Why merge? 19 owners want to join your league now Topic

We now have half a league
10/9/2014 5:59 PM
And now we don't. Aliasgate strikes!
10/10/2014 10:15 AM
The Rule 5 draft thus becomes the method to fill out most or all of your remaining 40 man roster (since the DFAd players will have not had cleared waivers and thus be Rule 5 draft eligible)

It's Friday afternoon and my brain is fried, so maybe I'm not thinking this through all the way, but is the following a loophole?

Player still has remaining years on his contract beyond the current season.  He is DFA'd without waivers the day before the R5 freeze and draft..  He's now off the 40, but because he still has remaining years left on his contract, he's not R5 eligible.  The day after the R5 draft, he is reassigned back to the ML team and is added back to the 40.

10/10/2014 3:49 PM
I don't see a rule in the actual Rule 5 rules that states a player with a multiple year contract can't be taken, but it does mention that they have to pass through waivers.

Thus, I assume you could be correct.

And, since I don't really trust asking Customer Support, I will try it myself. I have a player I've been thinking about DFA'ing anyway, so I'll do it within the 2 days of the Rule 5 and see what happens.

He'll probably be claimed, with my luck
10/10/2014 4:50 PM
Multi-year contracts won't show up on the R5 lists.
10/10/2014 4:53 PM
AND, even if it is an end around, it might not be a successful one because he still might be claimed on the WW. But, I get what you're saying, he has a better chance on the WW than in the Rule 5 of sneaking through.
10/10/2014 4:54 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/10/2014 4:53:00 PM (view original):
Multi-year contracts won't show up on the R5 lists.
Ok. Tested?
10/10/2014 4:54 PM
Known fact.

Sign a guy to a multi-year deal.   Don't assign him.   Not on R5 list.   If you have to see it to believe, Gray and Cannon in Coop were signed to multi-year.   Try to take them in the R5.   I've used it for years to protect more than 40.   And announced it in a thread years ago so everyone would know.  Must have been during your prison time.
10/10/2014 5:01 PM
Yes, k, thanks.

So, pondering it, I think it's a legitimate tool for managing the "20 man roster" rather than an end around.

2 scenarios;
  • You want to DFA without waivers, and thus avoid the rule 5. You still have the barrier of the min 20 man ML roster, and he's still exposed in the WW. I'm good with that.
  • You want to sign late, and thus not have to assign and count that player in the 20 man count. So does the rest of the league. I'm ok with that.
Any disagreement?

10/10/2014 5:07 PM
You don't have to sign late.  Gray and Cannon were signed during the re-sign FA period.    Are you listening to me at all?
10/10/2014 5:25 PM
Posted by deathinahole on 10/10/2014 5:07:00 PM (view original):
Yes, k, thanks.

So, pondering it, I think it's a legitimate tool for managing the "20 man roster" rather than an end around.

2 scenarios;
  • You want to DFA without waivers, and thus avoid the rule 5. You still have the barrier of the min 20 man ML roster, and he's still exposed in the WW. I'm good with that.
  • You want to sign late, and thus not have to assign and count that player in the 20 man count. So does the rest of the league. I'm ok with that.
Any disagreement?

If you DFA without waivers, he's not exposed to the WW.
10/10/2014 8:40 PM
In other words, let's say I have 25 guys on my ML roster.  I DFA 5 of them without waivers, keeping 20 on the roster.  I have no risk of losing those 5.  After R5 has completed, I add them back to the ML roster (if I wish).  Therefore, I'm still "protecting" 25 players.
10/10/2014 8:43 PM
Yea yea, I've been on back meds all day, forgive me.

Let me ponder that. I think there's an easy solution....when I can think.
10/10/2014 9:24 PM
So, thinking about it a little, I think the DFA rule is enforceable by the 40 man report.
About to have Canadian Thanksgiving, will lay it out tomorrow
10/12/2014 10:21 AM
So, the rule is to DFA down to 20.

There is a 40 Man roster report. At the beginning of the season, I take a copy of everyone's rosters.
during rule 5, I take a copy of the waiver wire, the rule 5 list and existing 40 man roster.

WW + Rule 5 + existing 40 man gets vlookup into original 40 man rosters. Non-matches are your DFA without waivers.

Correct?

10/13/2014 1:41 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Why merge? 19 owners want to join your league now Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.