Is there a SIM upset mode? I am starting to think there is one. I get some insanely bizarre game where I shoot Under .400 against bad defense, I get Under .400 on the line. It seems to happen more in non-conference games than in other games.

Check this last one, it's like... I could have planned anything, I was doomed.

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=11893893

I am about to Schedule only human versus human games.
5/4/2015 4:49 PM
I can almost pick the game my whole team falls flat each season.  Maybe not what you call an upset mode, just a fall flat mode that in some cases you actually also get another Sim team having the same "flat" day, which allows for some awful games every once in a while too.
5/4/2015 5:09 PM
If it's programmed, which seems to be the case, they need to get rid of it and let random take care of things. It's frustrating for obvious reasons : it can change your rpi, change your NT or pit seed or even get you out of the tournaments. Plus, it makes you second guess your team , your coaching in every aspect of the game .
5/4/2015 6:06 PM
Hey zorzii, I agree with your theory. I see it happen all the time, to others and it's happened to myself as well.
5/4/2015 8:15 PM
Posted by zorzii on 5/4/2015 6:06:00 PM (view original):
If it's programmed, which seems to be the case, they need to get rid of it and let random take care of things. It's frustrating for obvious reasons : it can change your rpi, change your NT or pit seed or even get you out of the tournaments. Plus, it makes you second guess your team , your coaching in every aspect of the game .
Theres no "off nights" programmed into the game that causes these upsets.  Simply bad luck, and too small of a sample size to have the statistics correct themselves.
5/4/2015 8:52 PM
Bizarre upsets happen in real life too
5/4/2015 11:31 PM
I remember the ranting and ravings of a madman that had a similar theory...and that didn't end well for anyone.
5/5/2015 12:06 AM
The guy that helped me when I started in this game told me that I was going to lose a couple of games a season that I should not lose and I was going to win a few games a season that I should not win.
Having said that, I have had a couple crazy results I have been on the short end of lately. I beat a team by 28 which beat a team I was going to play later in the season by 39. I was 20 team ratings points better in both Athlete and Defense and over 100 rating points overall than the second team that lost by 39 to the team I beat by 28.Of course I ended up losing in OT to the second team--which was a Sim team. It might end up costing me an NT bid. 
5/5/2015 1:03 AM
Tooslim If it's random, I don't mind. If it's not, fix it. That's my point. Maybe random has a way of producing strange games.
5/5/2015 7:26 AM
Posted by zorzii on 5/5/2015 7:26:00 AM (view original):
Tooslim If it's random, I don't mind. If it's not, fix it. That's my point. Maybe random has a way of producing strange games.
Well zorzii, much like the female mind the powers that be will never tell us and we will never know.
5/5/2015 8:03 AM
I would be shocked if it is programmed.

Its the behavior of a system that is, at bottom, based on random number generation - there will be surprising oddities in any small sample (a game) out of a large set of data (a team's season, multiple teams' seasons)
5/5/2015 8:35 AM
If something has a 1% chance of happening, then after a 1,000 career games it should happen, oh ten times!

Weird crap happens.  Wait until the DEF player of the year fouls a guy with 0:01 seconds on the clock and the D FT shooter sinks two shots to win in the NT game.   Tho
5/5/2015 10:11 AM
I seem to lose a couple games about every season to sims I should have no right losing to. A couple seasons ago I lost to a couple teams I was favored by 40+. However, I don't recall winning games the past 3 or 4 seasons that I shouldn't. I've learned to roll with the punches, hoping I'll get the wins I'm not supposed to get sometime soon, preferably in the NT. 

However, I am getting really sick of people saying, "It happens in real life too", like that's the be all end all excuse for anything that can't be explained away. But when you bring up a suggestion like whitey34 made in another topic about giving teams home court advantage in the D3 NT early rounds games, it gets no response from those of you whom like to point to real life. Really frustrating when peoples' philosophies are so inconsistent. Sorry, just felt the need to vent.
5/6/2015 8:35 AM
Posted by tooslim on 5/5/2015 8:03:00 AM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 5/5/2015 7:26:00 AM (view original):
Well zorzii, much like the female mind the powers that be will never tell us and we will never know.
they told us, its random. there is no sim upset factor or anything like that.
5/6/2015 10:51 AM
supersloth, well, yeah, I'm the one in this thread who said something about "real life." your point about D3 home games in the NT is unrelated to this discussion. a lack of statement in another thread does not indicate an inconsistent philosophy. it indicates a lack of a statement in another thread. period. next topic.

do you think NJIT should have beat michigan last season? or incarnate word @ nebraska? these things DO happen every season in real life. my question to people that complain about this is always gonna be, "so do you want the higher-rated team to just win every game?" what would be the point of playing then? it would just be recruiting. anyway, there are many threads about this wherein people express their frustration, mystified that the RNG dealt them a crap game. it's easier to remember the ridiculous losses sometimes than the lucky wins.

i mean, one of my teams this season has already lost 2 games i thought we had no business losing, but what can you do? sometimes your team is going lay an egg, or your opponent is going to shoot the lights out, and there's nothing you can do.
5/6/2015 12:21 PM
123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.