11 of 12 footballs deflated.... Topic

A) you know I don't give a **** about PED.

B) maybe the PSI gauge was bad.    After all, it was 11 of 12.    Bad equipment(like a gauge) doesn't excuse you but underinflated balls doesn't mean you were necessarily actively attempting to cheat. 

I'm pretty sure someone tampered with the balls.  I'm not sure the order came down from management or even a player.   I'd need some sort of evidence that it was to punish individuals.    Take away a pick, fine the organization.    I just don't see how this can be put on BB or Tommy Boy without something more than underinflated balls as the sole piece of evidence.
1/23/2015 10:54 AM
My guess is that they wanted to catch them in the act. Now they get to set an example.
1/23/2015 10:55 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/23/2015 10:54:00 AM (view original):
A) you know I don't give a **** about PED.

B) maybe the PSI gauge was bad.    After all, it was 11 of 12.    Bad equipment(like a gauge) doesn't excuse you but underinflated balls doesn't mean you were necessarily actively attempting to cheat. 

I'm pretty sure someone tampered with the balls.  I'm not sure the order came down from management or even a player.   I'd need some sort of evidence that it was to punish individuals.    Take away a pick, fine the organization.    I just don't see how this can be put on BB or Tommy Boy without something more than underinflated balls as the sole piece of evidence.
The PSI gauge was broken for 11 of the 12 Pats footballs, but ok for 12 of the 12 Colts footballs?

Regarding PED, the point is the punishment does exist, and it would be silly to not suspend someone based on "my rogue trainer must have done it."
1/23/2015 10:57 AM
Unless you're talking about the Pats PSI gauge? In that case, it's "The refs didn't check the balls the way they were supposed to pre-game, and ALSO the Pats ACCIDENTALLY submitted underinflated footballs because their PSI gauge was broken on that day." No punishment. Yea.
1/23/2015 11:01 AM
Did the Pats accidently submit underinflated balls?  Maybe.   Maybe they did it on purpose and were hoping the NFL wouldn't catch it.   Is there a punishment for submitting underinflated balls?  I doubt it. 
1/23/2015 11:05 AM
Posted by The Taint on 1/23/2015 10:55:00 AM (view original):
My guess is that they wanted to catch them in the act. Now they get to set an example.
I doubt the NFL wants to "set an example" the week before their premier event. 
1/23/2015 11:05 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/23/2015 11:05:00 AM (view original):
Oh, they're not going to suspend him for this game. No chance.
1/23/2015 11:08 AM
Did the Pats accidently submit underinflated balls?  Maybe.   Maybe they did it on purpose and were hoping the NFL wouldn't catch it.   Is there a punishment for submitting underinflated balls?  I doubt it. 
And maybe the batboy gave that slugger a corked bat. And maybe that trainer told that player he was shooting him up with B-12. And maybe that infielder scuffed that ball. And maybe someone planted that gun in my carry-on bag. And maybe 9-11 was an inside job. And maybe someone photoshopped Ray Rice in that video. 

OR! Go with the most logical answer and take appropriate action.
1/23/2015 11:12 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/23/2015 10:24:00 AM (view original):
Yes, of course it would.   I would not get jail time or fined.    Maybe the authorities would pour over records and make my life difficult.  Maybe they would find something to fine me for after doing that.   But I wouldn't be fined for kitten crushing.  

You want BB's head on a stick and this does not warrant it.    Perhaps a rogue employee, one that he does NOT oversee and had no hand in hiring(which doesn't apply to my kitten crushing driver), did something against the rules.   Punish the organization not the guy who has no hand in ball management.
I'm not calling for BB's head on a stick.  That was stinenavy who said that he should be suspended for the Super Bowl.  I think that's both extremely unlikely, and extremely excessive.  Unless the NFL investigation finds something really egregious going on in Foxboro as part of their investigation.

My only comment has to do with Belichick's accountability in all of this.  If he has virtually complete control of all things related to football operations in the Pats organization, and somebody on the payroll who falls under football operations (that would exclude the ticket people, security, secretaries, other purely administrative functions, etc.) tampered with the footballs, then it needs to roll up to him.  Again, that's how the business world works.

