Posted by moranis on 1/16/2015 10:51:00 AM (view original):
Kiper's chat from yesterday at 2:03 pm.

Tony (Richmond, CA)

Where do you project Cardale Jones being drafted?

Mel Kiper
  (2:03 PM)

His stock is questionable. He has the size and the arm and he's mobile. But he's only played the three games. I think he could go second round, he could go fourth round. He has big time physical ability, but the small sample size.

Kiper has been high on Jones for awhile.  Before the bowl games on December 18th he said this about him.

John (Rutland, MA)

How are the quarterbacks looking for 2016? I saw where you said there is no franchise type for 2015. Thank you.

Mel Kiper
  (2:15 PM)

Cardale Jones is the interesting guy. He is a third-year sophomore this year, so he's draft eligible, but I doubt he'll come out. Jones is the best pro prospect on Ohio State and has the best arm out of anyone in college football. Connor Cook will definitely be one of the top guys. Cody Kessler is another.

That's interesting. Just seems like an enormous risk.
1/16/2015 11:05 AM
As a sophomore at Florida, Cam Newton was the 3rd string QB before transferring to Auburn after the year (he was actually the backup QB as a freshman and got demoted when Brantley came to the program).  Aaron Rodgers wasn't even recruited and played a year at junior college.  Drew Brees sat a year before he started at Purdue.  Joe Flacco flamed out at Pittsburgh before transferring to Delaware in the FCS. 

Lots of QB's are backups or 3rd stringers early on in their career before they go on to have good to great NFL careers.  Not everyone is Peyton Manning.  Now don't get me wrong, I get that all those guys ended up performing well for full seasons in college (which is a difference), but this notion that a sophomore is a 3rd string QB so he must suck is just ridiculous.
1/16/2015 11:11 AM
This isn't a blazing endorsement or even a prediction that he could go in the 2nd or 4th.    That's just Kiper hemming and hawing because he hasn't spoken to enough NFL guys to know how much they value Jones.

"His stock is questionable. He has the size and the arm and he's mobile. But he's only played the three games. I think he could go second round, he could go fourth round. He has big time physical ability, but the small sample size."

1/16/2015 11:11 AM
No one has said he sucks.   You can tell he has ability.   But he sat on the bench behind the bench. 
1/16/2015 11:13 AM
Posted by moranis on 1/16/2015 11:11:00 AM (view original):
As a sophomore at Florida, Cam Newton was the 3rd string QB before transferring to Auburn after the year (he was actually the backup QB as a freshman and got demoted when Brantley came to the program).  Aaron Rodgers wasn't even recruited and played a year at junior college.  Drew Brees sat a year before he started at Purdue.  Joe Flacco flamed out at Pittsburgh before transferring to Delaware in the FCS. 

Lots of QB's are backups or 3rd stringers early on in their career before they go on to have good to great NFL careers.  Not everyone is Peyton Manning.  Now don't get me wrong, I get that all those guys ended up performing well for full seasons in college (which is a difference), but this notion that a sophomore is a 3rd string QB so he must suck is just ridiculous.
Who said he sucks?
1/16/2015 11:15 AM
Anyone who said he's not a 2nd round pick?
1/16/2015 11:23 AM
it's in Mike's tone when he talks about him.  why do you think he keeps bringing up the tweet from 3 years ago and making all kinds of nonsensical ridiculous arguments?  I mean that is just who Mike is
1/16/2015 11:27 AM
I don't see any particularly nonsensical arguments related to Jones' draft stock.  The stuff about the tweet and him getting suspended for grades is clearly just him baiting you, and you bite on it every time, like a big dumb bass.
1/16/2015 11:37 AM
Posted by moranis on 1/16/2015 11:11:00 AM (view original):

I'm just saying it's surprising that someone would use a high-ish draft pick on someone who played 3 games. Seems very risky.
1/16/2015 11:40 AM
I can see Dallas taking him early, because, Jerry.
1/16/2015 11:43 AM
Posted by AlCheez on 1/16/2015 11:38:00 AM (view original):
I don't see any particularly nonsensical arguments related to Jones' draft stock.  The stuff about the tweet and him getting suspended for grades is clearly just him baiting you, and you bite on it every time, like a big dumb bass.
   What??  Me ******* with moranis??   No way!!!!
1/16/2015 12:17 PM
From Moranis:
There are plenty of teams that might have been interested if they think Jones projects out like Big Ben.  I mean a team like Cincinnati that has Dalton, who is good, but not great might take a flyer on a guy like Jones who could be great in a year or two.  So they ride Dalton until Jones is ready.  Denver could use a Manning replacement.  New England has Garoppalo (or whatever his name is), so they are probably out.  If one of the teams that needs a QB misses out on Jameis or Marcus, I could see them taking a flyer on Jones in the 3rd round.  Heck even the Browns make some sense.  

