2015 HOF ballot Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 12/29/2014 3:45:00 PM (view original):
And I'm almost certain BL is including dWAR in his numbers.   Most of us don't accept that as a legit stat just yet.   Simply because a guy can be the bestest defensive player ever one season, Jason Giambi-like the next two and then the bestest ever again in consecutive seasons.
Says the guy who still considers pitcher win/loss a legit stat.

Mickey Mantle hit .365 in 1957 and then hit .275 in 1960 before rebounding and hitting .317 in 1961 and .321 in 1962. Should we go ahead and toss out batting average?
12/29/2014 4:08 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/29/2014 2:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/29/2014 2:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/29/2014 2:18:00 PM (view original):
Um, OK. Again, my point is that all of those compilers are right around hall of fame average for their positions. Hall of fame average is what I consider the border when it comes to borderline candidates.
So you would consider Derek Jeter to be a borderline HOF candidate, along the lines of the Richie Ashburn?

LOL.

I would consider Jeter to be just above Hall of Fame average for shortstops. Along with Raines, he has the strongest hall case of the players I listed. Ashburn has the worst.

I'm not saying that Jeter isn't a hall of famer. But let's be real, he's not Wagner/Ripken/Arod level. He's Larkin level.
I might take Jeter over Ripken.  I can't really pick between the 2.  They're 6 and 7 on my list, and I don't know which is which.
12/29/2014 4:17 PM
It's not the Hall of Highest WAR.    It's the Hall of Fame. 

Even trying to compare Raines/Lofton to Jeter for HOF-worthiness proves how far your face is buried in the stats(and up your ***).  

It's almost as retarded as saying "Lofton only got 18 votes.   He was not seriously considered."
12/29/2014 4:22 PM
Offensively, they're fairly close, with Jeter getting the edge. But I think Ripken really separates with the glove. Or, more accurately, Jeter really buries himself with the glove.
12/29/2014 4:24 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/29/2014 4:22:00 PM (view original):
It's not the Hall of Highest WAR.    It's the Hall of Fame. 

Even trying to compare Raines/Lofton to Jeter for HOF-worthiness proves how far your face is buried in the stats(and up your ***).  

It's almost as retarded as saying "Lofton only got 18 votes.   He was not seriously considered."
Yes, it's the Hall of Fame. The place where we honor the best baseball players.

In terms of "how good were they at playing baseball," Raines and Jeter are very, very close. Lofton trails both.
12/29/2014 4:29 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13
2015 HOF ballot Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.