High PER, LP, DEF; Mediocre Athlete Topic

Posted by ab90 on 1/31/2015 6:22:00 PM (view original):
I suppose maybe I should have. Perhaps he will go off into the ether that is non-HD and have a successful career in a game engine of another dimension.

I do, though, already have a PG with zero athleticism, so I feel like I need to be overly athletic to compensate for recruiting such a scrub one night while drunk.
I think this is a very fallacious way of thinking.  If you have a guy at the 1 or 2 who can't shoot at all, you might need to compensate for that with extra PER at the 3 to prevent - defenses doubling your one shooter.  But you don't need to compensate for ATH with ATH.  If the guy is an all-around poor defender - probably pretty likely - you might need to compensate for that with better defenders at other positions, especially if you play zone.  But it doesn't have to be heavily ATH based.  This guy would be a pretty good defender at the 3, or at least average.  I'm not sure I would have signed him, either, because I don't think he's exceptional on either side of the ball.  If both PER and LP were high potential, though, he might have been worth a flyer.
2/1/2015 7:43 PM
Posted by milwood on 1/31/2015 6:51:00 PM (view original):
Maybe I don't look at ath enough for a point guard. I suppose I value it more in other positions. So would this guy not be acceptable because of his ath. What do you need for a pg

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=2892964
He's a below-average defender with that ATH, but you can probably overlook it with his offensive skill set.  Especially if you have a plus defender at the 2 to help cover for him on the outside of your zone.
2/1/2015 7:46 PM
I think that is really my question, dahs. I value speed more than ath in guards. Is 40 ath, 90 speed, and 70 def a below average defender for a pg? He still has a little bit of growth left.
2/2/2015 11:12 AM
He isn't below average.   He'll get beat up by a hi ATH, hi LP but even then I don't think it will be to bad.   This guy is a borderline elite defender at D2.
2/2/2015 11:43 AM
He's part of a zone that will play mostly 3-2. The other two are a little better defensively.
2/2/2015 12:14 PM
He's fine then.  Good even!
2/2/2015 1:04 PM
◂ Prev 12
High PER, LP, DEF; Mediocre Athlete Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.