It is all moot now since he is going back to Ohio State, but I easily could have seen him going in the late 2nd round.  He is 6'5" 250 pounds with a cannon for an arm and is mobile enough to make things happen, but not so mobile as running is his first instinct.  And sure he only has 3 games, but he looked pretty good in those games.  He for the most part read the defense well and made the right throw even if he wasn't always on target.  And how much more film is going to be useful in an offensive system like OSU has.  I mean it isn't like Jones is taking the ball under center and running a pro style offense.  Sure more games gives you more film, but there aren't going to be many similar situations even if he had started all year.  That is the problem Mariota is going to have and why his pro day is going to be so important for him.  He needs to show the scouts he can run a pro style offense (that isn't Chip Kelly's). 

Of course you could have. You could easily see a whole 1st round of Ohio St players.
1/16/2015 12:22 PM
Here's the thing:

"We ain't here to play school" is a bad choice.   Not only did he think it, he typed and, even worse, hit send for the world to see.   It's poor decision-making and leads one to believe he's not the most "willing to learn" guy.     Neither of those are things NFL teams want in a QB. 

He was 3rd string.   As I understand it, he was demoted when they weren't even practicing.   The coaches had a problem with him.   We don't know what it was but that's not something NFL teams want.    The fact that the team didn't want him on the field says something.    That hurt Brady's stock because MI kept putting Drew Henson in the game.    The NFL wanted to know why.

He played 3 games.  Well, he played 3 games.    Not sure that's enough to get a full read on him.   Jamarcus Russell could throw the **** out of the ball and was mobile enough(before he got fat in the NFL) to make plays on the run.   JR had one good SEASON.   That's about 10 games more than Jones played.
1/16/2015 12:24 PM
Oh, I forgot that the coaching staff threatened to take away his MSU tickets.   Don't know why but coaches don't take tickets away from players for nothing.   He did something that ****** off the staff.   
1/16/2015 12:25 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 1/16/2015 12:22:00 PM (view original):
From Moranis:
There are plenty of teams that might have been interested if they think Jones projects out like Big Ben.  I mean a team like Cincinnati that has Dalton, who is good, but not great might take a flyer on a guy like Jones who could be great in a year or two.  So they ride Dalton until Jones is ready.  Denver could use a Manning replacement.  New England has Garoppalo (or whatever his name is), so they are probably out.  If one of the teams that needs a QB misses out on Jameis or Marcus, I could see them taking a flyer on Jones in the 3rd round.  Heck even the Browns make some sense.  

It is all moot now since he is going back to Ohio State, but I easily could have seen him going in the late 2nd round.  He is 6'5" 250 pounds with a cannon for an arm and is mobile enough to make things happen, but not so mobile as running is his first instinct.  And sure he only has 3 games, but he looked pretty good in those games.  He for the most part read the defense well and made the right throw even if he wasn't always on target.  And how much more film is going to be useful in an offensive system like OSU has.  I mean it isn't like Jones is taking the ball under center and running a pro style offense.  Sure more games gives you more film, but there aren't going to be many similar situations even if he had started all year.  That is the problem Mariota is going to have and why his pro day is going to be so important for him.  He needs to show the scouts he can run a pro style offense (that isn't Chip Kelly's). 

Of course you could have. You could easily see a whole 1st round of Ohio St players.
No I couldn't.  Bennett is the only guy in the draft that could be a 1st rounder, but he might go early 2nd (I think he goes in the 20's, but could go in the 30's).  Smith will get drafted, but is a second day guy at best and may end up on the third day depending on his combine. No other Buckeyes in this draft project out very well, though there aren't that many in this draft.
1/16/2015 1:36 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.