I'm pretty sure if I picked up a D2 team in the same world that I had a D1 team in, cut the best D2 senior they had and signed him to my D1 team, a lot of people would be up in arms.  This kind of thing is really only advantageous when you're in a situation like piman314...first season at a D1 school, 9 ships to fill, below average prestige...but I too would do this in Tark if you guys OK'ed it and got WIS to sign off on it.
4/24/2015 9:29 PM
Honestly, how would you feel if I jump to a FLEX-FCP D1 team in Tark with 6 open 'ships next season, hop back on Millersville with another one of my IDs, and cut this guy, giving myself the inside edge at getting him...

www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx

4/24/2015 9:54 PM
Okay Colonels, again, myself and Branson are not the same person.  I know I can't prove innocence and for whatever reason you are going to drag my name through the mud, but so be it.  You have now brought into question every team I've ever built by calling me a cheater.  My national title (yes, my pitiful 1 but I am proud of it in terms of video game pride), my solid UConn team, you're bringing all my teams into it.  At least let me make sure I have the charges right.

1.  I move to St. Joe's and cut 3 guys so I have 9 open scholarships with 6 schollies.  I am changing offenses and defenses and recruiting with a C-, but I say to myself "hey, I could be really good this year if I get myself a DIII PG."  Above you say this is advantageous for a coach filling 9 schollies.  How?  It is much more advantageous for a team that feels they are one player away from making a run in the national tournament.

2.  I spend $13 (less? you said there is a promo going on right now?) and scour all of the DIII available teams to find a guy that I think can help me at DI.  I find one with a 40 athleticism and 40 defense and say BINGO (check my other teams and past rosters and tell me how many low ath and def guys I recruit.  I could count them on one hand.  Yet I really wanted this guy).

3.  I go the school (Roger Williams, but I only know because I checked, so I would also be breaking the 1000 mile rule along with collusion,but hey, it's okay to make this accusation with no proof, it's not your name your slandering), and cut the guy.

4.  Meanwhile, at St. Joes, I recruit a bunch of guards.  I am currently running a line-up where my 3rd string center has a 20 in rebounding, my 4th string a 15.  Apparently I forgot I was sending myself a guard while recruiting and needed more bigs so I could be a power this year. 

5.  I sign said guard.  Yay! Now my win total for the year will be 6 instead of 4.  What an advantage!  That was well worth the aggravation and money it cost me.  Meanwhile I still only have 3 bigs (and a 4th whose is ineligible).  Again, speaking hypothetically because me and Branson are not the same person.  Just to be clear if we were the same person I would be breaking the rules in a big way and should be punished, but, again, we are not the same person.

Colonels I think you are smart, maybe too smart or at least logical.  You are assuming that a new player (Branson) knows what they are doing.  I know when I started I had no clue.  I remember my first season I only wanted guards that were at least 6'4" because I was playing zone and wanted length to deflect passes and shoot over.  I had no idea height was just window dressing.  I was at York PA and recruited a guy in HI against a HI school because he was the highest rated player I could get (and obviously lost said battle).  Then I redshirted a guy, who didn't take it well and his WE went to 1.  Didn't know I could take the RS off.  First time players (and guys who have played 100s of seasons) make mistakes. 

You are also assuming that everybody would build a team the same way you would.  That simply isn't the case.  You just took over my Millersville team in Tark (which is the real kicker of all this, you may not have even been in Tark to annoy me with this if I hadn't left Millersville for you to take over).  You have 5 solid guards coming back.  Yet you recruited a guard with 27 in ath and 38 (or so) in defense.  Good for you.  I hope it works, I'd like to see Millersville stay good, I really would.  But I wouldn't have recruited a guy like that in that situation.  You did what you thought was best for your team, just like Branson did.  Others may disagree, tough luck for them.  It's your team, you can build it how you want, just like he can. 

