Oh Smart Coaches...What Defense do you like??? Topic

In my short time it seems:

Man
+When teams are equal or near each other in terms of ath/spd
+seems the best scoring defenses are man.
+not as tiresome as press
+less fouls it seems than press.
-doesn't cause a lot of to's

Press
+when you have an advantage in ath/spd.
+causes many to's allowing more shots
-sometimes can give up to many fouls to uptemo or fastbreak offenses.
-fouls/to's caused seem to vary a bit according to other people.

Zone
+can hide weak defender
+least drain on stamina
-seems to be the weakest of the 3 defenses.

I don't know how well everything is, but I think I got the bare bones of all 3.

Currently when given a choice I run Man, but I have teams running all 3 from inheriting from previous coaches.
1/12/2015 5:51 PM
What do you think the difference in a good player for a zone defense vs. a good player for a man defense is rating wise?  I feel like in real life, if my team was not fast enough but still had the desire to play good defense that a Zone would be the answer.  That same team would not play as well playing man defense because physically they would not be fast enough to keep up.  Do you think that the same reasoning applies in this game?  I understand that a good defensive player in a man defense would be able to help and rotate, but to many rotations usually leads to problems because you are exposing more players defensive liabilities.  I am just overthinking or am I on the right track?
1/15/2015 11:25 AM
You're overthinking it.  A good defender in man to man is a good defender in zone.  Forum lore says to place somewhat more emphasis on shot blocking in a zone.
1/15/2015 1:27 PM
There was a thread ... a couple months back?  about how the splits work out for a 3/2 vs 2/3 zone.  Really in both cases the key is having a very strong center, and apprently shotblocking is a big part as llama notes
1/16/2015 1:39 PM
◂ Prev 12
Oh Smart Coaches...What Defense do you like??? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.