Moving up to D1 Topic

in my limited experience, i think either tkimble or colonels could be right. i think it's probably more like, 'go big' OR 'go deep.' going big gives you a better chance to compete at a high level. going deep can make you competitive quickly. plus, you can't really go big with a D prestige rebuild right away--it's easier to go deep the first few years while you're getting your prestige to the point where going big is a viable strategy.

regarding the well-rounded guys, I don't think it's bad to have a guy like that who can play 3 positions as a backup.
6/2/2015 12:06 PM

Basically, recruiting in D1 can lead to post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms:

From the Mayo Clinic website on PTSD:
Symptoms of changes in emotional reactions (also called arousal symptoms) may include:

• Irritability, angry outbursts or aggressive behavior ("damn that other coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
  • Always being on guard for danger (looking at every school in the country and trying to figure out if they are coming after your considering list)
  • Overwhelming guilt or shame ("arghhhhhh, I should have locked up that guy instead of leaving him 'open to other offers'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!")
  • Self-destructive behavior, such as drinking too much or driving too fast ('nuff said)
  • Trouble concentrating (because all I can think about is HD during recruiting, watching the clock waiting for the next cycle)
  • Trouble sleeping (waking up in the middle of the night to make a move on a recruit or make sure you aren't being attacked)
  • Being easily startled or frightened (getting more and more jumpy as signings come closer)
6/2/2015 1:22 PM
As someone who, if I qualify, plans to try D1 out soon I am wondering what level of recruit will talk to D-/D schools.  I figured that would be a good starting point as it shouldnt be hard to become competitive in those conferences. 
6/2/2015 1:54 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 6/2/2015 7:34:00 AM (view original):
Look at my new Orleans team
A total of three NT wins in 17 seasons. Great reason to not take your advice.
6/2/2015 1:57 PM
Colonels is a solid coach. All views can work in this game as long as you stick with your plan. There are many ways to get wins and build a Nice program. First thing to change in D1 is tone down conférence money. I'd reduce it by 50%. It Will Help the game a lot.
6/2/2015 6:00 PM
I agree. I've beat the drum on that issue for years.
6/2/2015 6:39 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 6/2/2015 1:57:00 PM (view original):
Says the spoiled **** that knows only the riches of high d1...come down to low d1 and I'll pwn you
6/2/2015 6:41 PM
Sorry, I should have clarified: My tips are for building a team that can compete in the NT.  This obviously comes with greater risk (you can end up with teams that don't make the NT like my recent Marquette teams), but you also get a much greater reward of not getting bounced in the 1st round every year.  
6/2/2015 6:44 PM
You have 2 NT wins at Marquette in 15 or so seasons...what are you talking about?
6/2/2015 7:03 PM
I'll be honest - Marquette has gone terribly so far.  Honestly, I would have done well to pay more attention to my own tips.  I've been filling classes, taking on filler players because I needed the position at the time (Arthur Joyce, Adolfo Ferrari), taking guys without elite skills, etc.  It's been bad.
6/2/2015 7:51 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 6/2/2015 6:41:00 PM (view original):
Says the spoiled **** that knows only the riches of high d1...come down to low d1 and I'll pwn you
No you wouldn't, and how do you think I got to high D1? I didn't just appear there.

How about you stop playing 20+ SIMS every season and apply for Baylor. Put all those elite recruiting tactics you write about to good use, and you'll be competing for conference titles in no time, right?
6/2/2015 8:18 PM
Yeah go Baylor! Prove it

Colonels is sentimental though. He is NO at heart.
6/2/2015 8:47 PM (edited)
Posted by stinenavy on 6/2/2015 8:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 6/2/2015 6:41:00 PM (view original):
No you wouldn't, and how do you think I got to high D1? I didn't just appear there.

How about you stop playing 20+ SIMS every season and apply for Baylor. Put all those elite recruiting tactics you write about to good use, and you'll be competing for conference titles in no time, right?
In Knight you went from Notre Dame to Oklahoma...no low D1 there

I never said I had elite recruiting tactics, I just said I strongly disagreed with tkumble. I'm not leaving NO I'm the only coach in its history and that's my shtick. What I'm saying whinenavy is understand and respect the privilege of high d1...The gap is egregiously ridiculous
6/2/2015 9:21 PM
The gap is egregiously ridiculous (Colonels19) Just for the egregiously word, he does have a point. I think when you get prestige... then money, it's like gettting twice the rewards. It needs to be lessen to some extend. If we could just let smaller market have a better shot at players... There are many ways :

1) Less money... by conference wins.
2) A bench warmer should prefer a low end D1 where he will thrive.
3) Promises should mean a lot more in D1 and broken promises should mean transfer right away, just don't make it 10$, put it like 3000 $ like a HV+CV... which would mean you needed all these things to offer the player this.
4) I agree with base prestige and big 6 logic, but I think there must be a way to give smaller market some edge, like school preference occuring more often.
6/2/2015 9:44 PM (edited)
To be fair, stine has pretty extensive experience in low D1, although he's clearly not a mid-major lifer anywhere, he knows what it's about. 

That said, I agree with a couple of zorzii's suggestions--less conference money, promises meaning more, something in the recruit logic in which some players prefer to be a big fish in a small pond and thus prefer a B/C/D prestige schools over A. Having power schools is great, but those are some small ways to put that power in a little more balance. 
6/2/2015 10:14 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Moving up to D1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.