Next, I'm not going to argue that Branson may be a second user and there was some sort of collusion going on, but it wasn't me.  What are the chances, really, that the guy who cut the player is the same guy who recruited him back.  Here is another completely plausible situation.  A guy takes over a new DII school, wasn't in the world the previous season.  Pretty good school, let's say an A+ prestige.  They have 8 talented players coming back, but they are missing a PG.  Only one guard on the roster in fact has a passing rating of 70 (stupid previous coach).  So this player grabs a second team in the same world with a new user name.  He makes sure this DIII team has a PG that he would consider a solid DII PG.  After picking up said team he cuts the PG and tries to jump him the next recruiting cycle.  But the plan hits a snag.  A school he didn't expect jumps the recruit and takes him.  Plan didn't work.  Coach is upset.  So what better way to get revenge on the person who stole your player then to drag the other coach's name through the mud.  Nobody ever suspects the accuser,, this guy knows because he's made accusations before.  What do you think Colonels, that scenario is probably more plausible than yours even, no?
4/24/2015 10:36 PM
pinman, did you have to battle anybody for Gram? If so, who?
4/24/2015 10:54 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
a couple of thoughts

1.  sometimes people cut a lot of guys from their roster when they takeover and dont really care about current season success - they want to get rid of the players and start new guys growing - may not be the smart move, but people do it

2. as someone noted, if you cut players, sometimes a player you dont cut will leave - cause his buddy was cut and he is peeved - dont know if that is what happened

3. there is often a lot of competition for 1 year players.  People like to grab one of them to fill their roster and DI schools will spend more than "value" for that roster benefit.  Usually the bidding for 1 year players is higher than value merits even if they are pretty much useless.  One year players who are useful tend to get bid up - so this is unlikely to succeed as a path to collusion if that was what it was

4/25/2015 6:00 AM
well said metsmax. point 3 is basically a better explanation of the the point i was trying to make earlier.
4/25/2015 8:00 AM
<p>You're not paranoid if everyone really is out to get you.....</p>
4/25/2015 8:24 AM
Piman seems too credible to pull this.
4/25/2015 1:42 PM
An owner admitting he would cheat if he thought he could get away with it should be the story now.
4/25/2015 2:05 PM
how far away is the player who piman signed? if over 360, it basically proves there is nothing fishy here, the "inside edge" colonels speaks of could exist if you cut and pick up the player strategically, if it was a player who would be competitively recruited at d1 (not the case here, it seems). i am not sure actually what the deal with transfers is, do you even know where they will locate themselves for recruiting? is it wherever you recruited them from?

basically, cutting a guy from d3 to help your d1 team is the dumbest idea i've ever heard - the only reasonable case is if you cut a senior transfer so your d1 team could keep his carryover . this is just another ridiculous thread by colonels, incriminating those who have done nothing wrong. his last one was that because an A+ school took a player off his B- or so mid major, a 4/5 star player, he must be colluding with the other school who was fighting colonels for some crap mid major type player. in that incident, colonels was dumb enough to battle the A+ school, and thus lost both players, and just had sour grapes. not really sure what his motivation is in this case, but its probably not much better.
4/25/2015 2:41 PM
Posted by frymaster99 on 4/25/2015 2:05:00 PM (view original):
An owner admitting he would cheat if he thought he could get away with it should be the story now.
it would be, but its colonels, self-professed cheater, and resident forum troll.
4/25/2015 2:42 PM
I trust piman. He's making a lot more sense than colonels.
4/25/2015 3:24 PM
Just curious... why do people use several usernames? There are 10 Worlds, so a team in each World would be enough teams to compete with i would think. You could still have 3 teams at each level, spread across each World.

The cynic in me thinks that people might do it so that their Div-1 school can buy FSS scouting for their Div-3 school. Can you imagine the advantage of free FSS each year in New York for example, for a Div-3 school? Luckily I'm not cynical.
:)
4/25/2015 4:38 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 4/25/2015 4:40:00 PM (view original):
Just curious... why do people use several usernames? There are 10 Worlds, so a team in each World would be enough teams to compete with i would think. You could still have 3 teams at each level, spread across each World.

The cynic in me thinks that people might do it so that their Div-1 school can buy FSS scouting for their Div-3 school. Can you imagine the advantage of free FSS each year in New York for example, for a Div-3 school? Luckily I'm not cynical.
:)
I often wonder the same. Must cost quite a good chunk of change, too, to pay for so many teams in so many worlds for so many seasons.
4/25/2015 4:45 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...7 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.