study hall for international recruit Topic

Personally, I prefer to front load the study hall minutes into the freshman season. I don't know that the gpa helps anything, but I do like not having to worry about giving any SH minutes to players that are actually seeing court time. For internationals, I generally start with 10, unless the scouting told me they were dumb, then I go with a little more. Basically, my approach is to try to get them to 3.5 their first year, then everything is golden. 
11/10/2014 12:47 AM
Posted by mullycj on 11/8/2014 2:59:00 PM (view original):
but do you have to give them SH time as Jr and Sr?
never. 
11/10/2014 9:35 AM
Posted by npb7768 on 11/9/2014 11:26:00 PM (view original):
Is there any benefit at all to a great college gpa?
From reading the forums, the answer would be "no" for ratings improvement and IQ improvement.

But what about coach reputation?
Or recruitment?
Or applying for jobs? (someone hinted here recently that high gpa's helped when applying to Ivy League jobs... is this true? and even if it's not for an Ivy job, would schools tend to favor coaches whose players have good gpa's?).
Or avoiding getting fired in Div-1?

Seems weird that there wouldn't be any reward at all for getting your players to study.

college GPA matters for nothing, except with future college grades. 
11/10/2014 1:52 PM
Posted by mullycj on 11/8/2014 2:59:00 PM (view original):
but do you have to give them SH time as Jr and Sr?
on rare occasion, yes... but the minutes are also less valuable at that time.
11/10/2014 1:53 PM
Posted by rogelio on 11/4/2014 3:48:00 PM (view original):
If you scouted the International student you may have received a report on how good a student they are.  If so, then apply the minutes chart from the Player's guide with a guess within that range.  Something like Excellent = 0 minutes; Above = 5; mediocre = 10; below = 15.  You can shortchange it, as long as you don't forget to adjust at midterms.  

not sure how to read his scouting reports to decipher whether he should be a good student. his two evals are:

Coach, just flew back from my evaluation visit of Dikembe Aoki.
Anyway, knowing what I know about DII basketball, here were some of the observations I jotted down as I watched him play:

- Pretty good understanding how to play defense - I really think we could see massive improvement by his Senior year.
- Just doesn't have a good instinct for blocking shots - very little room for growth.
- Great speed at his position - with the right diet and conditioning he could be MUCH quicker than he is today.
- Can tire late in the game - we should be able to improve his endurance with our training program.

Defensively, they played mostly a zone. Nothing remarkable about his knowledge of the zone. 

Overall, I think a DII school would be lucky to get him, otherwise he'll probably thrive in a low Division I program.

I left the usual Charleston materials with his head coach and he was very appreciative. Looks like if we play our cards right, we'll have another signee soon.

AND 

Coach, just flew back from my evaluation visit of Dikembe Aoki.
Weather was much worse than I expected, that Vegas trip seems like a long time ago now.
Anyway, knowing what I know about DII basketball, here were some of the observations I jotted down as I watched him play:

- Pretty good understanding how to play defense - I really think we could see massive improvement by his Senior year.
- Just average from the line - I definitely think we can correct some fundamental issues to help him improve.
- Outstanding court vision and passing ability - I don't think we're going to be able to get much more out of him.
- Can tire late in the game - we should be able to improve his endurance with our training program.

Looks like the team primarily plays runs a flex offense. Based on their sets, he seemed like he knew where to be while running flex, but there were a couple of times he was out of position. 

Overall, I think a DII school would be lucky to get him, otherwise he'll probably thrive in a low Division I program.
11/11/2014 12:39 PM (edited)
haven't had first midterms yet. 
11/10/2014 7:12 PM
when you search for recruits filter for internationals and sort by GPA.  the grades are listed right there.
11/10/2014 11:14 PM
Posted by nova71 on 11/10/2014 11:14:00 PM (view original):
when you search for recruits filter for internationals and sort by GPA.  the grades are listed right there.
Awesome!  I never even thought of sorting by GPA.  I wonder if seble will eliminate that now or block the internationals #.
11/11/2014 10:46 AM
Posted by nova71 on 11/10/2014 11:14:00 PM (view original):
+1 - learn something new everyday! 
11/11/2014 12:37 PM
◂ Prev 12
study hall for international recruit Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.