recruiting with a D- prestige at D1 Topic

Posted by llamanunts on 12/30/2014 1:24:00 PM (view original):
Bates and Myles are really good D2 players.  Cissells show up on a lot of D2 rosters.
Bates a really good D2 player? Now that is good for a hearty laugh. The other two I could see making it onto a handful of D2 teams, but Bates would be a very rare find at D2.
12/30/2014 10:03 PM
Posted by matt58vt on 12/30/2014 2:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by car_crazy_v2 on 12/30/2014 1:44:00 AM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 12/29/2014 11:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bagger288 on 12/28/2014 10:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tannermcc on 12/28/2014 10:24:00 PM (view original):
Be careful not to recruit any players that D2 coaches feel like they should get. They get really upset.
this made me LOL, i dont understand coaches somedays
I know right, I mean what kind of coach at a BCS school (even if it is a C- prestige), recruits unranked guards whose overall ratings start out at 490 and below? Even a C- prestige school can do far, far better than that.

To beat all, that school had six open schollies, so they could have EASILY scouted the entire country and still had PLENTY of money to fill all their schollies if they chose to. And with FAR better players than what they got, I can assure you of that. That was newbie coach level recruiting.
I'm assuming you meant to say even a D- prestige school can do far better than that. So, I ask, do you think I should not have recruited these players who were all unranked recruits?

Charles Bates
Gerald Myles
Donald Cissell

Perhaps they're not world-beaters, but they are a heck of a lot better than plenty of recruits I see getting signed by many B-prestige schools in Big 6 conferences. And I signed them for pennies. Recruit the players who you think fit your team and ignore the rankings and overall ratings.
^This... Clearly you've had pretty good success and those are all solid D-I guys at that level so i mean, who's to judge..
Well, you're right about one thing, they aren't world beaters.

In the interest of fairness, a whole lot of that success, and I mean a bunch, has come in a conference(s) filled to the gills with Sim teams. The George Mason team on his resume, same thing all Sim teams in that conference too. It's not that hard to have "success" when you're getting 14-16 games a year at a MINIMUM against Sim teams. You've posted in many threads about your "success" with mid-majors, while always conveniently leaving out the fact that you achieved those gaudy records by beating up on Sim teams every year. I went back and looked at your George Mason team since that's the one you always hang your hat on and I counted how many human coaches were in that conference at the same time that you were putting up all those pretty records. I could count the total with one hand (and probably have a couple of fingers left over if I recall correctly, but it has been awhile).

Now if we look at the rate of "success" at NC State, well, we get a whole different picture. No doubt still undershooting on recruits and against the big boys that'll cost you. Just like the other coach I mentioned. He has very little chance to actually compete with big boy BCS schools recruiting those kind of players when they are bringing in 3, 4, and 5 star guys. Simple as that.

Your three examples, while holding up nicely against all the Sim teams in your conference, wouldn't look out of place at all on a top level D2 team, especially Cissell and Bates. A Bates would be much easier to find than a Myles by the way. All that might sting a bit, but it's the truth. Sorry and have a wonderful rest of the evening.

All this makes my head hurt, I think I'll take a long break from the forums, too much BS here right now and I don't feel like walking around in boots. I hope your response is the best in the history of the written word, but I'll not be responding back, so please take that into consideration when you do post. Take care and good luck with your teams! Good day.

One last thing, I didn't mean to say D- prestige schools. If I had meant to say D- schools, I would have typed D- schools, I meant to say C- schools, which is why I typed it that way. You know the whole saying about "assuming" so there's no need to repeat it again here. So again, take care, have a wonderful evening, a great day tomorrow, and good luck with your Princeton team. Perhaps you'll put some fear into the big boy schools as you make a run to the Elite Eight! Or not. But anyway, good luck trying!!
12/30/2014 10:42 PM (edited)
I see that you won't be responding back, but I'm just about certain that you'll read this out of curiosity. I wasn't trying to instigate anything here so I think your efforts to bash my resume are a bit misplaced.

I don't claim to have done any more than take these programs out of the crapper and at least into respectability, which is what I think the goal of any coach should be for their first four to five seasons upon taking over a D prestige school at DI. I started off at Princeton with the scholarship money for three players and I think my recruiting strategy on such a strict budget worked. We're now in a place to head into recruiting with a big budget and good prestige.
12/30/2014 11:29 PM
Posted by car_crazy_v2 on 12/30/2014 10:03:00 PM (view original):
Bates and Myles are really good D2 players.  Cissells show up on a lot of D2 rosters.
Bates a really good D2 player? Now that is good for a hearty laugh. The other two I could see making it onto a handful of D2 teams, but Bates would be a very rare find at D2.
I'll back off on Bates.  I've only had, oh, a handful of guys on my two D2 teams who were as good, and I only kept track of past players on one of those teams.  I stopped doing that several seasons ago.

Bates is an *awesome* D2 player.
1/1/2015 1:07 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 1/1/2015 1:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by car_crazy_v2 on 12/30/2014 10:03:00 PM (view original):
I'll back off on Bates.  I've only had, oh, a handful of guys on my two D2 teams who were as good, and I only kept track of past players on one of those teams.  I stopped doing that several seasons ago.

Bates is an *awesome* D2 player.
That's more like it haha.
1/1/2015 1:48 PM
◂ Prev 12
recruiting with a D- prestige at D1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.