Most likely (and appropriate) punishment will be fines and loss of a draft pick, much like after Spygate.  I wouldn't expect the team and/or Belichick to be hit as hard as they were then, but again, we need to see what the NFL investigation finds.
1/23/2015 11:13 AM
Someone smarter than me told me that the Pats probably filled the footballs with hot air before handing them to the refs. This increases the pressure, despite not having as much air in them.  As they cool off (after the balls were checked) the air pressure falls.  So it would be unlikely, even with security tapes and the like, that you see anyone walking over the footballs on the field and tampering with them.
1/23/2015 11:33 AM
The example won't come down until after the game, but if what Jay Glazer is reporting is true, they definitely had the Pats and this type of cheating in their crosshairs.
1/23/2015 11:38 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/23/2015 11:12:00 AM (view original):
And maybe the batboy gave that slugger a corked bat. And maybe that trainer told that player he was shooting him up with B-12. And maybe that infielder scuffed that ball. And maybe someone planted that gun in my carry-on bag. And maybe 9-11 was an inside job. And maybe someone photoshopped Ray Rice in that video. 

OR! Go with the most logical answer and take appropriate action.
So, should the NFL suspend anyone on the Patriots offense who touched an underinflated ball?   That's what you seem to be implying.   Good luck with that.
1/23/2015 12:09 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/23/2015 11:33:00 AM (view original):
Someone smarter than me told me that the Pats probably filled the footballs with hot air before handing them to the refs. This increases the pressure, despite not having as much air in them.  As they cool off (after the balls were checked) the air pressure falls.  So it would be unlikely, even with security tapes and the like, that you see anyone walking over the footballs on the field and tampering with them.

Tires lose PSI during the winter.   They heat up when you drive.   Maybe all the balls were legal but, due to cold weather, lost PSI.    Patriots balls started the game 12.5 PSI, Colts started at 13.5.    Halftime balls were 11.8 for Pats(lower than the limit), Colts were at 12.7(still legal).

Possible?

1/23/2015 12:12 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 1/23/2015 11:13:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/23/2015 10:24:00 AM (view original):
Yes, of course it would.   I would not get jail time or fined.    Maybe the authorities would pour over records and make my life difficult.  Maybe they would find something to fine me for after doing that.   But I wouldn't be fined for kitten crushing.  

You want BB's head on a stick and this does not warrant it.    Perhaps a rogue employee, one that he does NOT oversee and had no hand in hiring(which doesn't apply to my kitten crushing driver), did something against the rules.   Punish the organization not the guy who has no hand in ball management.
I'm not calling for BB's head on a stick.  That was stinenavy who said that he should be suspended for the Super Bowl.  I think that's both extremely unlikely, and extremely excessive.  Unless the NFL investigation finds something really egregious going on in Foxboro as part of their investigation.

My only comment has to do with Belichick's accountability in all of this.  If he has virtually complete control of all things related to football operations in the Pats organization, and somebody on the payroll who falls under football operations (that would exclude the ticket people, security, secretaries, other purely administrative functions, etc.) tampered with the footballs, then it needs to roll up to him.  Again, that's how the business world works.

Most likely (and appropriate) punishment will be fines and loss of a draft pick, much like after Spygate.  I wouldn't expect the team and/or Belichick to be hit as hard as they were then, but again, we need to see what the NFL investigation finds.
So punish the team and leave individuals alone?   Yeah, I've been saying that.
1/23/2015 12:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/23/2015 12:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/23/2015 11:33:00 AM (view original):

Tires lose PSI during the winter.   They heat up when you drive.   Maybe all the balls were legal but, due to cold weather, lost PSI.    Patriots balls started the game 12.5 PSI, Colts started at 13.5.    Halftime balls were 11.8 for Pats(lower than the limit), Colts were at 12.7(still legal).

Possible?

The reports were that the Patriots balls were 2 PSI below the limit - there's been plenty of discussion about the fact that a drop that significant can't be explained by having inflated the balls properly at room temperature and then moving to the outdoor temperature in Foxboro.  It wasn't even that cold early in that game.  So no, if the balls were actually at 12.5 to start, not possible.

But I think the scenario burnsy describes is probably what actually happened.

1/23/2015 12:31 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...22 Next ▸
11 of 12 footballs deflated.... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.