Posted by lvnwrth on 2/9/2015 6:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by johnnyf on 2/6/2015 12:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by lvnwrth on 2/6/2015 9:45:00 AM (view original):

Hmmm...wondering about all this...and what you do with this one:

When Randy Moss was dismissed from the Notre Dame football team, Lou Holtz called his friend, Bobby Bowden, and told him he should give Moss a chance to start over with a clean slate at Florida State.  Collusion?

How would that be collusion? Nothing being agreed to here. 

Johnnyf....your response is my point, exactly.  If another coach asks me, "Are you still interested in Johnny Fumble?" and I reply, "Nope."  what is being agreed to?  No one has ever asked me that, and I have never asked or answered such a sitemail.  But, I really don't see a problem there.

From the Fairplay Guidelines: "Discussing the pursuit of a recruit with another coach, including who is pursuing him and money that might have been spent."

In other words, information about a recruit. Even information like 'Nope'. Is it a gamechanger? Unlikely, but it should be understood that it is *technically* against the rules  of WIS and GD.

2/9/2015 6:48 PM
Posted by lvnwrth on 2/9/2015 6:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by johnnyf on 2/6/2015 12:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by lvnwrth on 2/6/2015 9:45:00 AM (view original):

Hmmm...wondering about all this...and what you do with this one:

When Randy Moss was dismissed from the Notre Dame football team, Lou Holtz called his friend, Bobby Bowden, and told him he should give Moss a chance to start over with a clean slate at Florida State.  Collusion?

How would that be collusion? Nothing being agreed to here. 

Johnnyf....your response is my point, exactly.  If another coach asks me, "Are you still interested in Johnny Fumble?" and I reply, "Nope."  what is being agreed to?  No one has ever asked me that, and I have never asked or answered such a sitemail.  But, I really don't see a problem there.

Except we're not talking about a recruit here that FSU and Notre Dame discussed. Moss was declared a transfer since he signed a LOI with Notre Dame and Holtz(or whomever, Holtz now denies that he did) pulled the scholarship offer afterwards. So Holtz(or whomever) calling Bowden suggesting that he should give Moss a chance is in no way, no how collusion. Collusion in this situation would be Bowden calling Holtz asking him to give a chance to get Moss as a transfer and telling Moss that he would block transfers to any other school by FSU. But since there's no transfer system in this game, two coaches can't collude about a player who can't switch teams. 

Now in your second example, with one coach calling another about Johnny Fumble, if he's an uncommitted recruit then that would be collusion by WIS standards. 
2/9/2015 7:32 PM
I understand that it is technically against the rules.  And, as I said, I have neither asked nor been asked that question.  But, if some coach did ask me, I would probably answer; because sometimes, rules are stupid and serve no useful purpose.
2/11/2015 3:29 PM
The question should be philosophical and not technical.  A nitpicky argument about what constitutes collusion and what does not is beside the point.  If new players are allowed to perceive that they are being ganged up on, they will quietly run away, and the game will continue to suffer the slow death it seems to be going through. People need to understand that collusion is not happening.  Even if a veteran might find WIS' blanket statement about collusion ham-handed, it is important for a newbie to read.
2/19/2015 9:33 AM
What stops coaches from list sharing using private emails? wonder if this has ever happened with schools that are close and a power in all divisions? One could save money knowing not to go for a certain player and knowing they wouldn't battle a certain coach. Just seems to me that anyone could get around the rules if this game was such a big deal to get an edge.
2/20/2015 9:05 AM
I suggest that when we find 2 coaches  doing improper things between them, we should be able to put up 25 cents a month to protect us from it and they should call it Collusion Insurance !        .  Badump bump :-)
3/3/2015 2:47 PM
This has got to be the stupidest thread of all time.

Under no circumstances is it allowed to share lists for the purpose of recruiting(as per the letter of law"fairplay")

HOWEVER,  it doesn't say anything about me, you or anyone picking out your favorite recruit "hairstyles", using the Blog tab on the recruit(PROVIDED BY WIS) and posting it on facebook or twitter.

So if anyone in Leahy is interested in seeing what my favorite hairstyles are then look me up on the facebook WIS GD group.  
3/26/2015 11:46 AM
Nothing beats a recruit with an eye patch!  
3/26/2015 11:51 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.