
Would you rather have the 40 year old who played a whole season at age 39 or didn't? I'd rather the guy who didn't, as long as he knew he was going to play at age 40.

If he has one good year left, he's worth the money, easy. Obviously I think the odds of that happening are higher than you do.
If a player is claimed on regular waivers, then the claiming team takes on the entire salary.

if a player  is claimed on waivers after being released, then the claiming team only pays the ML minimum with the original team still on the hook for the rest of the salary.

Posted by burnsy483 on 10/1/2014 11:13:00 AM (view original):
Would you rather have the 40 year old who played a whole season at age 39 or didn't? I'd rather the guy who didn't, as long as he knew he was going to play at age 40.

If he has one good year left, he's worth the money, easy. Obviously I think the odds of that happening are higher than you do.
Do you understand how the human aging process works?

10/1/2014 11:16 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/1/2014 11:13:00 AM (view original):
If he's released, it's BL minimum.     Dan Uggla for the Braves.   Soriano for the Yanks.
Well, Soriano was traded. And the Yankees are paying more than league minimum.

It would be a rare situation where a player was released and multiple teams were interested in his services. But I'm pretty sure that while the team that released you is on the hook for the salary, that when you sign another contract with another team, since you're no longer owned by the previous team. It's just usually league minimum, otherwise why was he released in the first place?
10/1/2014 11:16 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/1/2014 11:16:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/1/2014 11:13:00 AM (view original):

Do you understand how the human aging process works?

No.

What kind of question is that?
10/1/2014 11:18 AM
I'll help you.   You do something for roughly 32 years.   Obviously you grow older.  You peak then you decline.   Then you take 18 months off, at 38-39,  doing something that requires very good hand/eye coordination.   Some people says it's the toughest task in sports. 

How does the math say "Oh, he'll turn back the clock 5 years"?
10/1/2014 11:30 AM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...15 Next ▸
ARod's Value on the Open Market Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.