Critical news debate Topic

Posted by overeasy on 5/7/2015 5:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by alleyviper on 5/7/2015 5:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 4:53:00 PM (view original):
Again, to repeat myself, if I can see current ratings, I'm less inclined to care about projections.    Give me a current 75 and I'll take him over a 60 current every time.    And, if I can get that with 0 scouting, I'm all in with 0 scouting.    Which changes nothing from what happens today.
So, again, tie a prospect's current ratings to your scouting instead of eliminating current ratings entirely.

e: honestly, it may not be a bad idea to tie *all* ratings of all players to scouting, current and projected
If all ratings were tied to scouting, that would just swing the pendulum to the opposite spectrum with everyone budgeting 16-20M and leaving it alone.  The trick is making it have some value to make people budget for it but also leaving the option for folks to choose not to.
Correct.   The objective it to move some away from 0 but not all to 20. 
5/7/2015 5:27 PM
Posted by mongoose_22 on 5/7/2015 3:49:00 PM (view original):
I'm all about this. Nicely done WIS (hopefully). It'll suck coming off the 0 in ADV, but its looks like this should add more spice and variety to the game. 

In reference to an enhanced HoF, I really hope that means that they will actually show the position the player played in their career instead of a HoF full of LF, 1B, DH even though he actually played 2B or SS or whatever and just moved to LF for the last season of his career. 
I agree mongoose. I had a guy who had a decent shot at the HOF as a 1B(which he played 95% of the time) but little chance when they listed him as a DH.
5/7/2015 5:28 PM
Quote post by arcticlegend on 5/7/2015 4:06:00 PM:

If people start using adv, what will they cut? For me the number one reason to do 0 adv is that there are just too many other places I'd rather spend the money. I have no idea what I'll cut if I start using money for adv.

I suspect you'll see fewer teams max out prospect budgets -- especially since int'l demands will start out lower.

These are all going to be interesting changes to deal with, especially for us longtime players. I'm sure we'll **** and moan about it for a couple weeks, but then get used to it and find something else to complain about. At the very least, this should freshen the game up and add a challenging element.
5/7/2015 5:30 PM
Posted by arcticlegend on 5/7/2015 4:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mrincubus on 5/7/2015 4:03:00 PM (view original):
Am patient and curious enough to see these in action before judgment, but I feel like not giving players some sort of grace period (either a higher change limit than $4M or an outright reset a la new owner) to realign budgets for a new game experience is a mistake. And I say that as someone with $8M or so in ADV across all my teams already.
Just curious, why would you spend $8 on adv? That's way too low to get accurate projections. At that point, you're basically just wasting $8 aren't you?
I don't think so. It just gives you something instead of nothing.
5/7/2015 5:33 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 5:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by overeasy on 5/7/2015 5:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by alleyviper on 5/7/2015 5:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 4:53:00 PM (view original):
Again, to repeat myself, if I can see current ratings, I'm less inclined to care about projections.    Give me a current 75 and I'll take him over a 60 current every time.    And, if I can get that with 0 scouting, I'm all in with 0 scouting.    Which changes nothing from what happens today.
So, again, tie a prospect's current ratings to your scouting instead of eliminating current ratings entirely.

e: honestly, it may not be a bad idea to tie *all* ratings of all players to scouting, current and projected
If all ratings were tied to scouting, that would just swing the pendulum to the opposite spectrum with everyone budgeting 16-20M and leaving it alone.  The trick is making it have some value to make people budget for it but also leaving the option for folks to choose not to.
Correct.   The objective it to move some away from 0 but not all to 20. 
For instance, in Cooperstown, only 2 owners who could be at 0 in ADV are not at 0.   That gives an indication of the value of ADV.     You don't want to create the exact opposite by tying everything to ADV scouting, or any scouting, because all you've done is flipped the table. 
5/7/2015 5:37 PM
Prospects (until signed) will only display projected ratings instead of both current and projected ratings.  This change was necessary to best accomplish the next item...

I don't necessarily agree with this. Why would a scout be able to project what a guy will be, but not be able to tell you what he is now? That doesn't make sense. Also, his projections will be based on HS/Coll scouting $$, not ADV, which would only kick in after he was on your roster. Is this correct?
5/7/2015 5:41 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 4:17:00 PM (view original):
The plus side of 1-8 or A-F would be no more "None of my guys reach their projections" complaints.
Most guys don't reach their full projections, in my experience.
5/7/2015 5:43 PM
We've been discussing that for 2-3 pages.    Showing current for prospects does not create an incentive to move away from 0. 
5/7/2015 5:43 PM
Posted by torrone on 5/7/2015 5:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 4:17:00 PM (view original):
The plus side of 1-8 or A-F would be no more "None of my guys reach their projections" complaints.
Most guys don't reach their full projections, in my experience.
No one knows what the "real" projections are so that's not surprising.
5/7/2015 5:45 PM
I would also like to know.  Will a draft prospect's projections be based on HS/Coll scouting $$ or Adv scouting $$?
5/7/2015 5:45 PM
I have a problem with not being able to reset my 0 ADV with only one of my teams.  Most of my teams I made my bed and now have to lie in it...but my team in Billy Beane I took over just a couple of weeks ago, in the playoffs, and it had a 0 ADV budget.  I have a problem with the fact that I took that on with no knowledge that the update was coming, and now cannot change it to accommodate the update and never had any of the perceived pre-update benefits of it.  I'm sure that's a rare scenario, but there must be at least a few people who will be affected very negatively by that, and whom WIS should allow to reset their budgets.
5/7/2015 5:49 PM
Can someone explain why we would not be able to see historical ratings for other teams players? Why would this be an issue? To see how quickly a guy is progressing or declining? I don't really understand the usefulness or reasoning behind this change.
5/7/2015 5:49 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by bjschumacher on 5/7/2015 5:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by overeasy on 5/7/2015 3:33:00 PM (view original):
Am I missing something?  Other than losing the ability to predict the final ratings for other people's prospects, I am not seeing a strong pull to alter my Advanced scouting budget in this update.
Yes, I thought this as well. I think we should be allowed to change our ADV by more than 4M the first season that this change takes affect.
The more I think about this, I don't think this will affect my strategy on ADV much at all, assuming the prospect projections are still based on the HS/COL/IFA scout budgets.
5/7/2015 5:51 PM
Posted by torrone on 5/7/2015 5:49:00 PM (view original):
Can someone explain why we would not be able to see historical ratings for other teams players? Why would this be an issue? To see how quickly a guy is progressing or declining? I don't really understand the usefulness or reasoning behind this change.
Exactly.   Development patterns make ADV useless.   If I can't see the development pattern of your guy, I have to rely on projections if we're to make a trade.
5/7/2015 5:52 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...54 Next ▸
Critical news debate Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.