Keeper World Discussion Thread Topic

Posted by shobob on 1/5/2015 7:57:00 PM (view original):
Off the top of my head, 55/120/190/265.
Seems reasonable.
1/5/2015 8:13 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/5/2015 8:02:00 PM (view original):
I would think a simple ticket saying "Hey, these clowns aren't checking in.   We're trying to amend rules and can't do so without their consent.   Please credit their accounts and remove them from the world."
Seems reasonable
1/5/2015 11:24 PM
The proposed MWR is very reasonable.
1/6/2015 2:49 AM (edited)
My feeling is that even though these are long time owners from this world, if they've not logged in that long we move forward. I hate losing other owners I've been in this world with for so long, but eventually you just have to move on. Especially the way things are now with refilling open Worlds. 
1/6/2015 7:24 AM
Posted by shobob on 1/5/2015 11:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/5/2015 8:02:00 PM (view original):
I would think a simple ticket saying "Hey, these clowns aren't checking in.   We're trying to amend rules and can't do so without their consent.   Please credit their accounts and remove them from the world."
Seems reasonable
I wouldn't call them "clowns" in the ticket.
1/6/2015 8:11 AM
Assclowns then?
1/6/2015 9:57 AM
So, how do we deal with the fact that unassigned players aren't on the 40 man roster? Definitely a loophole, unless I am missing something.
1/6/2015 8:40 PM
Ok, one potential solution for the problem is to allow the loophole (legalize it!), but lower the number of players allowed on the 40 man roster for the rule 5 draft. I suggest 8-10.

This would mean that if you sign a player to a LT contract in the free agency period, and leave him unassigned till after the R5 draft, he is essentially "protected". Same goes for won waiver claims (of players with LT contracts) left unassigned.

I am suggesting this, because I feel that the less punitive rules to enforce, the better.

Thoughts?
1/7/2015 8:45 AM
I'm not sure it's going to be practical or even possible to do that. 

By definition, anybody on the ML roster HAS to be on the 40 man roster.  I'm not sure if the sim will even let you go below 20 players on your ML roster.  It can happen if you have a bunch of departing FA's, so you may roll to the next season and go under 20.  But if you roll and you're over 20 on the ML roster, I don't think the sim will let you DFA or take any other actions to go from 20 or more to less than 20.  I know you cannot do that with any minor league level (other than Rookie) in the preseason.
1/7/2015 9:00 AM

I think you can go below 20 on your BL roster during the budget process(by releasing players).    But I don't think it's practical to go down to 10 protected on the R5.   You're then assuming EVERYONE will able to manipulate their roster so they have 10 unassigned players.    I've "gamed" the system many times and never had 10 unassigned guys who were BL material.

1/7/2015 9:05 AM
Good point. That's something to investigate. Anyone in their preseason want to run an experiment for me?
1/7/2015 9:06 AM
I'll retract the "during the budget process" part.    Once I decline a couple of options and release an arb-el player, I'm going to be at 19 in Coop.    I know, for a fact, that I can do this.    So change that to "Until the Sign FA part of ST".    
1/7/2015 9:16 AM
Let's back up a minute, and talk about two things: (1) how is the "spirit of the rule" going to be monitored?, and (2) what is going to be the punishment for violations?

1)  How is the "spirit of the rule" going to be monitored?

The first resource you have is the "Rule 5 Draft Order" page.  That lists all teams along with the number of players they have on the 20 man roster at the time.

The second resource you have is the "Player Search" page.  You would have to go to that page, search on each of the 32 teams individually with "Level - All" and "View - Status Info", sort by LVL, and the unassigned guys should show up at the top of the list.  You then have to look at the "Signed Thru" column for each of the unassigned guys to look for those with future seasons on their contracts (they are the ones not eligible to be exposed to R5).  And you have do do this twice for each team, once for pitchers and once for position players.  So that's 64 pages you need to look at.

So once you go through these two resources, you should be able to tell how many people are on the 40, and how many people are in the "unassigned" loophole for each team.  The total of these two need to be no more than 20.

That seems like it's going to be a fair amount of work, and somebody (either the commish, or a combination of the commish and one or more trusted "deputies") will have to do this on R5 freeze day.

2)  What is going to be the punishment for violations?

Shobob, I think you mentioned in the WC that the punishment would be immediate removal from the world.  Is that practical?  Let's say you have 3 people in violation.  Is is practical or reasonable to expect that WIS will immediate remove 3 people from the world the day after the R5 draft, and you're going to find 3 replacement owners willing to come in to take those teams and adhere to the rules?  What if it's 5 or 6 owners?  I predict that potentially forcing that much in-season turnover is going to be extremely chaotic and create a lot of dissatisfaction among the remaining owners.

Perhaps a lesser punishment than immediate removal would be more prudent.  Let's think about alternatives.

1/7/2015 9:24 AM
Giving away free teams won't be a problem. 

The main objective, and I mentioned this to death many moons ago, is to get 32 owners who fully intend to adhere to the rules.   Then you won't have owners seeking loopholes in order to cheat the object of the game.   

If you have an inkling that someone is only 98% in, you probably have 100% chance of having an issue.
1/7/2015 9:36 AM
yeah, pretty sure you can't DFA major league players if your big league roster is below 20, even in preseason.  You can release arb eligible players who haven't gone through arb yet even if you are under 20, as was previously mentioned. 

good point on the punishment aspect, and the chaos multiple immediate removals would cause.  sounds like it's going to have be pretty much on the honor system, maybe with some sort of three strikes rules instead of one and done, maybe with leniency for errors determined to be honest mistakes. 

1/7/2015 9:37 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...26 Next ▸
Keeper World Discussion Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.