Yankees 2015 (33-25) - 2.5 Game Lead Topic

Exactly a third of the way through the season.  The Yankees are in first place and on a pace to win 87 games.  Didn't really expect this, but I don't think that anybody expected the division to be as upside-down as it is, with the Orioles and Red Sox struggling, and with Tampa hanging tough near the top of the division.

Teixiera is having a nice season so far in run production, with 16 homers and 41 ribbies.  Ellsbury was having a great season, with a .324 AVG and .412 OBP until ending up on the DL.  He's expected back by the end of June.

Stephen Drew has been stinking it up with a .165 AVG.  Finding a replacement for him might be something to look into.

Michael Pineda (7-2, 1.17 WHIP, 3.33 ERA) has been solid on the mound.  And the combo of Dellin Betances and Andrew Miller have been outstanding out of the bullpen so far.  Combined, they have pitched 54.1 innings, allowing only 18 hits and 3 earned runs (that.s a 0.50 ERA), with 89 K's, 22 walks and 18 saves.

On the flip side . . . CC Sabathia has been horrible (2-7, 1.47 WHIP, 5.45 ERA).  Might be time to stick a fork in him . . . he might be done.  Ivan Nova is just starting rehab assignments, so if he can come back in the next couple of weeks he could be a positive factor in the second half of the season.

6/4/2015 9:52 AM (edited)
Stephen Drew
6/4/2015 9:41 AM
Posted by Tdiddy on 6/4/2015 9:41:00 AM (view original):
Stephen Drew
Yeah.  WTF was I thinking?
6/4/2015 9:53 AM
I think the Yankees are stuck with CC. Pencil him in as a 4th starter and hope he can give you 5-6 innings and keep the game close. I doubt the Yanks can trade him...they would have to eat a big portion of his contract and who would take a gamble on him?

I think it's time to bring up Refsnyder...let's see what his bat can do at the major league level and replace him defensively late in the game with Drew. Pirella had his chance too.
6/4/2015 2:41 PM
Not sure what teams may be sellers for second baseman...or who would be available. It would have to be a player the Yanks could get for cheap.
6/4/2015 2:46 PM
Seattle would probably love to dump Cano.   If they'd agree to pay half his salary, I'd be all in on that.
6/4/2015 2:50 PM
I've thought about Cano too Mike. It's an interesting idea. But I would guess Seattle is thinking Cano will eventually hit; they signed Cruz and now just traded for Trumbo and are trying to win now and in the near future. The Yanks would probably have to give up a lot for Cano too. If I'm the Yankees I wouldn't want to give up much...consider it, as you said, a salary dump for the M's.

I think the only way something like that gets done is if Cano starts complaining he wants out of Seattle. And I don't see Cano as the kind of guy that would mouth off like that to the press.

MIght Zobrist be a possibility? Not a good defensive second baseman, but I think his bat would play nice at Yankee Stadium and I like that he is a switch hitter. Drew could sub in defensively late in the game and you could even move Zobrist to RF to spell Beltran at the same time.
6/4/2015 8:11 PM
Cano isn't going anywhere. And the Yankees probably wouldn't want to take on that deal. Better to save the money for Upton/Price/Tulo this offseason.
6/5/2015 1:42 PM
I don't think the Yanks are players for Upton or Tulo. Price is interesting, but I don't think they get him either. I don't see the Yanks making a major splash signing any free agents in the off season at all.

I think Zobrist would be a good target for the Yanks this season, but he might be coveted by many teams which could up the price for him too much for the Yanks.
6/5/2015 4:42 PM
I don't think the Yanks will be players in the FA market.   With ARod, Texiera and CC eating up payroll, they really can't dump a pile of money into another aging player.
6/5/2015 4:45 PM
Right Mike. The Yanks will wait until those salaries you mentioned fall off the books before they make a splash for a FA again. It's a great time to bring up young players and get them integrated.

Look for ARod to have a big game tonight. He hits Weaver pretty good. If Evoaldi can pitch carefully to Trout and Pujols, the Yanks have a good chance to win tonight.
6/5/2015 5:27 PM
Yankees win their 7th in a row last night, defeating the Nats and Max Scherzer by a 6-1 score.

Tanaka improves to 4-1 with a 2.48 ERA.

6/10/2015 8:16 AM
6/10/2015 8:20 AM
Brendan Ryan activated. Whoo Hooo!!! Looks like Drew is starting to at least hit the long ball...poor man's version of Mark Teixiera. Big power and no batting average.
6/10/2015 11:50 AM
.268/.371/.502

Unfortunately for the Yanks, they're now tied with the Rays and the best team in the AL (by run differential) is only a game back.
6/15/2015 6:16 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11 Next ▸
Yankees 2015 (33-25) - 2.5 Game Lead Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.